RIP Maddie

RIP Maddie

April 18th, 2012, 2:29 am #1

She was hit run over Sunday night by some heartless bastard who kept going. I can only hope whoever it was dies alone. I used to be on a quiet residential street until GPS. Now I see car zooming by at 50MPH all day because the GPS shows this as the shortest distance instead of taking RT 9n but they travel on Water St like they are still on 9N.
She was in shock when I got there but breathing. We got a board and called the vet and her breathing was raspy. I had her covered with a blanket in the back of a friend's pickup and about 1/2 way on the 6 mile trip to the vets, her pupils stopped reacting to the flashlight, so I started CPR until we got there but there was no rising of her chest and it felt like I was blowing bubbles. Her lungs must have been collapsed or full of blood. The vet confirmed what I already knew but was hoping against hope.
We wrapped her up in her blanket and set her like she was sleeping before rigor set in.

Yesterday, I had to bury her at sunrise in here favorite pooping spot in the back yard but had to brace myself with a few beers(I'm Irish, that's how we roll although this was more than my beer consumption in the previous year). I put down seven of those new Bud Lites in the blue bottles and when I came to an finished dry heaving, I found that my sister and my buddy had dug the hole. I got her off the couch in the garage, put her in the hole it and dumped the wheelbarrow and went back to sleep. When I came to again it was finished.

My heart is broken. We went fishing and there was a huge field, so she just ran and I didn't fish. When we got home, she chased after a chipmunk by the barn while my roommate was put his tackle away. I didn't want to get skunked, so went in the back yard to the brook. I got back about 45 minutes later and asked where she was when I got in the house and she wasn't there. Bill had seen her go out towards the corner of the yard and thought she was with me when he went in and I thought she was with him. I looked everywhere calling and whistling from about 5PM until it got dark and came home to change into running shoes to go back out with a flashlight and was just tying the second lace when the knock came on the back door. I think she was across the street the whole time but was asleep because she was bushed and she will just plunk down and crash after taking a dip in the river to cool down.

April 18th, 2012, 2:44 am #2

You should put a sign on the side of the road with a picture of your dog and a sign that say's how you feel about the c0#@&*$er that ran over and left.

In dog Heaven now for sure.

Take care brother.
JC

Sick 'em Hoff!!!

April 18th, 2012, 2:46 am #3

She was hit run over Sunday night by some heartless bastard who kept going. I can only hope whoever it was dies alone. I used to be on a quiet residential street until GPS. Now I see car zooming by at 50MPH all day because the GPS shows this as the shortest distance instead of taking RT 9n but they travel on Water St like they are still on 9N.
She was in shock when I got there but breathing. We got a board and called the vet and her breathing was raspy. I had her covered with a blanket in the back of a friend's pickup and about 1/2 way on the 6 mile trip to the vets, her pupils stopped reacting to the flashlight, so I started CPR until we got there but there was no rising of her chest and it felt like I was blowing bubbles. Her lungs must have been collapsed or full of blood. The vet confirmed what I already knew but was hoping against hope.
We wrapped her up in her blanket and set her like she was sleeping before rigor set in.

Yesterday, I had to bury her at sunrise in here favorite pooping spot in the back yard but had to brace myself with a few beers(I'm Irish, that's how we roll although this was more than my beer consumption in the previous year). I put down seven of those new Bud Lites in the blue bottles and when I came to an finished dry heaving, I found that my sister and my buddy had dug the hole. I got her off the couch in the garage, put her in the hole it and dumped the wheelbarrow and went back to sleep. When I came to again it was finished.

My heart is broken. We went fishing and there was a huge field, so she just ran and I didn't fish. When we got home, she chased after a chipmunk by the barn while my roommate was put his tackle away. I didn't want to get skunked, so went in the back yard to the brook. I got back about 45 minutes later and asked where she was when I got in the house and she wasn't there. Bill had seen her go out towards the corner of the yard and thought she was with me when he went in and I thought she was with him. I looked everywhere calling and whistling from about 5PM until it got dark and came home to change into running shoes to go back out with a flashlight and was just tying the second lace when the knock came on the back door. I think she was across the street the whole time but was asleep because she was bushed and she will just plunk down and crash after taking a dip in the river to cool down.

there's no words that I know that can make your heart not hurt all I can do is offer my prayers.
Last edited by voodoopig on April 18th, 2012, 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 18th, 2012, 2:50 am #4

Its nice to have them near even in death.

Spring is a good time to start a new dog. Don't wait too long. The work only gets harder.

April 18th, 2012, 2:51 am #5

Nothing can be said to ease the pain of premature loss of a close family member and friend.

April 18th, 2012, 3:01 am #6

And know little I can say will help much with the terrible loss of your fine friend.

On the 4th of April I lost my fine girl cat Allie of 17 years and buried her under my favorite pepper tree. She was due for a trimming, so I trimmed all her claws just before laying her to rest. I stop by her spot everyday for a bit, say a few words as I sit, and keep the flowers fresh...

She was a fine girl her whole life,
Sorry for your pain,
kind regards,
Paul
Last edited by seawater on April 18th, 2012, 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 18th, 2012, 3:05 am #7

My 14 yr old beagle died a few years ago and i cried like a baby. Had her put down due to sudden health problems. I drove through at least one red lights on the way home

April 18th, 2012, 3:07 am #8

<p>Sorry for your loss doesn't cut it.  I know.</p><p>Don't misdirect your anger.  It's not healthy.  </p><p>It's easy to say but hard to do but focus on all the good times.  Feel the thrill when you recollect those cherished moments.  Feel sorrow for those that will never have those memories with such a great companion.  </p><p>The depth of joy we enjoy with pets that give us unconditional Love is often paid with a depth of grief when they're gone.  We're blessed by this since it stretches our souls of experience but these words don't comfort you I know.</p><p>The only thought I can share with you is that the obvious love you had for Maddie obvious in your pictures is testimony to the depth of your character and it's bottomless ability to reciprocate that love and I understand your grief at this time is boundless as well.   Please don't let the hatred or grief of this experience take control of your life.   That is a path of destruction that Mattie wouldn't want.</p>

April 18th, 2012, 3:46 am #9

Curious, did you get a chance to see the tag of the vehicle? Also, does your state or local jurisdiction have a leash ordinance or containment (fence, etc.) laws? essentially, laws aimed at preventing "Dogs Running at Large".

Not to provoke anger, a few years back while riding with a friend, he hit a dog. Niether of us saw the dog until it was too late. We stopped, attempted to help - and got beat by the female owner (not really, but she kept smacking at us). In the end, we did not press charges. She lost her little companion, that was enough. However, the officer cited her for violating the leash ordinance (I wouldn't have, but he had to). My firend, the driver and owner of the vehicle, filed suit against the lady's property insurance. He did win his case, hence the police filing a citation. I felt that was rather low considering her loss.

Sorry for your loss. Dogs are like people, they are never replaced. Each has their own personality.

"The majority of things in our lives are created by folks no smarter than the rest. Afterall, the world is comprised, and operated by C average people intellctually, academically, and morally. These people are often the great pioneers that set the precedent for what excellence should be."

April 18th, 2012, 4:07 am #10

my condolences nt