Stickey Scope

Stickey Scope

May 12th, 2012, 12:32 pm #1

I have a BSA 8-32 X 50mm AO scope. The scope functions great. It has a rubberized finish. The finish is sticky. I have tired to clean it with Pledge, WD-40, mild paint thinner, and soap & water. How can I clean / fix it. It looks and feels nasty.

Plano John

May 12th, 2012, 12:48 pm #2

I'm sorry that you have that problem. But I am also glad to hear about it. I have 3 BSA scopes with the same issue. I have always thought that Corrosion X or Deep Woods Off might have been the culprit. One of them has bare (anodized) scope tube mostly exposed. It has infuriated and confounded me. You can add Acetone, laquer thinner, Goo Gone, xylene, and toluene to the list of ineffectual solvents. I don't think they knew about it but it would mean a massive recall so I doubt they'll step up.
I haven't thrown them away although they'll never go on one of my guns again. What's more I'll never buy another BSA Optics product again.
Last edited by bankshot56 on May 12th, 2012, 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 12th, 2012, 1:30 pm #3

TRY THIS BUT OUTSIDE IN THE OPEN AIR! M E K Methyl Ethyl Keytone Paint Thinner ...
Last edited by markll on May 12th, 2012, 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 12th, 2012, 1:39 pm #4

My son used alcohol to strip it & it worked but I really liked the rubberized finished.
Last edited by crosman140 on May 12th, 2012, 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 12th, 2012, 2:22 pm #5

I forgot to mention MEK earlier. I think laquer thinner had the most effect but all it did was soften it enough to smear it everywhere. If I cared I'd disassemble the scope and use Carbon Tet but I have better (much better) scopes now.
I'd be willing to donate (for the cost of shipping) 2 of these to anyone interested in tackling this issue. Optically they are fine. Just repugnant to me.
Last edited by bankshot56 on May 12th, 2012, 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 12th, 2012, 3:39 pm #6

I have a BSA 8-32 X 50mm AO scope. The scope functions great. It has a rubberized finish. The finish is sticky. I have tired to clean it with Pledge, WD-40, mild paint thinner, and soap & water. How can I clean / fix it. It looks and feels nasty.

Plano John
Call BSA.. its a known defect. nt

May 12th, 2012, 4:14 pm #7

I forgot to mention MEK earlier. I think laquer thinner had the most effect but all it did was soften it enough to smear it everywhere. If I cared I'd disassemble the scope and use Carbon Tet but I have better (much better) scopes now.
I'd be willing to donate (for the cost of shipping) 2 of these to anyone interested in tackling this issue. Optically they are fine. Just repugnant to me.
If you are looking to unload them for cost of shipping I am interested. What are the specs?zoom? Reticle? Would you do paypal? Let me know. Thanks!

May 12th, 2012, 5:07 pm #8

I'm sorry that you have that problem. But I am also glad to hear about it. I have 3 BSA scopes with the same issue. I have always thought that Corrosion X or Deep Woods Off might have been the culprit. One of them has bare (anodized) scope tube mostly exposed. It has infuriated and confounded me. You can add Acetone, laquer thinner, Goo Gone, xylene, and toluene to the list of ineffectual solvents. I don't think they knew about it but it would mean a massive recall so I doubt they'll step up.
I haven't thrown them away although they'll never go on one of my guns again. What's more I'll never buy another BSA Optics product again.
Currently waiting on Dennis to email me an address. He can call BSA if he wants to. If he gets new scopes out of the deal I think that's great.

May 12th, 2012, 8:04 pm #9

Plano John
B

May 13th, 2012, 3:08 am #10

It would be real nice if bsa would fix the finish, and while they were at it fix the optics too!