Saw a post about the BOI and anonymity, got me thinking

Saw a post about the BOI and anonymity, got me thinking

July 29th, 2012, 9:54 pm #1

Anonymity on the internet is an oxymoron. Unless live your life in read-only mode, or you routinely post thru multiple layers of proxy servers, you are identifiable and trackable. Even if you do use multiple layers of proxy servers, the tracks are still there for someone motivated enough to follow them. Anytime you post anything anywhere, you leave a digital footprint that never goes away. And everything is archived somewhere.

Think about this: EVERYTHING you've ever done on the internet is recorded and archived somewhere. Data mining is not new, but archive data mining is just starting to be explored by marketing firms, and one would assume, bad guys as well. Bad guys usually preceed legitimate uses of just about any technology.

Am I afraid? Hell no. It's just the world we live in now. Different from the one I grew up in, but then that's always the case. My kids are all over the digital world, without a care in that one or the real one. Why? Because everybody else is too. Privacy, secrecy and mystery are no longer valuable commodities. They have been replaced by connectivity, exposure, and information.

I'm old enough to remember a world where computers were big and held in glass-walled rooms, attended to by several guys in white coats. My kids are young enough to have grown up with a computer in the home, but also old enough to remember when the internet was new.

I look at it this way, from the perspective of a man approching middle age (a saying my grandfather used until his dying day!) This is a very exciting time to grow old. The RATE of change has increased exponentially in my lifetime, and that rate of change will only increase.

Every generation before us has gone thru similar changes, and they seemed as monumental as these do to us. Like I said, it looks to be a very exciting time to grow old and get left behind. I will attempt to keep up, but I know I will struggle, and ultimately be left behind. Just like all those who have gone before me.

I think we're all Bozos on this bus.

July 29th, 2012, 10:18 pm #2

My family name has less than thirty in the US. You don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to see where I live once you know it. I used to post firearms for sale at the local ranges until I discovered I could literally print a map to my door through reverse phone number look up. I've been burglarized before and it's no fun. You list some nice pieces and anyone can jot down your number and trace it back. Ditto your name. While I agree, it IS an exciting new age we find ourselves living in with amazing "improvements" popping up it seems daily, along with those wonders come a few new wrinkles. Anyway, I'm not of the "Let me show off my walls of guns" school and never was, although I might be able to hang a modest section or three. Why I don't have a glass fronted gun cabinet.

BTW, my burglary didn't originate from a gun posting. No, it was a realtor who was using her lock box key as part of a theft ring. Who could have guessed? Bet she had internet listing access, too.

July 30th, 2012, 12:20 am #3

Crimes such as burglary are not committed by complete strangers to the victim. In fact, the criminal is typically someone we know or who has had some form of direct contact with us to learn the potential gains of the act.

Sorry to hear. I would hope the realtor got his or hers in the end...

"The majority of things in our lives are created by folks no smarter than the rest. Afterall, the world is comprised, and operated by C average people intellctually, academically, and morally. These people are often the great pioneers that set the precedent for what excellence should be."

July 30th, 2012, 12:33 am #4

My family name has less than thirty in the US. You don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to see where I live once you know it. I used to post firearms for sale at the local ranges until I discovered I could literally print a map to my door through reverse phone number look up. I've been burglarized before and it's no fun. You list some nice pieces and anyone can jot down your number and trace it back. Ditto your name. While I agree, it IS an exciting new age we find ourselves living in with amazing "improvements" popping up it seems daily, along with those wonders come a few new wrinkles. Anyway, I'm not of the "Let me show off my walls of guns" school and never was, although I might be able to hang a modest section or three. Why I don't have a glass fronted gun cabinet.

BTW, my burglary didn't originate from a gun posting. No, it was a realtor who was using her lock box key as part of a theft ring. Who could have guessed? Bet she had internet listing access, too.
Was she arrested? n/t

July 30th, 2012, 1:25 am #5

How dumb can you get? It didn't take them long to figure these were sort of "inside jobs". She took one of our bath towels to bundle stuff in. My neighbor saw her come out with it but thought, hey, she's a realtor and their house is listed. We told her no problem. Who could know?

August 1st, 2012, 6:07 am #6

Anonymity on the internet is an oxymoron. Unless live your life in read-only mode, or you routinely post thru multiple layers of proxy servers, you are identifiable and trackable. Even if you do use multiple layers of proxy servers, the tracks are still there for someone motivated enough to follow them. Anytime you post anything anywhere, you leave a digital footprint that never goes away. And everything is archived somewhere.

Think about this: EVERYTHING you've ever done on the internet is recorded and archived somewhere. Data mining is not new, but archive data mining is just starting to be explored by marketing firms, and one would assume, bad guys as well. Bad guys usually preceed legitimate uses of just about any technology.

Am I afraid? Hell no. It's just the world we live in now. Different from the one I grew up in, but then that's always the case. My kids are all over the digital world, without a care in that one or the real one. Why? Because everybody else is too. Privacy, secrecy and mystery are no longer valuable commodities. They have been replaced by connectivity, exposure, and information.

I'm old enough to remember a world where computers were big and held in glass-walled rooms, attended to by several guys in white coats. My kids are young enough to have grown up with a computer in the home, but also old enough to remember when the internet was new.

I look at it this way, from the perspective of a man approching middle age (a saying my grandfather used until his dying day!) This is a very exciting time to grow old. The RATE of change has increased exponentially in my lifetime, and that rate of change will only increase.

Every generation before us has gone thru similar changes, and they seemed as monumental as these do to us. Like I said, it looks to be a very exciting time to grow old and get left behind. I will attempt to keep up, but I know I will struggle, and ultimately be left behind. Just like all those who have gone before me.

Before the industrial revolution, generations could go by with few changes in your way of life; transportation, food, clothing, etc, were much like your fathers, and his grandfathers. It's only since the 19th century that people have seen massive changes in a lifetime(or more recently,over just a generation)

August 2nd, 2012, 6:41 pm #7

Hardware and methodology have changed, but function and purpose have not.

Certainly the human condition has not changed one iota in rate or quality.

The plague was replaced tuberculosis, influenza, hepatitis , AIDS, obesity...

The RECENT Catholic priest shenanigans are nothing new to the Catholic priests of the 1500s.

War? Please.

Crime? Hah!

Drug use? Are you kidding?

Abuse of power? Snort!

Charles Dickens writes of very specific scam in his "Sketches by Boz" that is the exact same profile you can find in NYC right now.

Young people have always been shallow (they used to call it callow).

Old people have always believed that they can see the fall of man.

Don't fret about getting old. Whether you read words on paper or bytes on a Kindle makes no difference. Only the quality of the story counts. That your car runs on gas while the neighbor runs on electricity makes no difference. Only that you get to your destination counts.

Our forests used to be cycads. Now they are not. They used to be 75% chestnut. Now they are not. The hemlock is disappearing. It makes no difference. "Forest" will still exist. Will it be a new forest? Not really. Still a forest.

Change is a myth.

Myth is religion.

Religion is not allowed here, so Change does not exist.

Booya!