Some detail pics for those interested...

Some detail pics for those interested...

May 11th, 2012, 4:34 pm #1

I've been so busy working on my QB build that I've taken very few pics, despite some requests to the contrary . So here's my attempt to rectify that situation.

The assembled valve:
[/IMG]

And the exploded view:
[/IMG]

This is my interpretation of the pedestal valve. Opened up the sides for better flow, removed the piercing needle and associated parts, and made a custom valve stem/head. Replaced the stock spring with a lighter, longer spring that I happened to have on hand. What you can't see is the work on the valve head, the seating ridge for the stock valve has been removed, and the seat itself machined to a conical profile to match the valve head. And opened up the transfer port, of course.

I also made a new hammer, here's the stock hammer vs mine:
[/IMG]

This is still a work in progress, but it increases the hammer stroke over stock by about .020". It was MUCH heavier than stock when I first turned it, too heavy, so I put it on a diet and brought it down to the same as stock, 56 grams. This was still too heavy, I was getting some hammer bounce, so I milled some slots and drilled some holes, it currently weighs 45 grams, and no more bounce, but I lost about 40 fps with Kodiaks, so it's "only" doing 27 fpe right now . That said, I'm still running a stock valve spring with stock preload, so my next step will be increasing the preload. I'm still not sure if I like the brass hammer, it doesn't cock as smoothly as I'd like. I suspect that once I get the profile and weight sorted out with this one, I'll turn a new one out of steel. I'm also running it as cock on open, but the bolt throw is really short, makes loading a PITA. I'm seriously considering milling a slot in the side of the tube and installing a separate cocking bolt.

Needless to say, a 30 fpe rifle barks pretty good, so I threaded and recrowned the barrel:
[/IMG]

Came out pretty good, and I already know it didn't hurt the accuracy in the least. I've already posted a little about this, but this thing is incredibly accurate, and it seems to shoot everything well. I've owned some pretty high end rifles over the years, none of them have shot any better than this one does, and more than a few haven't shot as well. These things really are an amazing bargain!

And finally, the complete package with "bark tamer" installed:
[/IMG]

No mice farting, but it makes a huge difference. Without the LDC installed, this thing will make your ears ring if shot in a confined space. Installed, that bark is reduced to a modest SNAP!, not at all objectionable. And in the open, about all you hear is the hammer noise and the pellet striking the target. Anyway, thanks for looking, later.

Dave

May 11th, 2012, 4:39 pm #2

... keep up the good work and post more pictures !

May 11th, 2012, 8:11 pm #3

I like it nice work i almost sold my QB 78 but after reading all the helpful info between you and Robert i dont think i will be letting it go gotta start a few mods to it lol

May 12th, 2012, 1:22 pm #4

I've been so busy working on my QB build that I've taken very few pics, despite some requests to the contrary . So here's my attempt to rectify that situation.

The assembled valve:
[/IMG]

And the exploded view:
[/IMG]

This is my interpretation of the pedestal valve. Opened up the sides for better flow, removed the piercing needle and associated parts, and made a custom valve stem/head. Replaced the stock spring with a lighter, longer spring that I happened to have on hand. What you can't see is the work on the valve head, the seating ridge for the stock valve has been removed, and the seat itself machined to a conical profile to match the valve head. And opened up the transfer port, of course.

[/IMG]

This is still a work in progress, but it increases the hammer stroke over stock by about .020". It was MUCH heavier than stock when I first turned it, too heavy, so I put it on a diet and brought it down to the same as stock, 56 grams. This was still too heavy, I was getting some hammer bounce, so I milled some slots and drilled some holes, it currently weighs 45 grams, and no more bounce, but I lost about 40 fps with Kodiaks, so it's "only" doing 27 fpe right now . That said, I'm still running a stock valve spring with stock preload, so my next step will be increasing the preload. I'm still not sure if I like the brass hammer, it doesn't cock as smoothly as I'd like. I suspect that once I get the profile and weight sorted out with this one, I'll turn a new one out of steel. I'm also running it as cock on open, but the bolt throw is really short, makes loading a PITA. I'm seriously considering milling a slot in the side of the tube and installing a separate cocking bolt.

Needless to say, a 30 fpe rifle barks pretty good, so I threaded and recrowned the barrel:
[/IMG]

Came out pretty good, and I already know it didn't hurt the accuracy in the least. I've already posted a little about this, but this thing is incredibly accurate, and it seems to shoot everything well. I've owned some pretty high end rifles over the years, none of them have shot any better than this one does, and more than a few haven't shot as well. These things really are an amazing bargain!

[/IMG]

No mice farting, but it makes a huge difference. Without the LDC installed, this thing will make your ears ring if shot in a confined space. Installed, that bark is reduced to a modest SNAP!, not at all objectionable. And in the open, about all you hear is the hammer noise and the pellet striking the target. Anyway, thanks for looking, later.

Dave
Dave,

Thanks for posting. It looks like you're doing a great job and having fun too!

How many shots per fill do you obtain with this rig? And what's shot consistency like over multiple shots? (Apologies in advance if I missed this before).

Stephen Archer
Archer Airguns Inc.
Online stores http://www.archerairguns.com
http://www.archerpelletguns.com
Videos http://www.youtube.com/ArcherAirguns
Blog http://www.archerairguns.info

May 12th, 2012, 9:42 pm #5

The assembled valve:
[/IMG]

And the exploded view:
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Dave
Beautiful job! nt

May 12th, 2012, 11:27 pm #6

The assembled valve:
[/IMG]

And the exploded view:
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Dave
Nice job, gotta love tweeking these QB's. Like you Im currently working on a QB PCP project but in 25cal.. I bought the tube assembly from jack but decided I didnt like the valve in it and tossed it and made another as well as tons of other machine work I have done so far. A made a few changes to Jacks tube and one of them was mill the slot to cock the hammer you mentioned in the tube. I like it much much better!!! You might have to lighten the hammer a little more when you add the extra weight of the cocking handle. One way I delt with added weight of the hammer handle was add a stronger valve spring in the valve and a slightly heavier spring for the hammer as well. I do have a power adjuster on mine to help tweek it in just in case....ok I will stop rambling on and just say I like the new way to cock the QB and I think you will too!

May 13th, 2012, 3:04 pm #7

Jason, would you consider showing us how you milled that slot (length x width x placement etc) in the tube? I am at that juncture right now an am a bit perplexed on how to proceed.
Thanks
Ray

As it written, let it be done, you bring the pellets I'll bring the gun

May 13th, 2012, 4:33 pm #8

The assembled valve:
[/IMG]

And the exploded view:
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Dave
Stephen, I haven't checked it for shot count yet, my initial goal is power, I'll worry about shot count later . That said, I'm guessing I'm getting 30-40 shots before it goes off reg. I'm running a 1200 psi regulated 13 c.i. bottle, so consistency is very good, especially with heavier pellets. AA Heavies and Kodiaks are in the single digits for extreme spread.

Kind of an interesting side note. I had the chance to stretch its legs yesterday, and try a few shots at 100 yards. No, it wasn't doing one hole groups , but considering the conditions, the performance was very respectable. Call it a 6" horizontal by sub-1" vertical group, due to generally breezy conditions with gusts to make it more interesting. The shooter might have had something to do with it, too, I seldom shoot beyond 40 yards with an air gun, and have shot at 100 yards only once before, and that was with a .50 Dragon Slayer . I was NOT using the right pellet, all I had with me was 14.3 JSB Exacts, a good pellet, but too light for this rifle and those conditions. I can't wait to try it again with heavier pellets and less wind.

Ya know, I've read all manner of trash talk about Chinese barrels, but I've got to say, so far, I haven't seen it. I had one of the Diana 34's with the "Chinese" barrel, it shot great. I have a Ruger Airhawk (if I ever get it back from my niece!), also very accurate. This QB build has had 2 different barrels on it, a .177 and the .22 it currently wears, both are extremely accurate. I know I keep harping on this, and I suppose I've just been lucky, but the bottom line for me is that I've yet to have a Chinese gun with a bad barrel. And I've had others besides what I just mentioned here, if they're really as bad as some say, I should have gotten one by now.

Another thing worth noting, the scope I'm using is one of the Wally World 4-16x40 CP's. I've had this one for awhile, and it's been on a variety of rifles, both PCP and springer. I had the QB sighted in at 30 yards with AA Heavies, my first few shots at 100 yards were hitting what I estimated as 16" low. 4 clicks to the inch times 16 inches is 64 clicks, so that's what I did, and BINGO! right on the money. The first two shots after the adjustment were almost touching, and 1" left of the center of my aim point. I sure hope the "new and improved" version is as good as the older ones, these were the same kind of bargain in optics that the QB is in air rifles. Later.

Dave

May 14th, 2012, 12:20 am #9

Jason, would you consider showing us how you milled that slot (length x width x placement etc) in the tube? I am at that juncture right now an am a bit perplexed on how to proceed.
Thanks
Ray

As it written, let it be done, you bring the pellets I'll bring the gun
And take away from the original post or show him any disrespect. Shoot me an E-mail.

May 14th, 2012, 2:43 am #10

I'd like to see it myself, if you don't mind! I have a pretty good idea of how to go about it, but I'm always interested in seeing how other folks do stuff. Interested, hell, what am I saying, I couldn't have gotten where I'm at without it ! Later.

Dave