So when your holding inside the killzone how much movement do you have??

So when your holding inside the killzone how much movement do you have??

September 17th, 2011, 12:37 pm #1

I have been trying to eliminate this movement since last year and have found so far that I can only reduce it to a minimum.

I can command the 3/8" kz to fall @ 34 yards for the most part now. Last night I went up to 1/2" @ 47 yards and picked up on it quicker than the 3/8" @ 34 yards. So I am thinking its time to get up to 50 yards.

I would like to thank Harold for sharing insight into a champion's shooting routine. Thanks again Harold. I look forward to seeing and talking with you again @ the Nationals.

Dutch

Self proclaimed shootinist sumbitch...there ever was almost!!
Its hard bein shootinst sum bitch...welp not its not.
started @ 228 compressor fills in 6/22/08
188 compressor fills and I have broke even
And aaain't it grrreaaat to be livinnn in the USA.
I never whacked a pigeon, starling, or sparrow that didn't deserve it!!!
1523 and countin....on pigeons..
starling count started 11--

September 17th, 2011, 1:39 pm #2

most of my movement comes from slight pulse bounce. It is very small though. I do find that wind moves me around. I also find that neutral balance front to back of the gun on my knee keeps movement down.

1/2" KZ at 47 yds is impressive shooting. i am sure i could not do it constistantly with my springer. I did shoot a 5 shot 55 yard group the other day that measured .448 off the knee but that is rare. mostly i am happy if i can keep them in a 1 1/2" circle at that distance outdoors with any kind of breeze.

when you talk about holding inside a 1/2" kill zone at 47 yards are you shooting or just trying to hold a sight picture? Seems like a good exersize and perhaps it would be good to pull through on your trigger in kind of a dry fire routine. I sometimes do that with my springer prior to a real shot by "dry firing" with the safety on to see if my trigger pull induces any movemenent.

September 17th, 2011, 4:23 pm #3

I have been trying to eliminate this movement since last year and have found so far that I can only reduce it to a minimum.

I can command the 3/8" kz to fall @ 34 yards for the most part now. Last night I went up to 1/2" @ 47 yards and picked up on it quicker than the 3/8" @ 34 yards. So I am thinking its time to get up to 50 yards.

I would like to thank Harold for sharing insight into a champion's shooting routine. Thanks again Harold. I look forward to seeing and talking with you again @ the Nationals.

Dutch

It is what it is, because it is!!!

September 17th, 2011, 6:24 pm #4

most of my movement comes from slight pulse bounce. It is very small though. I do find that wind moves me around. I also find that neutral balance front to back of the gun on my knee keeps movement down.

1/2" KZ at 47 yds is impressive shooting. i am sure i could not do it constistantly with my springer. I did shoot a 5 shot 55 yard group the other day that measured .448 off the knee but that is rare. mostly i am happy if i can keep them in a 1 1/2" circle at that distance outdoors with any kind of breeze.

when you talk about holding inside a 1/2" kill zone at 47 yards are you shooting or just trying to hold a sight picture? Seems like a good exersize and perhaps it would be good to pull through on your trigger in kind of a dry fire routine. I sometimes do that with my springer prior to a real shot by "dry firing" with the safety on to see if my trigger pull induces any movemenent.
I am trying to hold to center of the killzone and pull off the shot. If the crosshairs move ever so slightly especially with the 3/8" killzone, its a miss. I am shooting a ZMRapidMKII in .177. And I am not hitting the target over and over either. I might hit it a coupla times and go thru a series of misses. I know that the cph that I have have looser fitting pellets and there are some definite peewees to say the least.

So what kindah springer are you shooting?

Dutch

September 17th, 2011, 6:50 pm #5

and now i am shooting a Pro Sport. I was out this morning for a bit. i was shooting steel plinker quads. I had the 1.25 kz at 50 yards and i had a 1" at
45 yds and 39 yards. I was hitting all of them about 80% and had a 3mph 45 degree headwind that came and went.

September 17th, 2011, 10:17 pm #6

Dutch

I pretty much shake all over the 1 1/2" KZ out at 55 yards. The trick is pulling the trigger at the right time. I have some real steady days and that's when I tend to pull off some real good groups. The steady days are fewer and farther between as I get older.

September 17th, 2011, 10:23 pm #7

Dutch

I hope some of the things that we discussed helps. Of course, none of that was anything that you didn't already know. Just practice with much more difficult targets than you expect to see during a match, and the matches will become easier. See you at the Nationals!

Harold
Harold Rushton

September 18th, 2011, 12:10 am #8

I pretty much shake all over the 1 1/2" KZ out at 55 yards. The trick is pulling the trigger at the right time. I have some real steady days and that's when I tend to pull off some real good groups. The steady days are fewer and farther between as I get older.
but have in the past, I am shaky as all get go for what seems like the whole day.

I drink Earl Grey Tea when I am at work and on sessions that occur after work, I notice just a tad more movement.

I think the key here is to be able to settle in each time you sit down and get as comfortable as you can get.

I use the straps, but can shoot tight with out them, but then not for the whole duration of a 60 yard match.

I guess I could if I was sporting a 6 pack up front, but I have more of a 12 pack so its kindah hard to get folded up in this position. I bet its even harder if you have an 18 pack...and damn near impossible if you have a case.

Dutch

September 18th, 2011, 1:00 am #9

It is what it is, because it is!!!
your waist. You really need to stop living off that fast food. Its gonna creep up and get you. If that happens, then the drama factor of this forum will take a turn for south.

Your head is so big when kids throw snowballs at you, they end up going around in orbit.

Dutch

-bp

September 18th, 2011, 1:37 am #10

I hope some of the things that we discussed helps. Of course, none of that was anything that you didn't already know. Just practice with much more difficult targets than you expect to see during a match, and the matches will become easier. See you at the Nationals!

Harold
T-40 or higher, except for a couple 1-1/2" targets at 50Y (which i just built and am trying out).

i'm shooting hunter style, and T-40 is getting easier. not easy, just easier.

-bp