So - what fuel really torched the Hindenburg? Burning H2 or burning envelope fabric?

So - what fuel really torched the Hindenburg? Burning H2 or burning envelope fabric?

April 16th, 2012, 3:29 pm #1

Steve

April 16th, 2012, 3:34 pm #2

...the 7,100,000 cubic feet of Hydrogen that supplied the fuel.

Hal

April 16th, 2012, 3:58 pm #3

The covering was the difficulty.

April 16th, 2012, 4:19 pm #4

Steve
<p>What set it off is the Mystery. Was it Static charge, Lighting, or maybe an electrical source from the Hindenburg itself. Go father and you get into the Conspericy theroies as usal!</p><p>Doug S.</p>

April 16th, 2012, 4:39 pm #5

The covering was the difficulty.
...of ignition, how can there be separate fires at nose and tail, with unburned skin in between? Shall we imagine multiple independent points of ignition?

Short version: I think that single iconic picture proves graphically and at a glance that the skin-burn hypothesis is nonsense.

Personally, and strictly FWIW, I think that silly theory (which has been debunked in detail on far more elaborate grounds like the physics of flame propagation by many others) was only concocted by hyrogen advocates. But motives and agendas notwithstanding, nonsense it is and nonsense it remains.

Steve
Last edited by pneuguy on April 16th, 2012, 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 16th, 2012, 4:39 pm #6

Steve
...that the fabric makeup was the cause, not the hydrogen alone. The fabric was made up of a flamable glue substance which bonded THERMITE to the fabric. The use of thermite lead to the demise of the zeplin.

EDIT: Of course, the hydrogen was, and is flamable. Once the skin began to burn, the hydrogen went further speeding the process.

"The majority of things in our lives are created by folks no smarter than the rest. Afterall, the world is comprised, and operated by C average people intellctually, academically, and morally. These people are often the great pioneers that set the precedent for what excellence should be."
Last edited by Duane30 on April 16th, 2012, 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 16th, 2012, 4:42 pm #7

Steve
Life , this one and one more . . . . .

April 16th, 2012, 5:03 pm #8

...of ignition, how can there be separate fires at nose and tail, with unburned skin in between? Shall we imagine multiple independent points of ignition?

Short version: I think that single iconic picture proves graphically and at a glance that the skin-burn hypothesis is nonsense.

Personally, and strictly FWIW, I think that silly theory (which has been debunked in detail on far more elaborate grounds like the physics of flame propagation by many others) was only concocted by hyrogen advocates. But motives and agendas notwithstanding, nonsense it is and nonsense it remains.

Steve
of St. Elmo's Fire doing the St. Vidus Dance.

Which exonerates the Jews from any percieved mischief. Since they do not have saints, only prophets.

April 16th, 2012, 5:45 pm #9

Steve
We might know that Hydrogen needs oxygen to "burn". The hydrogen holding inner bladders may have been pure enough in content to inhibit combustion, But certainly at any interface of hydrogen gas and the atmosphere, (the skin) flame could commence.

Chicken or egg?

A spark? A problem with engines?, some heating due to deformation of the structure? I think we shall not know.. A Titanic.

The world is filled of theory. Each individual holds their own reality.

April 16th, 2012, 6:02 pm #10