Shooting like crap

Shooting like crap

September 10th, 2006, 9:27 pm #1

I started shooting like crap about mid day today or a least worse than I normally do. I had noticed my groups were starting to open up last night but didn't think to much about it since there were a lot of wind gusts.

Today, more wind gusts but my target looks like I am shooting a shotgun at it. Maybe a two and half inch wild group at 30 yards.

Maybe the scope is loose, tighten all the screws on the mount and base. Still bad. Checked the loading block pellet o-ring, looks good. Still shooting bad.

I went and got the screwdriver that I use on the CFX. The screws felt tight, but I got them to snap a little bit. Back to the target. Shot five shots and couldn't see where they were going so I pulled off a little bit and shot. Crap, they were in the same hole. Went on to do it over and over again at thirty yards.

More testing required. I can't believe just snapping the screws made that much difference. I don't have any barrel to stock rub since I removed that when the CFX was new. The sound and harmonics seem the same.

Anyone seen this before?

Chris

September 10th, 2006, 9:55 pm #2

...2 full inches at 30yds.

Steve

September 10th, 2006, 10:00 pm #3

I started shooting like crap about mid day today or a least worse than I normally do. I had noticed my groups were starting to open up last night but didn't think to much about it since there were a lot of wind gusts.

Today, more wind gusts but my target looks like I am shooting a shotgun at it. Maybe a two and half inch wild group at 30 yards.

Maybe the scope is loose, tighten all the screws on the mount and base. Still bad. Checked the loading block pellet o-ring, looks good. Still shooting bad.

I went and got the screwdriver that I use on the CFX. The screws felt tight, but I got them to snap a little bit. Back to the target. Shot five shots and couldn't see where they were going so I pulled off a little bit and shot. Crap, they were in the same hole. Went on to do it over and over again at thirty yards.

More testing required. I can't believe just snapping the screws made that much difference. I don't have any barrel to stock rub since I removed that when the CFX was new. The sound and harmonics seem the same.

Anyone seen this before?

Chris
with loose forstock screws. I replaced the factory screws with cap screws to get better torq on them.

September 10th, 2006, 11:16 pm #4

Steve
I was watching the grasses and trees while I was shooting. The pellets were all over the place. Into the wind, away from the wind, up and down. It didn't take me long to tighten the screws on the stock and they were tight already and haven't had any further problem.

I am going to tear the rifle down since I am about out of pellets, waiting on a shipment.

This was very odd for me since I have shot in the wind before.

Maybe I can find something or replace the screws like Ken.

Chris

September 10th, 2006, 11:37 pm #5

with loose forstock screws. I replaced the factory screws with cap screws to get better torq on them.
Looks like the factory screws are too long. One of the screws is shiny where it passes through the stock hole, which to me says the stock is bouncing up and down.

I ran both screws into the receiver and there is too much gap. No wonder that I couldn't get the screws any tighter, they were already bottomed out.

Still time to perform maintanence and see how things are looking.

Chris

September 11th, 2006, 1:17 am #6

stocks depress over time.

September 11th, 2006, 1:30 am #7

I am going to replace them with cap screws since I use cap screws all the time and can feel the torque of the screw better.

Thanks.

Chris

September 12th, 2006, 2:21 am #8

stocks depress over time.
I decided to go with a low socket head cap screw M5x10mm. It has a 3mm hex head socket. The original Phillips head is 12mm long. The low socket head looks real nice down in the stock screw pocket.

Chris

September 12th, 2006, 2:48 am #9

Steve
http://www.airgunexpo.com/calc/calc_wdr ... ?action=00

This is fun to play with!

Thanks Steve.

Chris