Scope headbangin'

Scope headbangin'

June 26th, 2011, 11:39 am #1

I'm runnning into something when ranging. I've seen it a few times and was hoping someone else might have experienced the same thing.

I've taken my 4200 Elite and done the whole drill of marking the bell. I can range in the back yard and come up within 18" out to 45-48 yards when checking the range with a 100' steel tape. Out at 50-55 yards I'm usually within 2 yards.

When shooting matches I usually range right with the guys with the big scopes with the sidewheels whenever we might mention range.

The problem I have is when i start the day I'll come up 10 yards short when ranging at the practise range. The known 50 yard target will range as low as 40 yards sometimes.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Knobs

June 26th, 2011, 12:35 pm #2

Sounds like a temperature shift, but usually they aren't that great. At Nationals one year I was 12 clicks under at sight in, by noon my zero was back. I just added 12, then 10, then 8 etc. as it warmed up. Or maybe there is an O ring that takes a while to loosen up. I have a temp. tape on the side of my scope now. I'm good between 60 and 80 degrees. Hotter and I'm high, colder and I'm low. Your issue could be completely different tho. That's just my experience.

Good luck finding the issue
Greg S

June 26th, 2011, 2:01 pm #3

But it isn't the zero point that changes, it's the range reading on the bell.

K

June 26th, 2011, 2:20 pm #4

I'm runnning into something when ranging. I've seen it a few times and was hoping someone else might have experienced the same thing.

I've taken my 4200 Elite and done the whole drill of marking the bell. I can range in the back yard and come up within 18" out to 45-48 yards when checking the range with a 100' steel tape. Out at 50-55 yards I'm usually within 2 yards.

When shooting matches I usually range right with the guys with the big scopes with the sidewheels whenever we might mention range.

The problem I have is when i start the day I'll come up 10 yards short when ranging at the practise range. The known 50 yard target will range as low as 40 yards sometimes.

Thanks

Knobs
vs. the temp at the sight in range? I've had this problem a couple of times but usually it was with my 6-18 Trophy. I actually now have two sets of marking on my 6-18 Trophy, one taken in about 55 deg temp and one at about 80 deg. I make a note of the temp outside when I do my ranging setup and mark that temp. on the ranging tape. I have had the problem when its fairly cool, say 40-45 deg. during sight in and temps rise to say 65 or 70 during the match. One thing I do is sit the rig out in the sun before sight in to heat it up on those cool mornings. Alternatively if its really warm and sunny, I bring a towel to lay over the rig to keep the sun from beating down on it during the match. I guess the best way to say it is that I try to keep the rigs temp about the same throughout the sight in and match based upon how warm I think its going to get. I've not had that much of a problem with my 6-24 and 8-32 Elites however.

Jeff P

June 26th, 2011, 6:20 pm #5

I do the sight-in out the basement door. The indoor temp is about 75 degree.

The early AM temps at the range has probably been around 80-85, but the gun has been sitting in an A/C vehicle during the 2 hour drive to DIFTA. I may need to let it stabilize for a half hour or so in the outside air.

K

June 26th, 2011, 8:44 pm #6

Thanks

Knobs
at 12x an usin' holdover it don't matter much iffn yer AO reads 45 or 55 yards.

Sorry Knobs (well, not really).....I just hadda try growin' the hunter class ranks at the expense of a nutter class so us hunters can have 'nuff shooters fer a platform split! LOL

June 26th, 2011, 10:44 pm #7

June 26th, 2011, 11:00 pm #8

Thanks

Knobs
about putting oring buffers on i think the front scope ring to allow it to barely touch the tube with with tension on the rubber o-rings. His theory was that is the scope was moving this would allow it to slide instead of bind and keep your poi intact.

If I mess that up someone help me out here!! But maybe that might be something you would want to look into.

It is what it is, because it is!!!

-bp

June 27th, 2011, 12:09 am #9

and it stopped my zero shift. i believe (ok, i am guessing) that my front mount and my back mount were arguing with each other during temp changes, so the back mount holds the scope tight and the front mount (cushioned with a thin layer of RTV seems to allow the back ring to do all the holding and not wrestle with it during temp shifts.

then again, i could be all wet, but it seems to have fixed the problem

btw, RTV is room-temp-vulcanizing, or GE silicone seal

-bp

June 27th, 2011, 12:41 am #10

at 12x an usin' holdover it don't matter much iffn yer AO reads 45 or 55 yards.

Sorry Knobs (well, not really).....I just hadda try growin' the hunter class ranks at the expense of a nutter class so us hunters can have 'nuff shooters fer a platform split! LOL
.....crossed sticks? maybe crutches someday LOL.

K