Sumthin has just dawned on me

Sumthin has just dawned on me

lhd

March 19th, 2011, 4:42 am #1

Are there clubs, or individual shooters that would feel threatened or unfairly treated if they were shooting in the Precharged class, and a guy from a "lesser" class, such as springer, or Hunter, or even Pistol decided to enter the open class and shoot straight up against them?

Ifso, lets hear it.

March 19th, 2011, 8:09 am #2

It is what it is, because it is!!!

March 19th, 2011, 1:16 pm #3

Are there clubs, or individual shooters that would feel threatened or unfairly treated if they were shooting in the Precharged class, and a guy from a "lesser" class, such as springer, or Hunter, or even Pistol decided to enter the open class and shoot straight up against them?

Ifso, lets hear it.
sittin' bucket and cross sticks and shoot directly with the "big dogs"! Actually, I guess I kinda do this anyway "in my own mind" because I and my brother (when he still shot ft) would always compare our scores to the open class scores anyway. While we had never shot hft scores that would have taken "match high", we would frequently shoot scores that would place in the top 3 with our R9s. LOL.....ONCE I even shot a score with my HW77 that came 1 point from "match high"....but who's countin' LOL.

A couple months ago I emailed DIFTA for a ruling about my taking my hft setup to the piston class and the reply was "it's against the official rules" (roughly paraphrased). Seemed kinda strange to me since I've seen piston shooters "strap up" and use all kinds of butt hooks and supporting gizmos to steady their aiming/shooting while sittin on the ground, but sittin high on a bucket restin' on cross sticks isn't officially allowed. Oh well....I guess this makes about as much sense as having an official class where folks with rebadged high zoot PCPs are allowed to compete directly with Bill Price and his "Hubbel scoped" B26.

Hummm......I wonder......would it be lawful to take my hft setup to the OPEN class instead of the piston class and still be recognized if a third place score happened.....probably not since the "official rules" are against anything except "pretzel sittin'".

Just lookin' at the question from another point of view......would I feel threatened etc.
Last edited by nced1 on March 19th, 2011, 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 19th, 2011, 1:41 pm #4

Ifso, lets hear it.
say if they want to!!! so does this mean when springer guys start beating pcp's that the whining can stop about being severely desadvantaged up against one lol. i hear Brinkley can tune a Wiscomb pretty darn good!!

sincerely,
Ronnie
NorCal Air Gunners
Ronnie Easton
President

March 19th, 2011, 1:51 pm #5

Ifso, lets hear it.
but the only time i have thought about entering open was when i was the only springer. I tend like to see myself about half way up the open ranks though. very few egos would be at risk if i shot open. It also would seem slightly arrogant to enter open. Kinda like trying to prove something. (be sure and remind me of what i just said if i stray). Thankfully we seem to be growing some in both springer and hunter at our club and I have sufficiant challengers from the likes of Bill Tramel, Hector, James, Ron and others. Open now seems to be the tail waging the dog.

March 19th, 2011, 1:56 pm #6

Ifso, lets hear it.
a few weeks ago and got very little response. Obviously most shooters in the higher classes would not enjoy being challenged by a old fart sittin on a bucket otherwise someone might of at least spoke up when the question was proposed. IMHO!

March 19th, 2011, 2:37 pm #7

sittin' bucket and cross sticks and shoot directly with the "big dogs"! Actually, I guess I kinda do this anyway "in my own mind" because I and my brother (when he still shot ft) would always compare our scores to the open class scores anyway. While we had never shot hft scores that would have taken "match high", we would frequently shoot scores that would place in the top 3 with our R9s. LOL.....ONCE I even shot a score with my HW77 that came 1 point from "match high"....but who's countin' LOL.

A couple months ago I emailed DIFTA for a ruling about my taking my hft setup to the piston class and the reply was "it's against the official rules" (roughly paraphrased). Seemed kinda strange to me since I've seen piston shooters "strap up" and use all kinds of butt hooks and supporting gizmos to steady their aiming/shooting while sittin on the ground, but sittin high on a bucket restin' on cross sticks isn't officially allowed. Oh well....I guess this makes about as much sense as having an official class where folks with rebadged high zoot PCPs are allowed to compete directly with Bill Price and his "Hubbel scoped" B26.

Hummm......I wonder......would it be lawful to take my hft setup to the OPEN class instead of the piston class and still be recognized if a third place score happened.....probably not since the "official rules" are against anything except "pretzel sittin'".

Just lookin' at the question from another point of view......would I feel threatened etc.
And that pcp smooth shooting tricked out R9. Time to strap up and take a yoga class pretzel style. lol.

"Thumper2"

March 19th, 2011, 4:12 pm #8

Ifso, lets hear it.
I suppose a club/MD could offer an award for 'overall match winner' (highest score among all divisions)... We sort of do that mentally anyway, for example:
"Johnny Ingram wins ROT"
http://www.network54.com/Forum/451309/m ... m+wins+ROT

Now, if we did have an "Open" division, I suppose that would imply that any type of rig (including Hunter) would compete on equal footing - And, if that were to happen, I'd expect the power-plant of choice would be PCP's... Question is: Would you restrict 'bucket' users to 12x scopes (as in 'Hunter' today)? - Seems like that would run contrary to the "open" concept.

Bottom line, it seems like what you're really asking is: How about an "Open" division where you could you use buckets + bipods, without any other restrictions. That is, removing all of the restrictions we currently have in the "Hunter" division: so that you could use butt-hooks, straps, shooting jackets, full-power scopes, etc... all while seating on a bucket, and resting the rifle on a bipod.

HookEm

March 19th, 2011, 4:16 pm #9

Ifso, lets hear it.
Larry,in my opinion it takes more skill & a much more challege to shoot a springer then a PCP.All FT clubs will welcome a FT newbie regardless of their intended level of FT air rifle preference.So the with a few exception most PCP's(more power & recoilless) cost alot more than a springer but the mere fact your shooting skills(consistent hold) will definitely improve by shooting a springer over a PCP,which cann't be all that bad.And I feel that just because an springer air rifle cost less than a PCP doesn't mean it's for a lesser class shooter.ALL SHOOTERS ARE WELCOME!!!

March 19th, 2011, 5:00 pm #10

And that pcp smooth shooting tricked out R9. Time to strap up and take a yoga class pretzel style. lol.

"Thumper2"
Class and ditch the Fancy Pants Class, lol, just kiddin' Ed!!!

Regards,

Tony