Stock confusion on Beeman R8

Stock confusion on Beeman R8

April 29th, 2012, 12:49 pm #1

Hi,

I am getting an old Beeman R8 from the Malvern show, via my brother. It has a plain stock, no cheek rest. Looks like a long forearm, R7 stock.

Was this an original offering on this gun or has somebody swapped stocks? It's definetly an HW stock with hand cut checkering.

Can't post a picture yet but I can email anybody one that wants one.

Thanks,

Bryan

Shoot Safe,

Bryan

April 29th, 2012, 1:08 pm #2

sounds just like the stock on my R8 . . . nt

April 29th, 2012, 1:34 pm #3

I would be happy to swap some pictures Bob, if you are interested. Email me please.

I wonder if the early ones were like this instead of the nicer, later stocks with the nice cheek rest.

Thank You,

Shoot Safe,

Bryan

April 29th, 2012, 1:44 pm #4

Hi,

I am getting an old Beeman R8 from the Malvern show, via my brother. It has a plain stock, no cheek rest. Looks like a long forearm, R7 stock.

Was this an original offering on this gun or has somebody swapped stocks? It's definetly an HW stock with hand cut checkering.

Can't post a picture yet but I can email anybody one that wants one.

Thanks,

Bryan

Shoot Safe,

Bryan
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

I bought my San Rafael R8 back in the early 80s, I think.

April 29th, 2012, 1:56 pm #5

I would be happy to swap some pictures Bob, if you are interested. Email me please.

I wonder if the early ones were like this instead of the nicer, later stocks with the nice cheek rest.

Thank You,

Shoot Safe,

Bryan

April 29th, 2012, 1:57 pm #6

Opps, I guess mine does have a cheek rest . . . nt

April 29th, 2012, 7:39 pm #7

That's a beauty. I always wanted an R8 like that. This one is more of a classic, straight stock. Guns got more character wear and will make a fine shooter. I'm just a little confused about the stock because so far, I have not found any information about them coming with a straight style stock without any cheek rest.

Shoot Safe,

Bryan
Last edited by BEnoch on April 29th, 2012, 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 29th, 2012, 7:51 pm #8

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

I bought my San Rafael R8 back in the early 80s, I think.
Yes, both of the guns shown are the typical styled stock. Mine is a straight butt, after the nice pistol grip. From pistol grip forward, my stock and both of the ones shown look the same but the one I got is straight in back, no cheek rest whatsoever.

I'm just trying to figure out if this is an original stock that was offered earlier or if it has been swapped at some point in it's life.

Thank you,

Shoot Safe,

Bryan

April 29th, 2012, 9:29 pm #9

<p>Bryan, If the stock on your R8 isn't the classic beeman monte carlo with pronounced cheek rest designed by gary goudy then it's been replaced.</p><p>Beeman introduced the R8 as a "NEW" model in the spring of 1983 (catalog 10A).  The HW50 appeared in catalog 9 but was no longer present in catalog 10A since it was replaced by the R8.  The new introduction, as pictured in beemans catalog 10A, has the goudy style monte carlo stock and to my knowledge was always present on the R8.  The R8's predecessor, the HW50, had many stock styles as you know and most (rekord era) are interchangable with the R8 action.  Be wonderful to see a picture of your stock that has the R8 sitting in it.</p>

April 29th, 2012, 11:37 pm #10

AFAIK, there was no "evolution" to the R8 stock--as Kevin said, it was what it was.

If your stock is identical outside of the cheekpiece, another possibility is that it has
been modified by someone with an antipathy to cheekpieces, LOL.