Sightron vs. Nikko Diamond - Any updates on which 10 - 50 is better?

Sightron vs. Nikko Diamond - Any updates on which 10 - 50 is better?

February 22nd, 2011, 8:14 am #1

Is the Sightron proving out to be the better scope and worth the extra coin? Or is more of status quo like with the Nikkos where it's luck of the draw...ya may get one that is great at ranging, one that will focus to 10yards, one with bright, clear glass, etc?

Regards,

Tony

February 22nd, 2011, 2:47 pm #2

On the Sightron:
1) PLUS - That's the scope the MikeV was using on Sunday. I don't mean to just credit the scope for that score, but I suppose it's safe to say that it didn't let him down.
2) MINUS - Won't come down to 10 yards at full-mag (luckily, a few folks here know how to fix that - fiddling with the lenses up-front).

BTW, I'm just making conversation here, as I have effectively "zero" hands-on experience comparing these scopes (did own an old-style Nikko, but never a Sightron).

HookEm

February 22nd, 2011, 3:27 pm #3

Is the Sightron proving out to be the better scope and worth the extra coin? Or is more of status quo like with the Nikkos where it's luck of the draw...ya may get one that is great at ranging, one that will focus to 10yards, one with bright, clear glass, etc?

Regards,

Tony
It all adds up to a positive situation. Adjusting the front lens so that the scope will focus down to 9+yds at any magnification is no different than sending a Leupold Competition back to Leupold to make that adjustment.....the difference here you can do it your self in under 10mins. I bought three and adjusted all to just under 10yds.

I have had three Big Nikkos; two of the older models and one green turret. I preferred the older ones. My opinion based on using both the Nikkos & the Sightrons: I prefer the Sightrons. No complaints here. Opinion subject to change if things do

Life is short...slow down and enjoy
http://www.activevacuums.com

February 22nd, 2011, 4:27 pm #4

On the Sightron:
1) PLUS - That's the scope the MikeV was using on Sunday. I don't mean to just credit the scope for that score, but I suppose it's safe to say that it didn't let him down.
2) MINUS - Won't come down to 10 yards at full-mag (luckily, a few folks here know how to fix that - fiddling with the lenses up-front).

BTW, I'm just making conversation here, as I have effectively "zero" hands-on experience comparing these scopes (did own an old-style Nikko, but never a Sightron).

HookEm
Thanks!

Regards,

Tony

February 22nd, 2011, 4:33 pm #5

It all adds up to a positive situation. Adjusting the front lens so that the scope will focus down to 9+yds at any magnification is no different than sending a Leupold Competition back to Leupold to make that adjustment.....the difference here you can do it your self in under 10mins. I bought three and adjusted all to just under 10yds.

I have had three Big Nikkos; two of the older models and one green turret. I preferred the older ones. My opinion based on using both the Nikkos & the Sightrons: I prefer the Sightrons. No complaints here. Opinion subject to change if things do

Ahh, so just loosen the front Objective Lens Lock Ring and Rotate Forward with the mag set to 50x while focusing on a 9 or 10 yd. target? How many mildots are on each reticle segment?

Are they spaced out like a Nikko's or wider, closer?

Regards,

Tony

February 22nd, 2011, 4:56 pm #6

the direction in which I rotated the objective lens. I know that I set the magnification at 50 power then I removed the lock ring and then rotated the objective lens until a target at ten yds was in sharp focus. I then continued past that until the target was a bit out of focus. I carefully replaced the lock ring ensuring that I did not rotate the objective lens. IIRC the entire process was done in under ten minutes for each scope.

It has four hugh mildots in each quadrant. Because of the size of the mildots they appear to be wider spaced than that of the Nikkos but I am not sure if thay are or not. Here is a link to their specs:http://www.sightron.com/index.php?actio ... d=6&id=164

February 22nd, 2011, 5:02 pm #7

Thanks!

Regards,

Tony

February 22nd, 2011, 5:04 pm #8

February 22nd, 2011, 5:07 pm #9

the direction in which I rotated the objective lens. I know that I set the magnification at 50 power then I removed the lock ring and then rotated the objective lens until a target at ten yds was in sharp focus. I then continued past that until the target was a bit out of focus. I carefully replaced the lock ring ensuring that I did not rotate the objective lens. IIRC the entire process was done in under ten minutes for each scope.

It has four hugh mildots in each quadrant. Because of the size of the mildots they appear to be wider spaced than that of the Nikkos but I am not sure if thay are or not. Here is a link to their specs:http://www.sightron.com/index.php?actio ... d=6&id=164

IIRC, on the side focus scopes and non a/o scopes I've re-parallaxed to 10yds, it usually involved turning/moving the Objective Lens forward, lengthening the focal length(not sure if that's the right term).

Anyhoo, good to hear it CAN be Done at home with no special spanner wrench/tool.

Thanks for the mildot info., I may have to try one of these!

Regards,

Tony

February 22nd, 2011, 7:27 pm #10