RIP Earl

RIP Earl

March 29th, 2012, 12:51 pm #1

March 29th, 2012, 1:18 pm #2

I wondered if that's who you were going to tell us about when I opened the link. I still think of The Beverly Hillbillies most of all, and that was MANY decades ago. I sure bet Steve Martin is glad he got a chance to play some music with him.

Thanks for the music, Earl.

Happy Shooting!

Ed, The Airgun Tune-Meister

"We can rebuild the squirrel. Make him stronger, faster...We have the technology"---Skyler M.

March 29th, 2012, 1:27 pm #3

<p>He brought the Banjo to mainstream Country and Bluegrass and many stress out trying to replicate his style!</p><p>Here's a good read of his life achievments.</p><p>http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/03/28/ ... -dies.html</p><p>Doug S.</p>

March 29th, 2012, 2:12 pm #4

Lester can now play with Earl again RIP !!

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

March 29th, 2012, 3:25 pm #5

<p>He brought the Banjo to mainstream Country and Bluegrass and many stress out trying to replicate his style!</p><p>Here's a good read of his life achievments.</p><p>http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/03/28/ ... -dies.html</p><p>Doug S.</p>
Both the greatest in their idioms!

Halvorsen

March 29th, 2012, 3:25 pm #6

Last edited by tracer69 on March 29th, 2012, 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 29th, 2012, 4:09 pm #7

Banjo goes back quite a ways but Scruggs sort of brought it to the forefront. Yes, he can finally now play with Lester. I had the opportunity to share a few beers with Mr. Flatt after a show at the Birchmere in Alexandria, VA, whereupon I asked him if he was ever going to tour with Earl Scruggs again? He said, sadly, no. Mrs. Scruggs had demanded a price of about ten grand per show. Lots of Bluegrass is played in small venues like the Birchmere. I'm guessing there were maybe twenty small tables in the whole place. BTW, if you thought Scruggs was good on that banjo, you should have heard Flatts pick that madolin. He could even play it Les Paul style. Plus he was funny as h3ll.

March 29th, 2012, 8:25 pm #8

<p>Flatt and Scruggs broke off with Monroe and he never forgave them. It's said he kept them out of the Grand Ol' Oprey for quite awhile because of it!</p><p>Doug S.</p>

March 29th, 2012, 8:39 pm #9

Banjo goes back quite a ways but Scruggs sort of brought it to the forefront. Yes, he can finally now play with Lester. I had the opportunity to share a few beers with Mr. Flatt after a show at the Birchmere in Alexandria, VA, whereupon I asked him if he was ever going to tour with Earl Scruggs again? He said, sadly, no. Mrs. Scruggs had demanded a price of about ten grand per show. Lots of Bluegrass is played in small venues like the Birchmere. I'm guessing there were maybe twenty small tables in the whole place. BTW, if you thought Scruggs was good on that banjo, you should have heard Flatts pick that madolin. He could even play it Les Paul style. Plus he was funny as h3ll.
.....using a thumb pick and 2 slip-on finger picks.

Hal

March 30th, 2012, 12:14 am #10

on your right hand. That's what I was told.