SUGRU for Custom Grip. Anyone??

SUGRU for Custom Grip. Anyone??

January 17th, 2014, 7:18 pm #1

I was looking at a YouTube video earlier today and noticed a product called Sugru that they were using for several different applications. www.Sugru.com
It appears that it would be an excellent option for someone that is modifying a rifle stock and that will be using a truck liner products to paint the stock. This is a material that you could add a custom form fitted pistol grip before applying the truck liner material. Just wondering if anyone has seen or used this material before.

Dammion Howard

"Kill Em With Air"

January 17th, 2014, 7:41 pm #2

This material looks as if it would be very useful in some situations. BUT, it stays flexible: http://sugru.com/about so probably is not good as part of a hand-grip.

Note this is a product in development. For example, it has a limited shelf life--up to 18 months if refrigerated--and they are working on improving that. This looks to me like something to keep an eye on as its development continues. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

January 18th, 2014, 12:02 am #3

I was looking at a YouTube video earlier today and noticed a product called Sugru that they were using for several different applications. www.Sugru.com
It appears that it would be an excellent option for someone that is modifying a rifle stock and that will be using a truck liner products to paint the stock. This is a material that you could add a custom form fitted pistol grip before applying the truck liner material. Just wondering if anyone has seen or used this material before.

Dammion Howard

"Kill Em With Air"
Sugru has been popular for a while in parts of Europe and Great Britain. If I am not mistaken it is basically a silicone base product and I doubt that you would be able to get a finish to cover it for long, however is has been touted as a good grip enhancer due to the rubbery texture, its ability to be molded, and its ability to adhere to various surfaces, so it might work well as a grip panel insert or a whole custom cover for skinny grips.
Also I read of at least one bad allergic reaction, but that would be one of thousands of users.

This link shows a few examples of uses for Sugru

http://www.instructables.com/tag/type-i ... ne&q=sugru

James S

January 18th, 2014, 12:08 am #4

Dammion Howard

"Kill Em With Air"
After seeing that video I thought I would have all sorts of uses for it. However, by the time something occurred to me, the stuff reached it's "use by" date and was truly unusable.

January 18th, 2014, 2:30 am #5

...and used it mold a new flexible connector/strain relief on an old HP calculator charger cord. I also used it to replace the stick-on rubber feet that fell off my battery maintainer. The Sugru stuck to the painted sheet metal and won't come off easily.

I imagine you could make a non-skid grip with it like on a cordless drill, or rubber bumpers for something you didn't want rattling around. Think of it as a fairly high durometer rubber material.

By the way, the expiration date is for the unused unopened packages. I have not seen any deterioration in the material I used over the past couple of years.

Roger