Since we on this Rule changing kick "again" How about we do some REAL PFT HISTORY?

Since we on this Rule changing kick "again" How about we do some REAL PFT HISTORY?

June 5th, 2011, 9:19 pm #1

Something that seems to be ignored in here as I see it now.

The equivalent of the FIRST ever US pistol FT Nationals was in July 1993. Entry info and results were published in the AAFTA newsletter.

The event was not an add on to an already scheduled rifle match.

There were Three (3) matches of 50 shots each that spanned a morning, afternoon and morning match. So with 1 day of practice under their belts the next morning a 50 shot match, then lunch along with another 50 shot match. Then the next day 50 shot match was slated for that morning. Following the event food was served then awards were issued to those that placed in the two day event.

This was held in Michigan and the same done in 94 and 95. So 3 consecutive years 95% the same format.
We do all this talk about PFT growing from a baby, but PFT seem to have a history that goes back almost 20 years. It's a shame that some people do not know this. Even more startling is the fact that some of us do and make no mention so that we all have an accurate perspective of where the PFT division has grown from.

Seems the biggest contrast as per my source is the comparative of how things have been run in PFT since 08/09. Back then the PFT Nationals were a stand alone event and not some hybrid/side shoot game.

Here is a listing of winners in prior year to the rebirth of the PFT game. Several folks thought they were pushing the envelope with bringing a game that didn't exist, but reality seems to say that this PFT thing we are doing is just covering ground that has already been plowed.

In 1993 those that place in the PFT Nationals were:

Jim Stanis (owner of Precision Air) 1st shooting a Morini 162E
Scott Huff 2nd with a Daisy 747!!!!!!!!
Anthony Storey 3rd shooting an AR6 pistol (He shot that same pistol at the 1993 Worlds and out shot 1/2 of the rifle shooters with it in the rifle event)

Anthony Storey 1st with his AR6 pistol
Jim Stanis 2nd with a Morini 162E
Richard Viard 3rd with a Morini

Jim Stanis won 1st place
Anthony Sorey took 2nd place
But I don't have info in the 3rd place finisher.

The highest number of competitors was about 26 and the lowest about 15. They shot from 10 to 25 yards with 20 ft pounds max energy, any scope, any position, as long as the gun and attachments didn't touch the ground/tree post etc.

California shot an event I think they called the PFT Nationals also way back in the mid 90's. It may not have been a stand alone event over several day event, but there is a possibility from what I'm told that it could have been.

Also, Nick Huff ran it in Michigan at the "Tarr Paper Shack", WWCCA in Michigan and also had some pistol events. Joe Taylor( deceased) ran pistol-based event/matches in Illinois at Hickory Hills Rod and Gun Club.

It is what it is, because it is!!!
Last edited by gregc107 on June 5th, 2011, 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 5th, 2011, 9:57 pm #2

Before being resurrected a decade or two later by Yegua at 2009 Nats. Was there just too little interest for it to gain traction? If so, were rules, or lack of rules, in any way to blame? If so, what should we learn from that in order to make PFT prosper NOW?

June 5th, 2011, 10:09 pm #3

enough to be the one to host the first PFT National match. Befire you guys did that there were several clubs already shooting PFT matches. So I don't know that is fair to say that your club brought it back from death.

As for what we learn? Well we should (AND I KEEP SAYIN THIS) of learned that roots are the key. We get hold of a new division then sure enough we make it a game that a new person becomes disinterested in. When we have a model that works stop trying to make it so hard that a NEW PERSON simply says "Well I dun wanna play!"

We are our own worse enemies if you will. If we ain't trying to influence popular decisions as it relates to a airgunning forums then we find ourselves trying to influence BOG voting patterns on issues related to AAFTA Divisions and policies.

Someone said it best a while back. "WE Dont need a new wheel!! So how about we let the ones we have take us down the road and see if they become flat, then we can try to fix one.

Last edited by gregc107 on June 5th, 2011, 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 5th, 2011, 10:22 pm #4

Something that seems to be ignored in here as I see it now.

The equivalent of the FIRST ever US pistol FT Nationals was in July 1993. Entry info and results were published in the AAFTA newsletter.

The event was not an add on to an already scheduled rifle match.

There were Three (3) matches of 50 shots each that spanned a morning, afternoon and morning match. So with 1 day of practice under their belts the next morning a 50 shot match, then lunch along with another 50 shot match. Then the next day 50 shot match was slated for that morning. Following the event food was served then awards were issued to those that placed in the two day event.

This was held in Michigan and the same done in 94 and 95. So 3 consecutive years 95% the same format.
We do all this talk about PFT growing from a baby, but PFT seem to have a history that goes back almost 20 years. It's a shame that some people do not know this. Even more startling is the fact that some of us do and make no mention so that we all have an accurate perspective of where the PFT division has grown from.

Seems the biggest contrast as per my source is the comparative of how things have been run in PFT since 08/09. Back then the PFT Nationals were a stand alone event and not some hybrid/side shoot game.

Here is a listing of winners in prior year to the rebirth of the PFT game. Several folks thought they were pushing the envelope with bringing a game that didn't exist, but reality seems to say that this PFT thing we are doing is just covering ground that has already been plowed.

In 1993 those that place in the PFT Nationals were:

Jim Stanis (owner of Precision Air) 1st shooting a Morini 162E
Scott Huff 2nd with a Daisy 747!!!!!!!!
Anthony Storey 3rd shooting an AR6 pistol (He shot that same pistol at the 1993 Worlds and out shot 1/2 of the rifle shooters with it in the rifle event)

Anthony Storey 1st with his AR6 pistol
Jim Stanis 2nd with a Morini 162E
Richard Viard 3rd with a Morini

Jim Stanis won 1st place
Anthony Sorey took 2nd place
But I don't have info in the 3rd place finisher.

The highest number of competitors was about 26 and the lowest about 15. They shot from 10 to 25 yards with 20 ft pounds max energy, any scope, any position, as long as the gun and attachments didn't touch the ground/tree post etc.

California shot an event I think they called the PFT Nationals also way back in the mid 90's. It may not have been a stand alone event over several day event, but there is a possibility from what I'm told that it could have been.

Also, Nick Huff ran it in Michigan at the "Tarr Paper Shack", WWCCA in Michigan and also had some pistol events. Joe Taylor( deceased) ran pistol-based event/matches in Illinois at Hickory Hills Rod and Gun Club.

pretty amazing...

Thanks for posting the chronological perspective...now the analysis of what happened since then...

Regards,

Tony

June 5th, 2011, 10:24 pm #5

Before being resurrected a decade or two later by Yegua at 2009 Nats. Was there just too little interest for it to gain traction? If so, were rules, or lack of rules, in any way to blame? If so, what should we learn from that in order to make PFT prosper NOW?
back then to get an idea of what was going on, what shooters thought, experienced, liked/disliked...

Regards,

Tony

June 5th, 2011, 10:26 pm #6

I can get us and response to read... I think that is an interesting question as to just why the PFT game stopped for a bit.

June 5th, 2011, 10:27 pm #7

pretty amazing...

Thanks for posting the chronological perspective...now the analysis of what happened since then...

Regards,

Tony

June 5th, 2011, 10:39 pm #8

I can get us and response to read... I think that is an interesting question as to just why the PFT game stopped for a bit.

June 5th, 2011, 10:43 pm #9

Yup, never heard any one tell me about how Unfair it was in the old days!!!

Regards,

Tony

June 5th, 2011, 10:57 pm #10

enough to be the one to host the first PFT National match. Befire you guys did that there were several clubs already shooting PFT matches. So I don't know that is fair to say that your club brought it back from death.

As for what we learn? Well we should (AND I KEEP SAYIN THIS) of learned that roots are the key. We get hold of a new division then sure enough we make it a game that a new person becomes disinterested in. When we have a model that works stop trying to make it so hard that a NEW PERSON simply says "Well I dun wanna play!"

We are our own worse enemies if you will. If we ain't trying to influence popular decisions as it relates to a airgunning forums then we find ourselves trying to influence BOG voting patterns on issues related to AAFTA Divisions and policies.

Someone said it best a while back. "WE Dont need a new wheel!! So how about we let the ones we have take us down the road and see if they become flat, then we can try to fix one.

Perhaps Yegua didn't resurrect PFT... but we brought it out of its coma and put it back on the map by including it in the national championship program. Wouldn't say we were "fortunate enough to include it"; we went to the trouble of making it happen because that's how much we enjoy PFT. Seems to have taken root from there. Regardless... "It's ALIIIIIVE!" Maybe not alive and well, but I'm working on that.