SWFA 10x42 video review

SWFA 10x42 video review

August 13th, 2017, 12:14 am #1

https://youtu.be/9RISnWRTtvA
Hope you guys enjoy the video . It is an incredible scope ,and YES springer rated .

August 13th, 2017, 2:36 am #2

"rear focused". How in the world would this scope be used for hunter class field target shooting where "scope rangefinding" is a large part of the competition. LOL.....even for still hunting squirrels I would first set up with "bucket and sticks" and get a "scope rangefind" of all tree around at the "40 yard line" and wait till squirrels crossed the 40 yard barrier before aiming. I guess that a separate LRF could be used for the same purpose but then that's just another piece of equipment to mess with in the field. Even when stalking squirrels I would do a scope rangefind to determine the proper holdover if the squirrel "stayed put" long enough.

Anywhoo......the "rear focus ring" is a negative issue for my airgun shooting where the pellet can drop an inch between my 30 yard zero and 45 yards as this target shows.......
[/img]

August 13th, 2017, 3:19 am #3

Get the same scope in side focus. I have both and like the rear focus the best, but I don't do field target.

August 13th, 2017, 3:21 am #4

"rear focused". How in the world would this scope be used for hunter class field target shooting where "scope rangefinding" is a large part of the competition. LOL.....even for still hunting squirrels I would first set up with "bucket and sticks" and get a "scope rangefind" of all tree around at the "40 yard line" and wait till squirrels crossed the 40 yard barrier before aiming. I guess that a separate LRF could be used for the same purpose but then that's just another piece of equipment to mess with in the field. Even when stalking squirrels I would do a scope rangefind to determine the proper holdover if the squirrel "stayed put" long enough.

Anywhoo......the "rear focus ring" is a negative issue for my airgun shooting where the pellet can drop an inch between my 30 yard zero and 45 yards as this target shows.......
[/img]
adjustment over my side focus scopes, or objective focus scopes.

FWIW, my SWFA SS scopes (3 or 4 10x scopes, a 12x scope, 3 or 4 16x scopes, & a 20x scope) have a rear focus ring for the eyepiece, but also have a separate parallax adjustment ring on the eyepiece, marked in distances like other scopes parallax adjustment set ups.

I find the rear mounted parallax ring easier to reach from a shooting position.

I believe they also offer a side parallax adjustment scope, but it adds about $100 to the price

Diamondback

Truth is Stranger than Fiction.....

August 13th, 2017, 3:23 am #5

Get the same scope in side focus. I have both and like the rear focus the best, but I don't do field target.
I've had both and like the rear focus better . Field Target and Benchrest have their own special needs for optics. But for the hunter and casual shooter these scopes are REALLY hard to beat

August 13th, 2017, 4:16 am #6

Hope you guys enjoy the video . It is an incredible scope ,and YES springer rated .
not for an air gun though.

I enjoyed the review video.

August 13th, 2017, 6:50 am #7

Absolutely love it so far. I watched all the powder burner reviews on this scope and figured if it's good for ELR shooting to 1200m with a 6.5, it'll do the job for my air rifle!

I did a mil-mil box drill with it dialing to 4 courners mutliple times randomly. always went back to zero. Now i gotta track down some shims to zero it out.

August 13th, 2017, 12:27 pm #8

adjustment over my side focus scopes, or objective focus scopes.

FWIW, my SWFA SS scopes (3 or 4 10x scopes, a 12x scope, 3 or 4 16x scopes, & a 20x scope) have a rear focus ring for the eyepiece, but also have a separate parallax adjustment ring on the eyepiece, marked in distances like other scopes parallax adjustment set ups.

I find the rear mounted parallax ring easier to reach from a shooting position.

I believe they also offer a side parallax adjustment scope, but it adds about $100 to the price

Diamondback

Truth is Stranger than Fiction.....
of the focus ring which would put any marks too close together, if possible at all with this setup......
[/img]
Notice how close together the etched marks between 30 yards and 50 yards are on the ring. Pretty impossible to fit 31-45 yard marks between!

My initial interest in the SWFA was that they offered a fixed 12x mag scope in my price range but the "small diameter rear focus ring" is a "no-go", even for squirrel sniping if I needed to "rangefind" for a 35ish yard shot.
https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-12x42-tactical ... ope-1.html
Another issue for me would be this thin busy reticle........
[/img]
Yesterday was a perfect example of a reticlunlighted reticle........
e getting LOST on a dark target on a dark field target lane where I literally couldn't see the thin unlit crosshairs and mil dots of the Hawke AirMax (same for a squirrel head in the shadows) and had difficulty trying to hold "one mil dot high" when the small mildots were lost! Here is a pic of my Hawke AMX reticle...
[/img]

Seems that the side focus model (an extra $100) doesn't come in a fixed 12x version but the side focus 10x version uses the same unlit busy reticle as the rear focus model.
Anywhoo, even though the scope is advertized to parallay down to 10 yards there really seems to be a mismatch for my airgunning unless used under perfect shooting conditions at distances between the near zero and far zero (about 18 yards to 30 yards in my case).

August 13th, 2017, 2:47 pm #9

Absolutely love it so far. I watched all the powder burner reviews on this scope and figured if it's good for ELR shooting to 1200m with a 6.5, it'll do the job for my air rifle!

I did a mil-mil box drill with it dialing to 4 courners mutliple times randomly. always went back to zero. Now i gotta track down some shims to zero it out.
these scopes were designed for killing stuff other then field targets, recreation was not a consideration when designing these..Ive got the 10x42 mil dot and its great for squirrel hunting or shooting pests.. no problem adjusting it while looking at a squirrel, I hunt by stalking thru the woods from hickory tree to hickory tree.
nice bright clear scopes. About the only thing Im not real wild about on them is the clicks are non existent or very very faint.

August 13th, 2017, 3:08 pm #10

Got one on Fwb124d and one on aa s2oo.177. Best bang for buck in moderate price scopes. You aced it again Joe.nice vid.