RWS 34 T05 Trigger-Not-Latching Issue Reappears - Your Guidance Please

July 7th, 2012, 12:01 am #1

I thought the problem got resolved.

The RWS 34 T05 trigger would not latch. Here is what I did to resolve the problems the first time:
I took out the trigger assembly (undisturbed) from the compression chamber.
I pulled the trigger (now uncocked) before inserting the assembly back into the chamber - the safety tab was pushed in.
I inserted the front pin first followed by the rear pin.

After assembly, I cocked the rifle - the trigger latched properly and safety came on.
I put the safety in fire position, pulled the trigger and the gun fired.

After the first firing, the trigger would not latch again and safety would not work. Your guidance please.

July 7th, 2012, 12:14 am #2

backing the trigger adjustment screw out about 1/4 turn and seeing what happens?

"You've come far, pilgrim."------"Feels like far."
"Were it worth the trouble?"----"Ah, what trouble?"
Jim in SWMO

"You've come far, pilgrim."-------"Feels like far."
"Were it worth the trouble?"-----"Ah, what trouble?"

July 7th, 2012, 1:02 am #3

Yes I tried that also. First I fully turned screw clockwise. Then I went counter-clockwise, quarter turn at a time - but no more than two ccw turns. After each quarter turn, I tried to cock - but to no avail. Thank you for your pointer.

July 7th, 2012, 1:18 am #4

The RWS 34 T05 trigger would not latch. Here is what I did to resolve the problems the first time:
I pulled the trigger (now uncocked) before inserting the assembly back into the chamber - the safety tab was pushed in.

After assembly, I cocked the rifle - the trigger latched properly and safety came on.

After the first firing, the trigger would not latch again and safety would not work. Your guidance please.

It's been a few years since I was into my 34, but as I recall, I set up the trigger and safety assembly with a couple of slave pins to hold it all together and verify function. The pins were made to be short enough to allow the assembly to slide into the tube. I made sure it latched and released, and the safety functioned, before re-inserting the trigger assembly. Then the real pins pushed the slave pins out, without anything changing position. As I recall, the safety can be tricky, and can interefere with the operation if not properly configured. Your best bet is to make sure the whole trigger/safety assembly works outside the gun, and the only way to do that is with pins in place. Make yourself a couple of pins that are long enough to allow you to assemble the trigger outside the gun, but still short enough to slide the assembly into the gun. It sounds much harder than it is.

I think we're all Bozos on this bus.

July 7th, 2012, 1:41 am #5

A couple pieces of 3/16" diameter brass rod about 1" long will work for the slave pins. I used some 3/16" hardwood dowel when I tore my 34 apart and it worked, too. But the brass rod will hold up better.

Edited to correct the diameter size.

"You've come far, pilgrim."------"Feels like far."
"Were it worth the trouble?"----"Ah, what trouble?"
Jim in SWMO

"You've come far, pilgrim."-------"Feels like far."
"Were it worth the trouble?"-----"Ah, what trouble?"

July 7th, 2012, 5:12 pm #6

It's been a few years since I was into my 34, but as I recall, I set up the trigger and safety assembly with a couple of slave pins to hold it all together and verify function. The pins were made to be short enough to allow the assembly to slide into the tube. I made sure it latched and released, and the safety functioned, before re-inserting the trigger assembly. Then the real pins pushed the slave pins out, without anything changing position. As I recall, the safety can be tricky, and can interefere with the operation if not properly configured. Your best bet is to make sure the whole trigger/safety assembly works outside the gun, and the only way to do that is with pins in place. Make yourself a couple of pins that are long enough to allow you to assemble the trigger outside the gun, but still short enough to slide the assembly into the gun. It sounds much harder than it is.

I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Please let us know how things go. Thanks N/T

July 9th, 2012, 1:11 am #7

Since I have the 34 disassembled, I would like to check and conform as to which sides of two plates in the T05 trigger assembly are to face in which direction. The #104 is the front plate that is toward the barrel. The #105 is the rear plate that is toward the safety.

I have read in two places that rear #105 plate (tab down) should have the round face of the plate facing rearward - both sources are in agreement. As to the front #104 plate, (hole closer to the edge down) one source states that the rounded face should face the rear. The other sources states that the rounded face of the plate should face the front. It is reported rigger worked OK in both cases.

As to the front plate #104, which direction should I follow - rounded face toward the front or the rear? Thanks

July 9th, 2012, 12:15 pm #8

rounded face toward the front.
The easy way to remember is two flat faces go together.

July 9th, 2012, 3:40 pm #9

Problem resolved in an accidental way.

I have a 34 and a 34P. I acquired 34P with synthetic stock first. Couple of weeks ago I got the 34 with wood stock that was made in 1987. After a lube job, the 34 developed a problem - when cocking, the trigger would not latch. None of hints I was given worked.

Out of curiosity I switched stocks of the two rifles. I put the synthetic stock on the 1987 version with iron sights. I put the wood stock on the version with fiber optic sights.

With the switching of the stocks, the trigger latching problem of the 1987 version disappeared. I suspect the problem revolved around the clearances between the stock and the metal near the rear end of the compression chamber where the trigger safety resides.

Now a question - are the wood and the synthetic stocks supposed to be switchable?