Shall I buy Shadow Express - the air shotgun?

Shall I buy Shadow Express - the air shotgun?

February 19th, 2008, 4:46 am #1

Saw this gun selling for $148 at Wal-Mart. I have read Tom Gaylord's reveiw on Viper Express where he basically said that Viper Express was only good for shooting insects *_* and I have also seen some YouTube clips, which, on the contrary, seemed doing pretty good at close range. So, shall I get the gun? I am okay with the ammo price, and my main "application" is to shoot sparrows in the backyard. TIA.
Last edited by shadow2556 on February 19th, 2008, 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 19th, 2008, 5:14 am #2

<P>It's a gimmick rifle as it's lethal range on birds and such is about 10 to 12 yards max, and as a .22 pellet shooter with a smooth bore  has very poor accuracy even at short yardages. You are better off with a Shadow in .177 or some other make of pellet rifle. I have tuned a couple of them and the best one only shot 14.3 pellets in the low 600 fps.  The feathers on birds are some time very tough to get a good lethal hit on them as they absorb the shot and not penatrate the bird. </P>
<P>I remember playing with the .22 rim fire shot shells years ago and at 15 yards they would not even break a pane of window glass.</P>

http://home.comcast.net/~peterdragin/index.html/

February 19th, 2008, 8:43 am #3

Saw this gun selling for $148 at Wal-Mart. I have read Tom Gaylord's reveiw on Viper Express where he basically said that Viper Express was only good for shooting insects *_* and I have also seen some YouTube clips, which, on the contrary, seemed doing pretty good at close range. So, shall I get the gun? I am okay with the ammo price, and my main "application" is to shoot sparrows in the backyard. TIA.
i spent $249.99+tax on a viper express almost two years ago before there was really any reviews on it. it now sits behind the chest freezer in my garage. that should tell you how awesome that peice of work is. there's nothing wrong with it but it is my so-called emergency spare parts gun if my other gamos should need replacement spring or parts.
Last edited by tsab on February 20th, 2008, 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 19th, 2008, 3:13 pm #4

I'll scrape that idea and save the money. Thanks guys. nt