Should there be a little moly where my sear contacts Disco hammer?

Should there be a little moly where my sear contacts Disco hammer?

May 18th, 2013, 9:22 pm #1

I am getting some occasional misfires where the hammer fires forward without touching the trigger. It usually happens moments after cocking it and it fires as I am returning the bolt forward. And then on rare occasions it fires from barely touching the trigger. I'm assuming the same condition is causing both..?

To address it I figured I must have the first stage set too far forward, but opening the trigger and watching things makes me think this isn't the case. I do have a wee bit of JM Moly Paste where the sear engages the hammer - could this be causing slipping because I have it so slick?

Last think I can think of is maybe I bent the the sear spring to reduce tension - maybe I did this too much? I can see how this would reduce the engagement.

May 29th, 2013, 8:02 pm #2

...on both my .22 and .177 disco, even polished all the contact surfaces in the trigger assembly and never had a problem with the sear engagement. i never touched the sear engagement spring though. if you did the set screw trigger mod check to see that your set screw isn't turned too far in... this can cause problems with sear engagement and sear drag on the hammer which i have experienced.

May 29th, 2013, 8:20 pm #3

I feel I get variable trigger pull weight based upon tightness of side cover screws. I have not fully determined this, just seems unusual so I left it a little looser this last time.

May 30th, 2013, 4:57 pm #4

..though it's possible. generally the disco trigger is very loose and wiggly side to side on the stock trigger even with fully tightened covers

May 30th, 2013, 8:46 pm #5

My Discovery trigger groups get spacers to tighten things up. But sure anything is possible.

Have you inspected the hammer catch groove? I had one that must have been too soft because the sear ate it up. It acted just like you describe.

Got it set nice and trigger pull was light and crisp. Then after a tin of pellets the trigger started releasing on its own. Discovered the hammer was badly damaged by the sear.

Purchased a new sear and Marauder trigger group and it works perfect now.
Last edited by Mach-1 on June 5th, 2013, 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.