Survey for existing & prospective "Hunter" shooters...

Survey for existing & prospective "Hunter" shooters...

November 6th, 2011, 5:05 pm #1

For those with a "dog in the hunt", would you prefer:

1. Excluding match-style guns (e.g., P70) - as it was intended, but not regulated as such.

2. Allowing magnification up-to 24x, but no scopes capable of any more than 24x (i.e., can't turn a 10-50x down to a 24x marking) - to allow reasonable range-finding, with reasonably priced scopes, and while still using using "holdover" (no clicking).

3. Both of the above (1 & 2)

4. None (we're fine, let's just shoot!)

5. Other...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please reply just: #1, #2, #3, or #4 (no text)... but do include text for #5.

Thanks,
HookEm

EDIT: Consolidating clarification comments here:
-----------------------------------------------
- I'm not (personally) advocating for HFT rule changes
- We just allowed for a separate Piston class in Hunter, and I would like to know if, having done that, HFT shooters are fine where we're at (or not).
- My agenda: Just thinking & planning ahead for potential "discussion topics" for next year's BOG.

Last edited by HookEm on November 7th, 2011, 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 6th, 2011, 5:36 pm #2

#4 ........nt

November 6th, 2011, 5:50 pm #3

1. Excluding match-style guns (e.g., P70) - as it was intended, but not regulated as such.

2. Allowing magnification up-to 24x, but no scopes capable of any more than 24x (i.e., can't turn a 10-50x down to a 24x marking) - to allow reasonable range-finding, with reasonably priced scopes, and while still using using "holdover" (no clicking).

5. Other...

Thanks,
HookEm

- We just allowed for a separate Piston class in Hunter, and I would like to know if, having done that, HFT shooters are fine where we're at (or not).
- My agenda: Just thinking & planning ahead for potential "discussion topics" for next year's BOG.
I'd like to see the class go the way of the UK except at our power levels, 20fpe.

And

I'd like to see the adoption of using the terrain or straps as shooting support.
If bipods are legal then it's really more of a "support" class IMO. Aids are aids.

K

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td></td></tr></table>
http://www.diablofieldtarget.org

November 6th, 2011, 6:04 pm #4

5. Other...

Thanks,
HookEm

I like Hunter as is but..............

if change is being discussed, I would go the opposite direction than most.

1) No scope adjustments. No rangefinding, focusing, clicking, changes in illumination, etc. How a shooter starts is how they must finish. This would have the effect of taking the power down to under 10x, probably under 6x.

2) With the scope limit, score faceplate hits. Everyone would understand why.

3) No rifles with match hardware installed.

4) Keep the buckets, sticks, etc.

Paul
Last edited by libertyman777 on November 6th, 2011, 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 6th, 2011, 6:16 pm #5

5. Other...

Thanks,
HookEm

November 6th, 2011, 6:36 pm #6

5. Other...

Thanks,
HookEm

#3 nt

November 6th, 2011, 6:53 pm #7

5. Other...

Thanks,
HookEm

4 nt

lhd

November 6th, 2011, 6:59 pm #8

5. Other...

Thanks,
HookEm

I think a good way to keep folks away is to have a game whose rules keep changing, ESP at the whim of folks who don't even play it.

November 6th, 2011, 7:00 pm #9

5. Other...

Thanks,
HookEm

As far as I'm concerned, folks can hunt with anything they want so why limit the equipment. The pcp /spring split has taken care of that.

Scopes, really... If you are limited to 12x at all times how does the max power of the scope come into play for range finding?
A $1000 12x scope should beat out my $200 8-32 in range finding anyday.

I'd be ok with further limitations on magnification ... Say 4x or allowing any mag level as long as you were not allowed to CHANGE mag during a match at anytime.

If I used 32x at al times I'd be able to range find better than at 12x but my holdover/under numbers would be crazy compared to a near flat hold over/under at 19fpe for all but the close targets.

I've been a proponent, and will remain one, for shoot what you brung for hunter as long as no changes other than range finding are allowed. If we go the the UKHFT rules then many of us will need to rethink scopes.

November 6th, 2011, 7:07 pm #10

5. Other...

Thanks,
HookEm

before getting out the lawn mower!

Trying not to be too critical... But PFT rules have been pending for a couple of years. I have to ask though... Who is asking for change in Hunter? What is the change going to improve? How will this simplify and enhance the class?

If I had to select or give input go HFT, I would say option 5 as Kevin suggested. International rules with option to use up to 20fpe. And no ranging with max 12x optics.