Say what you will, Harvey.....

Say what you will, Harvey.....

April 10th, 2012, 1:34 am #1

....but I think Stan Getz and his "Long Island Sound" was the best of all tenor players.

I've heard Coltrane, Rollins, Young, Webster, Hawkins and the rest, but Stan's the Man to my ears!

BTW, what do YOU sound like? Please post an audio clip!

Hal

April 10th, 2012, 3:14 am #2

John Coltrane has got to be up there with the best of the writers and tenor sax players. The album "Giant Steps" is one of my favorites. If I had to pick a music clip to post it would have to be "Naima." I believe all the music on the entire album was written by Coltrane.

For alto, Paul Desmond. A lot of folks think that Dave Brubeck wrote "Take Five" but it was Desmond. Brubeck wrote every other song on the album "Time Out" except that one song. Terrific album and every song on it is legendary.

There are a lot of other awesome greats, too many to list (but can't leave out the Birdman if we're talking about the saxophone).

April 10th, 2012, 3:29 pm #3

....there's a little joke about the Dave Brubeck quartet:

They were playing a club where several "square" college girls were in the audience.

As usual, Paul Desmond gave a stunning performance, and when it was over, the college girls came up to Desmond and said: "Gee, Mr. Brubeck, you were wonderful!"

Hal

April 10th, 2012, 4:09 pm #4

John Coltrane has got to be up there with the best of the writers and tenor sax players. The album "Giant Steps" is one of my favorites. If I had to pick a music clip to post it would have to be "Naima." I believe all the music on the entire album was written by Coltrane.

For alto, Paul Desmond. A lot of folks think that Dave Brubeck wrote "Take Five" but it was Desmond. Brubeck wrote every other song on the album "Time Out" except that one song. Terrific album and every song on it is legendary.

There are a lot of other awesome greats, too many to list (but can't leave out the Birdman if we're talking about the saxophone).
...if I were discussing Alto players, but I was discussing Tenormen!

Howl

April 11th, 2012, 12:25 am #5

Michael Becker. There are too many to think about. It's fun to listen to the differences in sound that players get out of their horns. Do we have any horn players here?

April 11th, 2012, 1:39 am #6

The best Tenor players are dead!

Halsworth

April 12th, 2012, 1:47 am #7

But there are still many excellent players that are alive. I think Wayne Shorter is still around. He must be close to 80 years old and is known for composing quite a few standards. Brecker is a young guy in his mid or late 60's. Well know for r&b.

I think there are plenty of great players still around. I've seen guys come out of nowhere that walked up onstage on a jam night at some no name club that were terrific players.