Shooting for accuracy and small groups..................

Shooting for accuracy and small groups..................

November 16th, 2010, 1:51 am #1

I always use my scopes on 12x because that is how I'm required to shoot in the HFT class. Once in a while at 50 yards I'll get a dime size 5 shot group but most of my groups end up about quarter size at that distance providing I'm not having to deal with too much wind. If I increased the power of my scope to 32 power would I realize tighter groups or would they be aproximately the same? I know my POI will be different with the higher magnification but I would guess that my group size might shrink because I would be able to improve my aim point with more scope power providing I would still get a good clear optical sight picture. Any thoughts on this will be appreciated!

lhd

November 16th, 2010, 2:12 am #2

When I go from 12X to say ... 32X at fifty yards. But my group center stays the same.

-bp

November 16th, 2010, 2:57 am #3

I always use my scopes on 12x because that is how I'm required to shoot in the HFT class. Once in a while at 50 yards I'll get a dime size 5 shot group but most of my groups end up about quarter size at that distance providing I'm not having to deal with too much wind. If I increased the power of my scope to 32 power would I realize tighter groups or would they be aproximately the same? I know my POI will be different with the higher magnification but I would guess that my group size might shrink because I would be able to improve my aim point with more scope power providing I would still get a good clear optical sight picture. Any thoughts on this will be appreciated!
and my airgun scopes only go to 16x, but unless i was benchresting (instead of shooting of a bipod) i get no changes in group size (or number of times i knock down an FT target) at a given distance

benchresting seems to take more advantage of the higher magnification. i've got a few higher mag scopes on PBs, but haven't shot them since nov '08

think of me next time you enjoy a lobstah

-bp

November 16th, 2010, 3:57 am #4

(+) Paul (+)
USFT #230
Daystate MK 4 iS MCT
FX Whisper .22
Last edited by BRPCP on November 16th, 2010, 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 16th, 2010, 11:37 am #5

and my airgun scopes only go to 16x, but unless i was benchresting (instead of shooting of a bipod) i get no changes in group size (or number of times i knock down an FT target) at a given distance

benchresting seems to take more advantage of the higher magnification. i've got a few higher mag scopes on PBs, but haven't shot them since nov '08

think of me next time you enjoy a lobstah

-bp
As plentiful as they are in these parts they are usually priced as a delicacy. If I eat lobster twice a year I feel prosperous.

November 16th, 2010, 11:45 am #6

When I go from 12X to say ... 32X at fifty yards. But my group center stays the same.
my POI wasn't within 4" of where I was hitting at 12X so turned it back to 12 power and I started hitting my spots. I don't recall if I played with my parallax or not but I'm thinking at that time (Early in my HFT career) someone told me it was legal to rangefind at higher power as long as you turned it back to 12x for the shot. Anyway, I didn't think it worked very well so that was the last time I ever took my scope off from 12X.
Last edited by dayjd on November 16th, 2010, 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 16th, 2010, 2:05 pm #7

At 50x I cannot get a clear sight picture with my Nikko no matter how much I try to adjust parallax. (I didn't touch my eye piece) Pellets are definately grouping nearly 3" low at that distance. Can't say my groups are any better either. I'm playing with my new Royal .177 and the gun really does shoot nice but as of the limited time I have played with it I cannot say my groups are any better than with my HW100 or S400. This Royal is shooting a little hotter (faster by 20 to 25 fps) than my other two favorites but still slightly under 20 ft lbs. My pellets are not sorted but have been cleaned and lubed. I feel like my scope could be a tad higher for I can see the top rim of my glasses in the sight picture. I don't feel it will take too much to get this gun right for me. It is very light even with the big Nikko on it I don't think it will go much over 8 lbs. Personally, perfer a little more weight especially for offhand shooting although I haven't tried the offhand position with this yet. Maybe I'll like it!

November 16th, 2010, 4:03 pm #8

somewhere in the kz. otherwise, i feel like a have a whole lot of room in the kz when in fact i do not. the smaller mag setting makes one concentrate more on a perfectly centered shot imo. higher mag tends to get one lazy in a sort of sense if you know what i mean. Ron Jobbs pointed this out to me at the State Match at CASA. made a lot of sense to me, and i started using that concept. i am getting my small groups back at that range again.

great post.

sincerely
Ronnie Easton
NorCal Air Gunners
Ronnie Easton
President

November 16th, 2010, 4:10 pm #9

for shooting groups! Also give me a solid bench, front rest and rear bag and a stool that actually fits me, lol, tired of having to just stand at public ranges!!! Might be time to buy an adjustable stool!!!

I think its easier to shoot smaller groups if you can clearly see what each pellet is doing on paper as you shoot, but that's just me...I know there are folks that shoot just fine at low mag, I know I CAN'T!!!

Regards,

Tony

November 16th, 2010, 4:52 pm #10

at 50x it doesn't do much for me. I'll have to play around with that scheme.