Should this valve serve as a template for the QB on any power source?

Should this valve serve as a template for the QB on any power source?

August 6th, 2010, 2:14 am #1

Last edited by CalG on August 6th, 2010, 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 6th, 2010, 5:10 am #2

but it was designed for 12 ft/lbs. If you push it much past 16 ft/lbs output, it loses it's efficiency. I understand there was a version intended for higher output, but I've never seen one.
That valve was part of a firing system that used a very light, flat sided striker, fairly low strength spring, with adjustable throw and preload adjustment...a very carefully balanced system.

From memory, I think you can't put much of a pocket in a QB valve body,the port is too close to the seat... you'd have to start from scratch.
Last edited by classicalgas on August 6th, 2010, 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 6th, 2010, 11:46 am #3

Bowkett took out a patent on his mole-in-the-hole version of a debouncer and I think incorporates it into most if not all his designs.

Steve
Last edited by pneuguy on August 6th, 2010, 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 6th, 2010, 2:43 pm #4

got a link?

dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab

the Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Southwest Montana's headquarters for Airgunning Supremecy

August 6th, 2010, 3:20 pm #5

Bowkett took out a patent on his mole-in-the-hole version of a debouncer and I think incorporates it into most if not all his designs.

Steve
it has that pocket valve... which(I think) has some anti bounce effect.

August 6th, 2010, 3:33 pm #6

Could be lubed and snugged up to provide a friction damper of sorts, though due to the small size, it may be ineffective against the striker spring force.

It is interesting that a mass suspended between two springs sees a spring rate that is the addition of the two opposed springs.

August 6th, 2010, 3:35 pm #7

but it was designed for 12 ft/lbs. If you push it much past 16 ft/lbs output, it loses it's efficiency. I understand there was a version intended for higher output, but I've never seen one.
That valve was part of a firing system that used a very light, flat sided striker, fairly low strength spring, with adjustable throw and preload adjustment...a very carefully balanced system.

From memory, I think you can't put much of a pocket in a QB valve body,the port is too close to the seat... you'd have to start from scratch.
Can you describe the "pocket" concept a bit more? nt

August 7th, 2010, 4:27 am #8

with the valve seat at the bottom of the hole. Almost every other valve I've seen sits on a ring, or a flat surface..no pocket. The few exceptions include a cone shaped metal head that seals against a resilient seat(QB-1) and thru the stem, inline designs like the Hamerli 850 magnum and the crosman 357 pistol.

I hesitate to guess the reason for the pocket, but it is an efficient valve with excellent self regulation, especially considering it is a 30+ year old design.
Last edited by classicalgas on August 7th, 2010, 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 7th, 2010, 11:46 am #9

The only thing I can see that makes it more efficient, is the o-ring packing gland. I think maybe a o-ring grouve could be machined into the front of a
qb valve, where it could be compressed by the retaining coller. That would stop any leakage from the stem when the valve is opened. How much air that would save is unknown.
Bill...

August 7th, 2010, 3:13 pm #10

got a link?

dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab

the Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Southwest Montana's headquarters for Airgunning Supremecy
...drops into a detent (the "hole") in the hammer as it goes by - (more or less) latching it.

Apparently, if you tweak the force of the spring behind the ball and the depth and diameter of the detent correctly, you can get a useful debouncing action.

I've never tried it.

Steve