Screw these airguns !!!!!!!

Screw these airguns !!!!!!!

September 8th, 2007, 5:33 pm #1

Well guys, I tried. I thought it would be fun to get into airguns, but after 2 tries, I decided that I have no interest in pursuing a hobby that is so rife with quality control problems that it just isn't worth it. I really wanted to like this and 'get into it', but these products (at least the ones I bought, are just junk that the manufacturer hopes you won't bring back).

I started out with a Quest that shot 10 inch groups at 15 yards, and went through 2 scopes in less than 200 shots. Back it went. OK, maybe I need to spend more money.

In comes the CFX. IT shot much more accurately, but you could not even chamber RWS superdomes. I first used CPL's and the most velocity I got was around 725 FPS. According to most on this forum, people seem to get around 900 out of a CFX with those pellets. I'm not really complaining about the velocity of 900, but mine is only 725, I knew that the MFGs lie about FPS. To add to that, the Superdomes can't even be chambered because the loading port mangles them when closing. I had to push them forcefully into the chamber with a screwdriver. People told me to return it, and I'm going to.

I guess I could spend even more, but I'm reluctant to do that on a gun that doesn't really go BANG. When I bought the CFX I was contemplating the RWS 34. Maybe I should have gone that way.

Maybe I just got unlucky, but this is ridiculous. I've seen $29 BB guns with better QC and performance than these guns.

DO you think I should try an RWS ??? I've pretty much had it with these Gamos and clones. I really think I'd be making a mistake to continue in this hobby, but what do you think??? Have I just gotten a few bad apples in a generally good batch, or is there only a few good apples in a truckload of rotten ones, and you need to be VERY LUCKY to get a good one ?? THis is the first product in my life that I've ever had this experience with.

REVHIGH !!!!!
Last edited by revhigh on September 8th, 2007, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 8th, 2007, 6:31 pm #2

to get a super tune kit from "Rich from Mich" or, if you don't feel comfortable tuning let him tune it for you. The Gamos should have their barrelsd cleaned at the very least and JSBs, Super Domes and FTS have been reported to work best in these guns, I use JSBs. Don't set the springer on a hard surface, use a sandbag or rolled up towel and rest within 1 inch of the trigger gaurd.

If that doesn't improve your results then I would try a German gun for twice the price, a pcp for 3 X's + the price or stick with powder burners if they give you the most shooting satisfaction. At 725 fps with a mid-weight .177 pellet something is wrong with the power plant. If that is .22 you have an outstanding gun.

HTH

September 8th, 2007, 7:01 pm #3

Well guys, I tried. I thought it would be fun to get into airguns, but after 2 tries, I decided that I have no interest in pursuing a hobby that is so rife with quality control problems that it just isn't worth it. I really wanted to like this and 'get into it', but these products (at least the ones I bought, are just junk that the manufacturer hopes you won't bring back).

I started out with a Quest that shot 10 inch groups at 15 yards, and went through 2 scopes in less than 200 shots. Back it went. OK, maybe I need to spend more money.

In comes the CFX. IT shot much more accurately, but you could not even chamber RWS superdomes. I first used CPL's and the most velocity I got was around 725 FPS. According to most on this forum, people seem to get around 900 out of a CFX with those pellets. I'm not really complaining about the velocity of 900, but mine is only 725, I knew that the MFGs lie about FPS. To add to that, the Superdomes can't even be chambered because the loading port mangles them when closing. I had to push them forcefully into the chamber with a screwdriver. People told me to return it, and I'm going to.

I guess I could spend even more, but I'm reluctant to do that on a gun that doesn't really go BANG. When I bought the CFX I was contemplating the RWS 34. Maybe I should have gone that way.

Maybe I just got unlucky, but this is ridiculous. I've seen $29 BB guns with better QC and performance than these guns.

DO you think I should try an RWS ??? I've pretty much had it with these Gamos and clones. I really think I'd be making a mistake to continue in this hobby, but what do you think??? Have I just gotten a few bad apples in a generally good batch, or is there only a few good apples in a truckload of rotten ones, and you need to be VERY LUCKY to get a good one ?? THis is the first product in my life that I've ever had this experience with.

REVHIGH !!!!!
Man, you have had bad luck! But there's no guarantee that the next one will be perfect.

The best way to ensure you have a great shooter, is to send the CFX to Rich fm Mich, or perhaps another tuner, but he's The Guy for many of us. They know what to look for, what to fix, and have the pieces and skills to do it.

That'll cost less than many upmarket air guns, and you know it's going to give you a good result.

Joe C

September 8th, 2007, 10:12 pm #4

REVHIGH !!!!!
You would not have had the problems you had with the other 2 guns. You get what you pay for.

September 8th, 2007, 10:46 pm #5

his cfx had a faulty loading block bc it was too high that the barrel opening is blocked, he couldn't load them RWS w/o mangling every pellet by forcing them in. I had this same problem. If the skirt is bad, it wont expand to trap air for the acceleration out the barrel. All b/c one small error. There are many many CFX owners with sweeter results. The problem is fixable. So no, you dont always get what you paid for. Look at my pellet test post, my cfx punched .5in group with RWS superdome at 30yd. and i paid $200 for it.

September 8th, 2007, 10:50 pm #6

to get a super tune kit from "Rich from Mich" or, if you don't feel comfortable tuning let him tune it for you. The Gamos should have their barrelsd cleaned at the very least and JSBs, Super Domes and FTS have been reported to work best in these guns, I use JSBs. Don't set the springer on a hard surface, use a sandbag or rolled up towel and rest within 1 inch of the trigger gaurd.

If that doesn't improve your results then I would try a German gun for twice the price, a pcp for 3 X's + the price or stick with powder burners if they give you the most shooting satisfaction. At 725 fps with a mid-weight .177 pellet something is wrong with the power plant. If that is .22 you have an outstanding gun.

HTH

So I guess I'm to understand that in addition to spending $200 on what is arguably one of the most accurate guns on the market for anywhere near the price (the CFX), I'm now supposed to spend another $150 on a tune for a brand new gun ??

Actually, I'm satisfied with the accuracy of the CFX (about 1.0-1.5 inches at 20 yards) not bad for a new gun. The QC of a gun or company that doesn't even allow you to chamber Superdomes leaves a lot to be desired. I neglected to say that it's a .177 gun, so 725 fps is very low according to what I've read.

Also, in a previous post I mentioned the chambering problem, and numerous other posters said they experienced the same problem. This just blows my mind that these companies evidently just turn out crap and pray that either you don't know any better or will just live with it.

My friend also bought a Quest when I bought mine and his is garbage too. It literally shoots a group about the size of a paper plate at 15 yards. Can anybody be satisfied with this kind of performance??? I have to believe that 90% of these guns get returned or never used again. I can throw a better group than these guns can shoot.

When I went to Cabelas I had every intention of getting a 34, and the guy there who seemed very knowledgeable about air guns, convinced me that the fixed barrel would be better for accuracy even though the RWS would be better for the quality of the mechanism.

I'm not sure what I'm gonna do yet, but I do know that the current CFX is going back.

September 8th, 2007, 10:56 pm #7

his cfx had a faulty loading block bc it was too high that the barrel opening is blocked, he couldn't load them RWS w/o mangling every pellet by forcing them in. I had this same problem. If the skirt is bad, it wont expand to trap air for the acceleration out the barrel. All b/c one small error. There are many many CFX owners with sweeter results. The problem is fixable. So no, you dont always get what you paid for. Look at my pellet test post, my cfx punched .5in group with RWS superdome at 30yd. and i paid $200 for it.
Henry,

So what exactly needs to be done to resolve this problem??? Is it the new thing that twists to inset the pellet (loading block ?), or does the mouth of the chamber need to be opened up, and who does it??? I'm not doing it myself because I don't think I should have to, and I'm not spending a dime to send it back to Gamo to be 'repaired', given what seems to be their QC reputation. I thought of just exchanging it for a new one as many times as needed in order to get a good one, but by the time I get a good one I may have 50 gallons of gas spent to keep exchanging it.

Are the RWS guns any better or do you need to spend $500 to be satisfied ??

REVHIGH !!!!

September 8th, 2007, 11:00 pm #8

You would not have had the problems you had with the other 2 guns. You get what you pay for.

The RWS 34 is $200 without scope, and the CFX is $200 WITH scope. Seems pretty close in terms of price since the CFX scope is probably worth about 15 cents, although it DID yield 1-1.5 inch groups out of the box with the CFX, and it DID hold it's zero for a few hundred shots rested on a sandbag without my hand in between the gun and bag.

September 8th, 2007, 11:44 pm #9

Henry,

So what exactly needs to be done to resolve this problem??? Is it the new thing that twists to inset the pellet (loading block ?), or does the mouth of the chamber need to be opened up, and who does it??? I'm not doing it myself because I don't think I should have to, and I'm not spending a dime to send it back to Gamo to be 'repaired', given what seems to be their QC reputation. I thought of just exchanging it for a new one as many times as needed in order to get a good one, but by the time I get a good one I may have 50 gallons of gas spent to keep exchanging it.

Are the RWS guns any better or do you need to spend $500 to be satisfied ??

REVHIGH !!!!
<P>Most of the time the block OVER ROTATES and this causes the pellt loading problem. I have not seen one that is to small yat but there could be a first time.</P>
<P>A Gamo is not even close to be broken in till you have at least a thousand pellets shot. By then everything has settled down and the fps is up to almost it's max. The trigger will have smoothed out the twang is reduced, cocking gets smoother, etc.</P>

http://home.comcast.net/~peterdragin/index.html/

September 9th, 2007, 1:17 am #10

The RWS 34 is $200 without scope, and the CFX is $200 WITH scope. Seems pretty close in terms of price since the CFX scope is probably worth about 15 cents, although it DID yield 1-1.5 inch groups out of the box with the CFX, and it DID hold it's zero for a few hundred shots rested on a sandbag without my hand in between the gun and bag.
A
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/i ... 0622166022
or:
B
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/i ... 0622166160

Send it back if you can.........