Piston .. 12%
Int Piston 9%
Offhand .. 5%

Pistol OS /Reddot 13%
Pistol Scope 6%

Over 50% of competitors were 50 or older

Guestimate avg cost for PCP setup (Rifle & Scope) $3000

Guestimate avg cost for Springer setup ...........$1500

Compare these costs to other hobbies and it really isn't that bad. Of course I can't get my wife to understand that who is kniting in the rocking chair ;>)
Last edited by dayjd on October 19th, 2010, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 19th, 2010, 1:13 pm #2

Hunter class shooters
12 PCP
5 piston

LOL....I'm glad that the classes AREN'T split up like I've been extollin' all these years because a 5 shooter Nats field would have been a real bummer! Seems that all my complainin' has been misdirected considering the current demographics and I feel that I owe an apology to all on this forum who endured my diatribes! I'm bettin' that the buggy whip makers were complainin' about all those newfangled horseless carriages too.

Hummmmm............IF there was a hunter class field of 12 PCP and 12 piston shooters......LOL

October 19th, 2010, 1:25 pm #3

is directly related to the fact that they have to compete against pcp. so maybe these numbers support you. If there were a separate piston hunter class you may have had more piston shooters.

October 19th, 2010, 3:45 pm #4

October 19th, 2010, 4:25 pm #5

than a split class where I'd be competing with only 5 other shooters!

Perhaps a "trial balloon" could be sent up to see how many EXTRA shooters would attend if separate classes are offered. If such a move would only bleed other classes (like perhaps the piston class) I don't see how that would be helpful to FT as a whole. Seems to me that having separate precharge and piston classes hasn't stopped the hemmoraging of the piston class....well, at the local level anyway.

I'm rethinking a lot of my noisy previous positions and perhaps some of my ideas were simply "non issues" concerding current demographics. For example.....I always made a lot of noise about the great advantage a heavy 20fpe pellet had over a 14fpe light pellet in the "holdover only" hunter class. While I know there ARE 20fpe advantages, those pesky International class shooters have been pokin' holes in my "20fpe advantage" theories for a couple years now!

October 19th, 2010, 4:36 pm #6

Local Conditions dictate how the game can/should be played. I can fully understand your perspective.

Out here, it looks like the consensus is that its better to separate the springer and pcp rigs amongst other things. Under nice weather conditions, we've seen more folks show up with their springers for Hunter Class since making the change this year.

Its pretty amazing how well some shooters can shoot with their sub 12fpe rigs isn't it?!?! As you know, we've got a couple of those sub 12fpe shooters at my club that can do pretty good, even in the wind, with their springers and puffer guns!!!

Take it easy and good shooting man!

Regards,

Tony

October 19th, 2010, 6:13 pm #7

springer guys in any event. maybe its just kind of a chicken and the egg problem. you can't attract the shooters if you don't have the class there. that may mean small numbers in the hunter/piston class for a while till it attracts some folks into shooting ft. in our venue right now it probalby would dilute piston class though.

as for 12 fpe in my first attempt at it i matched my previous best score but conditions were pretty mild that day. this sunday may be a better test. sure is sweet to shoot though. in my indoor practice i am definately more accurate at 12 than i was at

lhd

October 19th, 2010, 7:27 pm #8

than a split class where I'd be competing with only 5 other shooters!

Perhaps a "trial balloon" could be sent up to see how many EXTRA shooters would attend if separate classes are offered. If such a move would only bleed other classes (like perhaps the piston class) I don't see how that would be helpful to FT as a whole. Seems to me that having separate precharge and piston classes hasn't stopped the hemmoraging of the piston class....well, at the local level anyway.

I'm rethinking a lot of my noisy previous positions and perhaps some of my ideas were simply "non issues" concerding current demographics. For example.....I always made a lot of noise about the great advantage a heavy 20fpe pellet had over a 14fpe light pellet in the "holdover only" hunter class. While I know there ARE 20fpe advantages, those pesky International class shooters have been pokin' holes in my "20fpe advantage" theories for a couple years now!
"How many MORE shooters would attend if classes were changed"?

Right now I see a move to benefit the "Cherrypickers" looking for wood. These guys have the ability to shoot in any of several classes, and pick the one they are more likely to win something in, based on a review of the competitors in that class, which doesn't increase enrollment!

I'm all for any change that will for sure increase entries, but not so much for increased Cherrypicking. Next we will have the "Offhand sub-6fpe Senior's class", or "guys that like to use a pumper pistol in the rifle class"?

October 19th, 2010, 7:50 pm #9

........shootin' in a Pink Mumu class.

You'd look good!

He He

Knobs

October 19th, 2010, 9:24 pm #10

"How many MORE shooters would attend if classes were changed"?

Right now I see a move to benefit the "Cherrypickers" looking for wood. These guys have the ability to shoot in any of several classes, and pick the one they are more likely to win something in, based on a review of the competitors in that class, which doesn't increase enrollment!

I'm all for any change that will for sure increase entries, but not so much for increased Cherrypicking. Next we will have the "Offhand sub-6fpe Senior's class", or "guys that like to use a pumper pistol in the rifle class"?
I think we need to come up with an "Entry" class.

Shooting with Andy Stephens in the Nationals was an Eye-opener.

At least my PERCEPTION of the whole thing goes slightly along these lines:

Andy is there to have fun. His son has a different view: If he goes for something he goes to win. But they BOTH need to be accomodated.
They BOTH shoot reasonably priced rigs (GAMO Silver Shadows), though they do have other rifles in their batteries. And they shoot well. Andy's son (JC, I think?) pulled off some really good shots (outside of the competition, once the whole hullaballoo was done and over with), OFFHAND.
And the Match Course was tough. Not only the wind, but the distances and the KZ's were challenging. DIFTA's traditional course was, statistically speaking at least, slightly easier than the "new" course. Tim MacMurray commented on this and I agree with him. But BOTH courses were tough. The newbies in the match went away with one or two baker's dozens hits.

I also decry the "cherrypickers", as humans, though, the temptation is high (I could have shot Hunter, as I was using a 12X scope), but that was not the intent.

Perhaps something like a "Tyro" class, limited to truly entry level equipment (MSRP price and/or weight limited) and entry level target difficulties could be a good addition to the sport.

Maybe, after one or two years of shooting in the Tyro class, shooters would have to move to other classes, maybe not; but I think it would be a worthwhile addition.

On the organizational side, if Pistol matches are run concurrently with the Rifle matches, the Tyro shooters can shoot the Pistol targets as part of their match and forego the long rifle targets, or pehaps shoot them for extra points.

Dunno all the details, but I do have to express my agreement to the initiative of defining an "entry level" class.

JMHO

Un Abrazo!

H�ctor