Something To Think About

September 11th, 2017, 11:18 am #1

Wow, was this an eye opener for me. I have probably 25 ( 500 ) tins each of JSB 7.33 and JSB 7.87 pellets that I use in my FWB 300s. The JSB 7.87 shoot the best in three 300s and the JSB 7.33 in the other two. All five shoot both pellets great so I buy them in bulk.

However, after shooting some JSB 7.33 from my last order ( 10 tins ) I was all over the target at 25 yards. I can shoot dime size groups and better at 25 yards consistently and now quarter size with a lot of flyers. At first I thought it was the gun but after trying them in all of my 300s I realized it was the pellets.

Upon inspection the pellets look fine with an occasional bent skirt that you'll find in ALL tins but nothing noticeable that woulds cause the terrible accuracy.

So, I started to open every tin and shoot 10 pellets from each tin. The results were discouraging, of the 10 tins 5 were sub standard, the other 5 were , well not to bad, not great but doable.

JSB no longer puts lot numbers on the tins so it's trial and error.

My point is, keep in mind I already know that the JSB 7.33 pellets shoot amazing in my 300s and do in most owners 300s.

Can you imagine if someone just purchased a 300 and was trying to decide what pellet shot best in his/her gun and just bought this lot of pellets. They would think the 7.33 wasn't the right pellet when in fact it might be.

I don't know what the answer is but does this give you something to think about when trying to determine what pellet to used in your new springer or any other airgun for that matter.

I'm fortunate to already know the two pellets that work in mine and glad I'm not just starting off with this lot.

I'll be contacting the company I bought them from and see what they have to say. Very reputable supplier.

September 11th, 2017, 11:56 am #2

However, your post is exactly why I don't rely upon a single pellet/weight for any of my air powered arms. Most of my guns shoot well with 3 or more pellets. Now granted, I am not shooting world class match rifles, but I keep my ranges short (30ish yds.) and only use the most accurate ammunition for critical applications. JSB and H&N both have served me very well over time in several calibers, with RWS and Crosman on hand as backup. I hope you find satisfactory customer service with your supplier.
Determination that is incorruptible.

September 11th, 2017, 12:29 pm #3

My guns shoot jsb and AirArms in 7.33 & 7.87 best . I have pretty much switched to AA pellets because when you have a good tin you can call and ask for that lot number .

September 11th, 2017, 3:12 pm #4

I didn't mention it in my post because it was the JSBs I was referring to, but like you, I also have GREAT results with the Falcon 7.33 pellets.In fact as I was having this problem I also shot the Falcons just to confirm it was the pellets that were bad and not the gun. The Falcons were laying them in under a dime at 25 yards.

I didn't know that about requesting certain lots if available with the AA pellets. Thanks so much for the "heads-up" Joe.

September 11th, 2017, 3:58 pm #5

Wow, was this an eye opener for me. I have probably 25 ( 500 ) tins each of JSB 7.33 and JSB 7.87 pellets that I use in my FWB 300s. The JSB 7.87 shoot the best in three 300s and the JSB 7.33 in the other two. All five shoot both pellets great so I buy them in bulk.

However, after shooting some JSB 7.33 from my last order ( 10 tins ) I was all over the target at 25 yards. I can shoot dime size groups and better at 25 yards consistently and now quarter size with a lot of flyers. At first I thought it was the gun but after trying them in all of my 300s I realized it was the pellets.

Upon inspection the pellets look fine with an occasional bent skirt that you'll find in ALL tins but nothing noticeable that woulds cause the terrible accuracy.

So, I started to open every tin and shoot 10 pellets from each tin. The results were discouraging, of the 10 tins 5 were sub standard, the other 5 were , well not to bad, not great but doable.

My point is, keep in mind I already know that the JSB 7.33 pellets shoot amazing in my 300s and do in most owners 300s.

Can you imagine if someone just purchased a 300 and was trying to decide what pellet shot best in his/her gun and just bought this lot of pellets. They would think the 7.33 wasn't the right pellet when in fact it might be.

I don't know what the answer is but does this give you something to think about when trying to determine what pellet to used in your new springer or any other airgun for that matter.

I'm fortunate to already know the two pellets that work in mine and glad I'm not just starting off with this lot.

I'll be contacting the company I bought them from and see what they have to say. Very reputable supplier.
it is NOT JSB removing the die/lot number tags
it is Pyramyd
they sell so many pellets they do not want to be bothered by shooters who find and want a die number so they requested the die number sticker be eliminated from the tins
JSB still puts the sticker with die & lot number on the boxes and cases the pellets come in
BUT Pyramyd will not let you have the pellet boxes or case boxes
most of the other pellet suppliers who buy from JSB will have the tags on the tins or they will let you have the boxes with the tag so you can identify by die/lot number the good or bad pellets

September 11th, 2017, 4:06 pm #6

I think the problem is two fold. First, dies wear out. Second, pellets are delicate and subject to shipping damage.

David Enoch

September 11th, 2017, 4:34 pm #7

Yep. Especially .177's. The skirts are REALLY thin and easily distorted/bent.

September 11th, 2017, 5:12 pm #8

+1 Bille on thin skirts in .177 cal. 8.4 better skirt as 18.1 thicker then 15.9.

September 11th, 2017, 5:24 pm #9

That usually matters IME. I think they always used to have the head size printed on the tins, and once I found the head size that shot the best, shooting more pellets with that same head size has always been a fruitful endeavor to me.

September 11th, 2017, 5:32 pm #10

it is NOT JSB removing the die/lot number tags
it is Pyramyd
they sell so many pellets they do not want to be bothered by shooters who find and want a die number so they requested the die number sticker be eliminated from the tins
JSB still puts the sticker with die & lot number on the boxes and cases the pellets come in
BUT Pyramyd will not let you have the pellet boxes or case boxes
most of the other pellet suppliers who buy from JSB will have the tags on the tins or they will let you have the boxes with the tag so you can identify by die/lot number the good or bad pellets
It's got nothing to do with Pyramyd. It was a switch made by the US importer some years ago now. Sometimes the lot sticker is underneath the barcode sticker and sometimes it is not. I've seen both recently.
The boxes (or cases if you order that many) are often omitted from packing because of the way Pyramyd packs pellets.
As said above, Air Arms pellets still have the lot/die information on the backs of the tins ALWAYS.