S1K Tuned Now Looking for Ideas

S1K Tuned Now Looking for Ideas

December 31st, 2006, 12:25 am #1

Finally had the opportunity to tune the $74 S1K with the kit from Rich. After putting it back together decided on using a CPH for the first shot. The first thing I noticed was an increase in cocking effort. Not bad just an increase on the first one and subsequent were less, but feel like more than before. Did not notice any deisling, but since it was like 2 in the morning I put the gun down for the night and cleaned up my mess happy there was no twang. The next day the wind was in my face at around 20 mph, but wanted to get some shots through it and chrony a string. Put a dozen and a half shots through it to get the iron sights sighted in. Then set up the chrony and started shooting through it. 8 shots through it all within the 820 to 830 range. Then I ran into a problem and need some ideas.

The problem, when cocking the gun it fails to catch engaging the trigger like as if I was pulling the trigger while cocking. Brought the gun iside and removed the stock and looked over the sliding block and trigger block carefully looking for anything hanging up. Everything looked normal, so put it back together and tried cocking it and it worked perfectly. That is it worked for about 25 shots and then had the same problem. Took the stock off and rechecked it again to no avail. The only thing I did to the trigger block when I tuned it was to remove it from the reciever and put it back in. I had already put in Rich's trigger mod a couple of months earlier and no problems cocking through about 200 shots. Decided I should do something so I turned the adjustment screw for a firmer trigger. No help again after a couple of dozen shots the same thing. Worked the action several times and finally it caught and worked for a few more shots. Today took it out and after twenty or so shots the same thing happened. Put it down for a couple of hours and retired it. At first it almost caught so I worked the action and then it caught. Just tried it and found if I hold the trigger back it catches, but if I hold it foward it does not. Already concluded the trigger block needs to come back out and rechecked. Anybody have some ideas of what I should look for while it's out.

December 31st, 2006, 1:44 am #2

Email me I think I know what has  happend.

http://home.comcast.net/~peterdragin/index.html/

December 31st, 2006, 2:02 am #3

Thanks

January 1st, 2007, 5:52 am #4

Finally had the opportunity to tune the $74 S1K with the kit from Rich. After putting it back together decided on using a CPH for the first shot. The first thing I noticed was an increase in cocking effort. Not bad just an increase on the first one and subsequent were less, but feel like more than before. Did not notice any deisling, but since it was like 2 in the morning I put the gun down for the night and cleaned up my mess happy there was no twang. The next day the wind was in my face at around 20 mph, but wanted to get some shots through it and chrony a string. Put a dozen and a half shots through it to get the iron sights sighted in. Then set up the chrony and started shooting through it. 8 shots through it all within the 820 to 830 range. Then I ran into a problem and need some ideas.

The problem, when cocking the gun it fails to catch engaging the trigger like as if I was pulling the trigger while cocking. Brought the gun iside and removed the stock and looked over the sliding block and trigger block carefully looking for anything hanging up. Everything looked normal, so put it back together and tried cocking it and it worked perfectly. That is it worked for about 25 shots and then had the same problem. Took the stock off and rechecked it again to no avail. The only thing I did to the trigger block when I tuned it was to remove it from the reciever and put it back in. I had already put in Rich's trigger mod a couple of months earlier and no problems cocking through about 200 shots. Decided I should do something so I turned the adjustment screw for a firmer trigger. No help again after a couple of dozen shots the same thing. Worked the action several times and finally it caught and worked for a few more shots. Today took it out and after twenty or so shots the same thing happened. Put it down for a couple of hours and retired it. At first it almost caught so I worked the action and then it caught. Just tried it and found if I hold the trigger back it catches, but if I hold it foward it does not. Already concluded the trigger block needs to come back out and rechecked. Anybody have some ideas of what I should look for while it's out.
Rich is the MAN! Nailed it first thing. Really should have e-maild Rich first, but was inclined to think it was my reinstallation of the trigger block causing the problem. Nope, I put too many washers, one too many on the rear spring guide. Live and learn and should take my own advice. When you change something and it does not work right, go back to what you changed.

Guess I never introduced myself on this forum. Hi, my name is Harold and I work on airplanes, big ones. Specialize in the avionics and control systems and although I belong to the machinist union I do not consider myself one. Do pretty good throwing something together made out of wood, but metal forget it. Been looking for a hobby for some time, retirement staring me in the face, something I like and one to keep my hands busy and get me outside. Think I found it! Currently I have an old BSA Meteor, that was my dad's, a Gamo Varmit Hunter, a S1K, and recently bought a used 350M.

This thread is about the S1K bought from Wally World for $74. So far everything I have put in it has come from Rich, and I have nothing but Praise for the parts and service from Rich. First thing to go in was the trigger insert. Now when I shoot the crosshairs stay on target vs. being pulled off to the right when squeezing the triggar, or the left shooting left handed. In the long past when I use to shoot I would always hold the aim a little off to the left of target to compensate for this. Maybe I'll be a better shooter now. The second thing I did was to tune and install the Super Tune Kit. Honestly I did not really do as much polishing as I should have. Did take off all of the sharp edges and smoothed them inside and out. Lubed everything per directions as it went back together. Today, after removing the extra washer while I had it on the spring compressor, I knocked off the front sights removed the rear sights and installed Rich's QBrake. This brake is well worth it just for making it easier to cock the rifle. Even after installing one of JM's beefier Trantula springs, it is now easier than when it came out of the box. Do not hear too good nowdays, rock concerts and jet engines will do that, but can feel real well and not only do I not hear any twang I do not feel it or torque when shooting now. Very smooth cocking and shooting. Would I do it again, you bet and will to that other Gamo I have and shot last night. Thought how gnarly it shoots, gotta tune this one. What next? Maybe a wood stock. Here is a Picture of the one just tuned.

January 1st, 2007, 6:03 am #5

Its good to see you guys worked it out. Sounds like a great gun.

January 1st, 2007, 7:58 pm #6

Rich is the MAN! Nailed it first thing. Really should have e-maild Rich first, but was inclined to think it was my reinstallation of the trigger block causing the problem. Nope, I put too many washers, one too many on the rear spring guide. Live and learn and should take my own advice. When you change something and it does not work right, go back to what you changed.

Guess I never introduced myself on this forum. Hi, my name is Harold and I work on airplanes, big ones. Specialize in the avionics and control systems and although I belong to the machinist union I do not consider myself one. Do pretty good throwing something together made out of wood, but metal forget it. Been looking for a hobby for some time, retirement staring me in the face, something I like and one to keep my hands busy and get me outside. Think I found it! Currently I have an old BSA Meteor, that was my dad's, a Gamo Varmit Hunter, a S1K, and recently bought a used 350M.

This thread is about the S1K bought from Wally World for $74. So far everything I have put in it has come from Rich, and I have nothing but Praise for the parts and service from Rich. First thing to go in was the trigger insert. Now when I shoot the crosshairs stay on target vs. being pulled off to the right when squeezing the triggar, or the left shooting left handed. In the long past when I use to shoot I would always hold the aim a little off to the left of target to compensate for this. Maybe I'll be a better shooter now. The second thing I did was to tune and install the Super Tune Kit. Honestly I did not really do as much polishing as I should have. Did take off all of the sharp edges and smoothed them inside and out. Lubed everything per directions as it went back together. Today, after removing the extra washer while I had it on the spring compressor, I knocked off the front sights removed the rear sights and installed Rich's QBrake. This brake is well worth it just for making it easier to cock the rifle. Even after installing one of JM's beefier Trantula springs, it is now easier than when it came out of the box. Do not hear too good nowdays, rock concerts and jet engines will do that, but can feel real well and not only do I not hear any twang I do not feel it or torque when shooting now. Very smooth cocking and shooting. Would I do it again, you bet and will to that other Gamo I have and shot last night. Thought how gnarly it shoots, gotta tune this one. What next? Maybe a wood stock. Here is a Picture of the one just tuned.

Glad to hear you've gotten that problem resolved. I agree, Rich gives great advice sells great products to boot. I had gotten a spring guide kit from him also but that was before he was making them with the new material (which is supposed to be better). I don't know, the one I installed is working great, I don't know how it could be better. Also, I'm really liking that photo of your shadow with the Q brake and I sort of wished you hadn't posted that photo of it...it sure looks great! I forsee another purchase in my near future..LOL.

January 1st, 2007, 8:24 pm #7

January 3rd, 2007, 2:37 am #8

installation of ALL the parts Rich sent me with his kit. I Put them All in at Once and had no room left over for the trigger to grab the piston to cock. Once or twice, I forcefully "over-cocked" it and that baby was Really shooting Supersonic, but it wasn't safe in that condition. So I simply removed one of the delrin washers to "de-tune" it to shoot in the Low 1000's.
Now if only I could put a choke on that barrel near the muzzle.
How about a hydraulic hose repair shop that isn't afraid of "challenges"?

January 3rd, 2007, 9:39 am #9

After I removed the washer thought I remembered he said somewhere it was not necessary. Wish I had remembered when assembling it. I do remember thinking it would help with isolating the twisting from the spring, but that was the reason for the top rollars. Duh!

The chrony readings I was getting with the washer in was in the 820's. After removing it and 30 shots later, to check the cocking, put it across the chrony again with CPL's.
1) 850.9
2) 851.5
3) 840.2
4) 853.6
5) 855.1
6) 849.9
7) 847.5
8) 847.5
9) 847.9
10)857.1 after 2 errs and lowering the white things.
The sun was getting low and questioning shots 7 & 8 thought another try was in order.
1) 849.6
2) 840.3
3) 855.8
4) 859.4
Then it was nothing but errors so I gave up trying to get chrony readings The numbers show there was no decrease with removing the washer and maybe still climbing as things are breaking in. The gun had less than 200 shots through it before tuning so I used the original pistion seal. There was a tiny piece of metal imbeded in the face of the seal which I removed, however not anywhere that would cause a problem with sealing. For reference I did a string when the gun came out of the box. 10 shots 3 dieseled and thrown out. The rest were between 833 and 849. All but 2 were in the 830's. Think I'll keep checking it every 100 to 200 shots to monitor the changes if any.

After the chrony tried hiting a target at 20 yards and could not hit the paper. So brought the target up to 15 feet and found it shooting low to the right. Adjusted the elevation to hit an inch below aim point and brought the windage over so it hit directly below. Then took the target out to ten yards and found it still hitting about the same. Took it out to 20 and the first shot was within an inch of the aim point then the shots started going everywhere. It seemed that way. Had put some tape on the mount rail and on the tube and noticed a very small amount of creep on the mounts and more on the tube. Stripped out the allen wrench and one scew head the last time I mounted the rings and did not get that scew as tight as I wanted. Plus I did not use any loctite. It maybe too much scope for the gun, but I will keep trying even going to a one piece that costs more than the scope.

January 3rd, 2007, 9:44 am #10

Glad to hear you've gotten that problem resolved. I agree, Rich gives great advice sells great products to boot. I had gotten a spring guide kit from him also but that was before he was making them with the new material (which is supposed to be better). I don't know, the one I installed is working great, I don't know how it could be better. Also, I'm really liking that photo of your shadow with the Q brake and I sort of wished you hadn't posted that photo of it...it sure looks great! I forsee another purchase in my near future..LOL.
Really like the looks of that brake. Should take a pic of both the S1K and the Varmit Hunter, both with that brake on them. Need to get it with sun light on them instead of a flash.
Last edited by Avox on January 3rd, 2007, 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.