should i settle with the gamos i have or???

should i settle with the gamos i have or???

June 6th, 2008, 11:25 pm #1

iv'e been shooting gamos for a while now and the only other quality rifle i have is the rws model34. now that's been a really great rifle but i t feels as if its just as good as the gamos i have or a little less since all the gamos i own are tuned except for the viper express. i own a shadow 1000, hunter 220, bigcat 1200, all are .177's, a viper express as mentioned, and a cfx in .22cal. they all are nice but from what i read on other forums, people there say that the gamos can't compare to beeman, wierhauch, bsa, rws, and webley. now am i missing out on a lot more performance or are they all pretty much the same as gamos but more glamourized? just wanted to know if i had invested too much into this particular brand. after reading the other forums, it makes me kind of want to go and get something like a super sport, r1, patriot, or a model54. i just don't want to be dissapointed if they turn out to be just like a plain ole'gamo since these guns mentioned are $400-$700. let me know some thoughts before i waste money. thanks

June 7th, 2008, 4:02 pm #2

Sell your two least favorite Gamo's and get an R11(Weihrauch R9 w/adjustable stock & heavy barrel steel sleeve). You can pick one up in excellent condition,tuned and shipped for about $550. Use the Boi to buy from a reputable seller.

That IS the mid-priced springer experience. There are more expensive than that but having shot quite a few it doesn't get much better than a properly tuned R11 IMO. Remember, you are paying 2-3 times as much so I'm not slamming my Gamos. I think that the CFX and 440/220(.22) are decent rifles for the price.

Last edited by bigbore on June 7th, 2008, 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 7th, 2008, 5:58 pm #3

iv'e been shooting gamos for a while now and the only other quality rifle i have is the rws model34. now that's been a really great rifle but i t feels as if its just as good as the gamos i have or a little less since all the gamos i own are tuned except for the viper express. i own a shadow 1000, hunter 220, bigcat 1200, all are .177's, a viper express as mentioned, and a cfx in .22cal. they all are nice but from what i read on other forums, people there say that the gamos can't compare to beeman, wierhauch, bsa, rws, and webley. now am i missing out on a lot more performance or are they all pretty much the same as gamos but more glamourized? just wanted to know if i had invested too much into this particular brand. after reading the other forums, it makes me kind of want to go and get something like a super sport, r1, patriot, or a model54. i just don't want to be dissapointed if they turn out to be just like a plain ole'gamo since these guns mentioned are $400-$700. let me know some thoughts before i waste money. thanks
In general you pay for what you get. I do have a Gamo and got one on price and availability at the time. I have spent on it thou with guide kit, trigger tune and a lothar walther barrel. This has turned it into a whole better gun. I am now happy with what I have.
Some of the makes you mentioned I would have gone for if they would have been available to me at the time especially the german ones.
Gamo are a middle of the road gun and that is what you get for your money in that bracket. Spend more and you will see better build quality and probably a longer working life.

June 9th, 2008, 4:14 pm #4

I have a Gamo S1k on a hunter stock. I have taken it apart a second time, because the spring is going. I have bought another spring, and am getting ready to re-lube tune and add the new spring and seal. I have gone thru it once, only spending money on the lubes--I de-burred and polished the internals, and did about a 3 hr polish job on all the stock trigger internals.
-What is my point? If you are satisfied with spending the little money (<30 bucks) and have some mechanical ability, you can have a gun that shoots execellent. Mine was shooting groups that bull & all shots touch at 30 yards, and this is open sighted. You will have to maintain this one more. I have had my s1k apart twice now, and my RWS(Russ Best tuned) apart none.

They are great truck guns. I enjoy shooting mine, and it groups as well as any of my other spring rifles. Has good power, too. they are just a little more hands on, if you ask me. They will need some modification, but are well worth the time. If I were to go over 200$, I would go up higher though, and get something that would not be so high-maintenance.

I still get can-size accuracy at 60 yards, open sighted, and the CPH's will blow thru both sides.

June 11th, 2008, 10:32 am #5

I'VE GOT 2 OF RICH'S SUPER TUNE KITS W/ TRIGGER INSERTS, AND TESLA PISTON SEALS FROM MACCARI, ONE IS IN THE CFX22 AND THE OTHER IN THE 22O. THEY BOTH SHOOT GREAT. THE CFX22 IS CAPABLE OF HOLE IN HOLE AT 30 YARDS WITH A 3X9-40 SCOPE. THE 220 HAS A BARREL DROOP SO THATS MY SO CALLED TRUCK GUN WITH OPEN SIGHTS, IT GROUPS 1/2 INCH AT 30 YARDS. POWER FOR BOTH ARE GOOD. NEVER HAD IT CHRONOED BUT AT THAT DISTANCE IT RIPS THROUGH 1/2 INCH BOARDS. ALL MY GAMOS WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE EXPRESS HAS BEEN DEBURRED AND POLISHED WITH DAIMOND BALL FLEX HONE TOOL. THEY ALL ARE SMOOTH FIRERING. THE BIGCAT HAS A E3650 SPRING WITH CUSTOM GUIDE, AND TESLA SEAL. IT SHOOTS INCREDIBLY STRONG. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE GAMOS BUT MY QUESTION IS, IS IT WORTH SPENDING THE MONEY FOR A MORE EXPENSIVE BRAND? WHAT ARE THE BENIFITS? WITH THE GAMOS FULLY TUNED, WILL THE MORE EXPENSIVE GUNS IN STOCK FORM PERFORM EVEN BETTER THEN THE TUNED GAMOS OR DO THEY TOO NEED TO BE CUSTOMIZED ALSO.

THE ONLY GERMAN GUN I HAVE TO COMPARE THE GAMOS WITH IS THE RWS MODEL34. I CAN SAY THAT IT IS IN NO WAY CLOSE TO MY CFX22, IT SHOOTS GREAT AND ALL BUT TO ME IT'S ONLY SLIGHTLY BETTER THAN THE 220 IN STOCK FORM MINUS THE TWANG. I'M NOT OVERLY IMPRESSED WITH THE 34 BECAUSE THE BOLTS KEEP GETTING LOOSE, THE SCOPE RAIL SUCKS TERRIBLY, AND I HAD TO REPLACE MANY PARTS. SO FAR, I'VE INVESTED CLOSE TO $300 IN PARTS ALONE ON THE 34. HAD TO GET A NEW SPRING, GUIDE KIT, SAFTEY LEVER PINS AND LINKS, PIVOT BOLT, AND THE TRIGGER ASSEMBLY. IT'S ALSO LONGER THAN THE GAMOS AND HAS A TERRIBLE FINISH. I'VE HAD TO BUFF A RE-BLUE IT ONCE ALREADY. THE GAMOS FININSH IS WAY SUPERIOR. IF THE ENGLISH AND OTHER GERMAN GUNS IS JUST LIKE THE 34 THAN MAYBE IT ISN'T WORTH ME BEING ENVIOUS OF THE MORE EXPENSIVE GUNS.

June 18th, 2008, 1:23 pm #6

It depends on what you want to use the Air Rifle for as its been mentioned you pay for what you get. The R1,6,7,9 are great German Products usually after a lube tune they are not twangy & very accurate air rifles. The HW 77s,97s are even more impressive and accurate. The Tx200s, Tomahawk are accurate, beautiful and powerful air rifle, old BSAs, Gamos/BSAs and RWS 46s,460s,48,54 are too. Some of these have near sniper rifle quality triggers or very controllable triggers. These are no doubt superior air rifles to the Gamo but at price $289 - $565 before being scoped some of them.

But if you are just plinking, hunting, informal target shooting, or pest control I can't think of anything these rifles can do accept print slightly tighter groups maybe that a Gamo can't. Beside the better workmanship, quailty in machining, trigger, barrels, better metal work and detailed wood choice and workmanship the Gamo works just as well.

I own RWS and Beemans but my Gamo Shadows .177 & .22 with gtx trigger could have been my only rifles. Its my most used rifles, performance wise its just as good almost. It won't give you bragging right or resale value but as a working rifle pending your needs its all you need, if those other things are important to ya.

After buying 20+ air rifles the Gamo is my goto rifle and could/should have been my only one. If I was smarter and we shoot on a 10-80 yard air rifle course/club.
Last edited by donack456 on June 18th, 2008, 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 21st, 2008, 10:13 am #7

i was feeling the same way about the gamos i have. other friends of mine that have shot my gamos do say that a tuned gamo is better than the stock ones and they are pretty impressed that it's the same guns as theirs but totally different in character. maybe the gamos i have do fit my needs and use more than the expensive brands. i'll just live with it until i can get to shoot a more expensive rifle hands on. thanks for replying.