Setting up a rig for HFT with Mildot Scope.

Setting up a rig for HFT with Mildot Scope.

October 13th, 2010, 3:30 am #1

I am setting up a rig for HFT so I can give it a try using the current AAFTA rules. In doing so I have come to some new revelations. One is that since I have never used a mil dot scope is that it is a lot different than clicking. When clicking it does not matter what power you set the clicks for a certain yardage and then if you want to zoom in or out it stays relative to the target where as when using mil dots the dots are different at different magnifications. This all becomes relative when you realize that you may have up to 4 or 5 dots of resolution at say 32 power but when you turn the scope down to 12x for HFT you will have just a little over 2 dots resolution. In other words a target at say 55 yards might have 4 dots hold @ 32x but only approx 2 dots at 12x so you have to be much more precise when holding for various ranges that are say 1+ dots because if you miss it by 1/4 dot you are going to be outside the margin for error where as a 1/2 dot @ 32x might still be a hit. At least this is the conclusions I have come to using trajectory calculators like chair gun.

I would like to hear others comments.
Dave.

" The world is not really round It is full of Peaks and Valleys"
Dave F.

October 13th, 2010, 3:56 am #2

Try entering 2.5in....c

October 13th, 2010, 4:10 am #3

I am setting up a rig for HFT so I can give it a try using the current AAFTA rules. In doing so I have come to some new revelations. One is that since I have never used a mil dot scope is that it is a lot different than clicking. When clicking it does not matter what power you set the clicks for a certain yardage and then if you want to zoom in or out it stays relative to the target where as when using mil dots the dots are different at different magnifications. This all becomes relative when you realize that you may have up to 4 or 5 dots of resolution at say 32 power but when you turn the scope down to 12x for HFT you will have just a little over 2 dots resolution. In other words a target at say 55 yards might have 4 dots hold @ 32x but only approx 2 dots at 12x so you have to be much more precise when holding for various ranges that are say 1+ dots because if you miss it by 1/4 dot you are going to be outside the margin for error where as a 1/2 dot @ 32x might still be a hit. At least this is the conclusions I have come to using trajectory calculators like chair gun.

Dave.

Dave F.
its quite nice having those extra holdover points not present on a standard mildot scope reticle.

Yeah, the varying mildot spread with scope that aren't first focal plane is a bit annoying but if you are setting up your Chuntsman with a scope at 12x, no worries right? You're gonna be ranging and shooting at 12x...

Regards,

Tony

lhd

October 13th, 2010, 5:05 am #4

Dave.

Dave F.
You were shooting right next to five guys in the hunter class just a couple days ago, mebbe one a them might know sumthin aboudit?

October 13th, 2010, 5:18 am #5

Not sure I can trust all that stuff said on the internet though, lol!!!

Great Shooting LD!

Regards,

Tony

PS That BR Postal Requirement SUCKS!!!

October 13th, 2010, 5:23 am #6

its quite nice having those extra holdover points not present on a standard mildot scope reticle.

Yeah, the varying mildot spread with scope that aren't first focal plane is a bit annoying but if you are setting up your Chuntsman with a scope at 12x, no worries right? You're gonna be ranging and shooting at 12x...

Regards,

Tony
I am setting up my Chuntsman with a Simmons 44mag mildot 5x20x turned down to 12x. Its the only mil dot scope I own but I have never really tried it using hold over only. I have always been a clicker.

Dave F.

October 13th, 2010, 5:27 am #7

at least to 25yards, after that, looking at 5 yard increments...that Chuntsman is certainly accurate enough from what Doug Miller said about tunnel testing it.

You gonna have it ready for the next Angeles Match or are you targeting the next Prado?

Regards,

Tony

October 13th, 2010, 5:27 am #8

You were shooting right next to five guys in the hunter class just a couple days ago, mebbe one a them might know sumthin aboudit?
I was just pointing out my new revelations since I have zero experience using Mil dot scopes. Out of curiosity how high are your mounts and how much resolution do you get mil dot wise with your BL 6x24x Set at 12x?

Dave F.

October 13th, 2010, 5:34 am #9

at least to 25yards, after that, looking at 5 yard increments...that Chuntsman is certainly accurate enough from what Doug Miller said about tunnel testing it.

You gonna have it ready for the next Angeles Match or are you targeting the next Prado?

Regards,

Tony
The Chuntsman may be the most accurate rifle I own , at least in LD's tunnel I have shot the best groups with it. I just ordered and received my Gander Mountain Bypod sticks today so I am getting things ready to give it a go.

Dave F.

October 13th, 2010, 5:36 am #10

and see what's goin' on with it velocity wise...

Regards,

Tony