Silks purse from a sows ear Part 2

Silks purse from a sows ear Part 2

August 5th, 2012, 11:05 pm #1

I have gone about as far as I am willing to go as far as expenditures and tuning on this rifle, but it has been fun and rewarding..

I have had Dyotat put a 25 caliber LW unchoked AF Air Force barrel on it, which is held by three set screws,a Burris 2x7 Fulfield with Ballistic Plex reticle with a 100 yard parallax adjustment.

The stock has been made to look like a AIC Sniper stock from a broken and poorly repaired BAM 51 stock that I glued and screwed together. Atho this stock copies the AIC stock in form, it does not have an adjustable cheek piece or butt pad in function, but for me, I made it so I am staring right down the tube of that Burris 2x7 Flullfield with my 6 foot frame.

The trigger has been bent more into a conventional configuration and could use more tweaking, I am just not willing to take the risk. Trigger pull is superb.

I detuned it down to an average of 920FPS/47 FPE from a 2500 PSI fill. Informal shooting at 38 yards has given me .46 at that range, who knows what it would do with a propper bench rest and powerful scope.

It is a cheap, consistant, reliable and accurate hammer that looks good from a galloping horse.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

August 6th, 2012, 12:38 am #2

..how you were getting along with that .25 BAM. Has a solid look to it.

August 6th, 2012, 3:57 pm #3

I have gone about as far as I am willing to go as far as expenditures and tuning on this rifle, but it has been fun and rewarding..

I have had Dyotat put a 25 caliber LW unchoked AF Air Force barrel on it, which is held by three set screws,a Burris 2x7 Fulfield with Ballistic Plex reticle with a 100 yard parallax adjustment.

The stock has been made to look like a AIC Sniper stock from a broken and poorly repaired BAM 51 stock that I glued and screwed together. Atho this stock copies the AIC stock in form, it does not have an adjustable cheek piece or butt pad in function, but for me, I made it so I am staring right down the tube of that Burris 2x7 Flullfield with my 6 foot frame.

The trigger has been bent more into a conventional configuration and could use more tweaking, I am just not willing to take the risk. Trigger pull is superb.

I detuned it down to an average of 920FPS/47 FPE from a 2500 PSI fill. Informal shooting at 38 yards has given me .46 at that range, who knows what it would do with a propper bench rest and powerful scope.

It is a cheap, consistant, reliable and accurate hammer that looks good from a galloping horse.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
I shot with bags this time, I could see my heartbeat from too much coffee in the scope.

I shot two 5 shots groups,.28 and .30 at 38 yards.

The .30 group, the bottom hole was the POA.

[/IMG]
Last edited by unrepentantsinner on August 6th, 2012, 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 7th, 2012, 10:39 pm #4

It is earning its' keep.

I was loading the Explorer to go down to my 100/150 yard range and a crow started scolding me in a dead Madrone about 25 yards away, those genes will not be getting into the gene pool. 50 FPE does not loose much at 25 yards.

Then as I got to my 100 yard range 3 minutes later I see a small clump at the target line. A cottontail was munching in the grass. I gave the turrent on the Tactical Buhnell a full turn and took rest on the hood. A loud whop sounded just after breaking the trigger.