Some of you may not know this, but...

Some of you may not know this, but...

April 13th, 2012, 5:09 pm #1

...TITANIC was not the first giant luxury liner that White Star built, but was an exact carbon copy of the OLYMPIC, which was built and launched 10 months before Titanic.

Titanic was built at Harlan & Wolfe shipyards in Belfast Ireland, from the same set of blueprints that built the earlier Olympic.

The dimensions, tonnage, horsepower, speed and all other engineering advances of the day were incorporated into the Titanic, because of the success of the Olympic.

Olympic was never touted as "unsinkable", and had a commendable 24-year service history, serving as a troopship in WW1, and later back into transatlantic passeger service until she was broken up for scrap in 1935, about the same time that Cunard's much more advanced, larger, and faster "Queen Mary" was being completed in Scotland.

Olympic had a mishap by colliding with the British warship "Hawke" shortly after entering service in 1911, and sliced an American lightship in half during heavy fog off the US east coast in 1934.

My mother came to America aboard the Olympic in 1923 as an 11-year-old girl with her father, as immigrants from Eastern Europe.

That's all...

Hal

April 13th, 2012, 5:50 pm #2

I picked up the book futility on my kindle the other night after you recommended it.

I was reading it and couldn't help but think of the Titanic. I wonder what it would be like to read the book without any knowledge of the Titanic.

Sasq

April 13th, 2012, 5:55 pm #3

Howl

April 14th, 2012, 1:01 am #4

...TITANIC was not the first giant luxury liner that White Star built, but was an exact carbon copy of the OLYMPIC, which was built and launched 10 months before Titanic.

Titanic was built at Harlan & Wolfe shipyards in Belfast Ireland, from the same set of blueprints that built the earlier Olympic.

The dimensions, tonnage, horsepower, speed and all other engineering advances of the day were incorporated into the Titanic, because of the success of the Olympic.

Olympic was never touted as "unsinkable", and had a commendable 24-year service history, serving as a troopship in WW1, and later back into transatlantic passeger service until she was broken up for scrap in 1935, about the same time that Cunard's much more advanced, larger, and faster "Queen Mary" was being completed in Scotland.

Olympic had a mishap by colliding with the British warship "Hawke" shortly after entering service in 1911, and sliced an American lightship in half during heavy fog off the US east coast in 1934.

My mother came to America aboard the Olympic in 1923 as an 11-year-old girl with her father, as immigrants from Eastern Europe.

That's all...

Hal

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... aster.html

April 14th, 2012, 1:05 am #5

That's all...

Hal

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... ships.html

April 15th, 2012, 4:01 am #6

Howl
I have to admit I am glad it was free for the kindle. It was eerie how similar the events were in the book and real life. It is difficult to read the book without thinking of the Titanic. I can't imagine how this is not related to real life and written prior to the Titanic.

Get it from the library if you can. If you can stand reading on a computer, download the kindle ebook and read it on your computer if you don't have a kindle. I don't think; would put out the cash for it myself.

Sasq.