Spring Guns and Scope Weight

Spring Guns and Scope Weight

May 14th, 2012, 3:13 pm #1

Just curious but what have you guys found to be the max scope weight that a given spring gun can tolerate?

Reason I ask it that a while back, I had a big Sightron 10-50x60 that I tried on a HW77 and it wouldn't shoot accurately with that scope on top. Pull it off and put the Bushnell 8-32 back on and it's a tack driver.

Sightron lists the weight at 29 ounces plus whatever the sidewheel weighed in at. It was a Jon Harris wheel, so I'm guessing maybe 6 ounces, perhaps 8?

But the Leupold Comps weigh in at just over 20 ounces sans sidewheel and seem to do okay with respect to balance. Many use these. Bushnell 4200 8-32x40 are 22 oz and no sidewheel needed and is used by many more.

I did not try the Sightron scope on any other piston rifle. I've heard some have used the large Nikko scopes with success and those were pretty heavy IIRC.

Could this just have been a situation with my particular rifle?

Could it be more of an issue with balance than weight?

Has anyone found HW rifles to be more sensitive with regard to weight and balance than TX guns? Vice versa?

Paul

Map to the FT Park> http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=115 ... AL%2036264

May 14th, 2012, 3:22 pm #2

Paul,

Do you think it might just be that the Sightron had issues with the recoil of a springer? I know that several successful spring gun shooters in the past have done really well with a Nikko on piston guns. Those are pretty heavy scopes too. Maybe the scope just has something inside that moves around under the recoil of that springer?

Harold
Harold Rushton

May 14th, 2012, 3:55 pm #3

Just curious but what have you guys found to be the max scope weight that a given spring gun can tolerate?

Reason I ask it that a while back, I had a big Sightron 10-50x60 that I tried on a HW77 and it wouldn't shoot accurately with that scope on top. Pull it off and put the Bushnell 8-32 back on and it's a tack driver.

Sightron lists the weight at 29 ounces plus whatever the sidewheel weighed in at. It was a Jon Harris wheel, so I'm guessing maybe 6 ounces, perhaps 8?

But the Leupold Comps weigh in at just over 20 ounces sans sidewheel and seem to do okay with respect to balance. Many use these. Bushnell 4200 8-32x40 are 22 oz and no sidewheel needed and is used by many more.

I did not try the Sightron scope on any other piston rifle. I've heard some have used the large Nikko scopes with success and those were pretty heavy IIRC.

Has anyone found HW rifles to be more sensitive with regard to weight and balance than TX guns? Vice versa?

Paul

with good results. The Hawke scope with mounts,lens covers, sidewheel, and level weighs 41.8 oz.

I am also using a Leapers 8-32X56,which is a heavy scope, on an HW 98 with no problems.

ART

May 14th, 2012, 4:23 pm #4

Paul

Johnathan Reyes won the 2010 Nats with a 10-50 Nikko on a TX 200 and the fellow who won the Springer Class at the Worlds in Italy had a pretty big scope on his Pro Sport.

I know Johnathan weighted his stock and the fellow at the worlds used weights on his gun also. Might be something I need to look into for the Falcon T50 on the Tx 200HC.

K

May 14th, 2012, 4:25 pm #5

Paul,

Do you think it might just be that the Sightron had issues with the recoil of a springer? I know that several successful spring gun shooters in the past have done really well with a Nikko on piston guns. Those are pretty heavy scopes too. Maybe the scope just has something inside that moves around under the recoil of that springer?

Harold
My conversations with the Sightron people led me to believe that they do not really guarantee the performance of their large scopes on springers.

I am currently using my Horusvision 4-16X50 that weighs around 28 oz. on the WFTF D54. With the ASLI and the mounts, you're looking at around 35 oz total.

If you can affix a good pistol laser to your rifle, test to see if after one, two and three shots, the scope and laser are still looking at the same spot.

HTH

Un Abrazo!

H�ctor

May 14th, 2012, 4:35 pm #6

Paul

"Could it be more of an issue with balance than weight?"

From my limited testing and experience over the last year, I believe that balance in very important in a piston gun. If you have a heavy scope, you need some firmly mounted weight below the receiver. If I can balance it so that the CG of the rifle is along the piston axis, my hold sensitivity is reduced greatly.

May 14th, 2012, 5:25 pm #7

My conversations with the Sightron people led me to believe that they do not really guarantee the performance of their large scopes on springers.

I am currently using my Horusvision 4-16X50 that weighs around 28 oz. on the WFTF D54. With the ASLI and the mounts, you're looking at around 35 oz total.

If you can affix a good pistol laser to your rifle, test to see if after one, two and three shots, the scope and laser are still looking at the same spot.

HTH

Un Abrazo!

H�ctor
The scope was very good and repeatable, before and after the installation on the HW. I put it on one of Rod's Dominator's and it was good to go.

May 14th, 2012, 5:29 pm #8

Johnathan Reyes won the 2010 Nats with a 10-50 Nikko on a TX 200 and the fellow who won the Springer Class at the Worlds in Italy had a pretty big scope on his Pro Sport.

I know Johnathan weighted his stock and the fellow at the worlds used weights on his gun also. Might be something I need to look into for the Falcon T50 on the Tx 200HC.

K
Was it right below the scope on the underside of the stock? Hollowed out the stock and glued in weights?

May 14th, 2012, 5:40 pm #9

"Could it be more of an issue with balance than weight?"

From my limited testing and experience over the last year, I believe that balance in very important in a piston gun. If you have a heavy scope, you need some firmly mounted weight below the receiver. If I can balance it so that the CG of the rifle is along the piston axis, my hold sensitivity is reduced greatly.
Internal or external weight?

May 14th, 2012, 5:54 pm #10

Paul

Paul, I'm sure others have methods of adding weight but here's what I've done with my spring guns. I have added lead weight to the butt as well as into the bottom of the stock on one of my custom stocks and have incorporated weight into the riser on my TX200 SR.

Jeff P