SCOPE SIGHTING

SCOPE SIGHTING

March 25th, 2012, 6:30 pm #1

i have a 4-16x56 center point scope on my marauder,now for setting the focus for every yard what power should i have it on? and what do you put on your side wheel for marking on?
Last edited by N1YDP on March 25th, 2012, 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 25th, 2012, 8:23 pm #2

that centerpoint down to every yard but 10 or 11 to 20 may be possible. After that even on my big Nikko 5 yards increments seemed to work the best. I have used medical tape on my big wheels in the past. However, a one side sticky mylar might work better. Would also be interested to hear what others say.

March 25th, 2012, 8:30 pm #3

what power do i set it on from 4 to 16?

March 25th, 2012, 8:50 pm #4

that centerpoint down to every yard but 10 or 11 to 20 may be possible. After that even on my big Nikko 5 yards increments seemed to work the best. I have used medical tape on my big wheels in the past. However, a one side sticky mylar might work better. Would also be interested to hear what others say.

March 25th, 2012, 8:56 pm #5

i have a 4-16x56 center point scope on my marauder,now for setting the focus for every yard what power should i have it on? and what do you put on your side wheel for marking on?
If your shooting hunter class FT then the max allowed scope power is 12x so you're 4-16 power scope will need to be turned down to 12 power for that class. When I had a sidewheel scope mounted on my HW77 I used the same vinyl electrical tape and a prmanent marker that I use for my AO marking.
Last edited by nced1 on March 25th, 2012, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 25th, 2012, 10:21 pm #6

so when i am setting up my scope for yardage i should have the scope on highest power like 12x and focus the scope?

March 26th, 2012, 12:36 am #7

the AO or side wheel a LOT to even notice a focus change, if at all. This is why most FT shooters (except hunter class shooters) use 32x plus scopes for rangefinding, and I understand that 24x is about the minimum power required to get some reasonable rangefinding accuracy.

March 26th, 2012, 3:01 pm #8

so when i am setting up my scope for yardage i should have the scope on highest power like 12x and focus the scope?
TEST BEFORE, at some reasonable range, like 35 to 40 yards, if your scope shifts POI from 12X to 16X.

If it does not, then do your range-defining sessions at 16X and then come down to 12X for all your practice and match shooting.

Take it easy and start with clear-cut objects, like flowers in vases and other stuff that has some color and detail.

Make your marks in pencil.

Do not stare at the objects more than a few (10) seconds at a time.

Rest your eyes by looking as far away as you can between scope-wiewings.

Mark the ranges when going near to far, and also when coming far to near. Different colored pencils could help here.

Take a good, long rest.

Now, get some targets with print in them. At least 8 pts. high for the capital letters.

Now, see how your ranges check with the previously marked ones.

If they check well, take another rest, now you can now reduce to 12X and re-check.

If all the markings check well, then you can overwrite the pencil marks with ink/sharpie and then tape some clear Scotch tape over the marks to keep the fingers from smudging the tape.

HTH

Un Abrazo!

H�ctor

March 26th, 2012, 8:18 pm #9

thanks for the info

March 27th, 2012, 3:01 am #10

TEST BEFORE, at some reasonable range, like 35 to 40 yards, if your scope shifts POI from 12X to 16X.

If it does not, then do your range-defining sessions at 16X and then come down to 12X for all your practice and match shooting.

Take it easy and start with clear-cut objects, like flowers in vases and other stuff that has some color and detail.

Make your marks in pencil.

Do not stare at the objects more than a few (10) seconds at a time.

Rest your eyes by looking as far away as you can between scope-wiewings.

Mark the ranges when going near to far, and also when coming far to near. Different colored pencils could help here.

Take a good, long rest.

Now, get some targets with print in them. At least 8 pts. high for the capital letters.

Now, see how your ranges check with the previously marked ones.

If they check well, take another rest, now you can now reduce to 12X and re-check.

If all the markings check well, then you can overwrite the pencil marks with ink/sharpie and then tape some clear Scotch tape over the marks to keep the fingers from smudging the tape.

HTH

Un Abrazo!

H�ctor
good advice, Hector. nt