Ringssssssssss or Valves?

Ringssssssssss or Valves?

April 11th, 2012, 1:47 am #1

Truck billows out a sssssssssssmall cloud of sssssssssssmoke every morning. It is now burning a qt or 2 of oil between Changes.

Rings? Valves? or both?

ssssSnake

April 11th, 2012, 1:59 am #2

blowing smoke, the rings are probably ok. Close to rebuild time.

Head Gopher and Assistant
Match Director Ashland Air Rifle Range
Ashland OR

Regards,

Mark Gravelle

April 11th, 2012, 2:16 am #3

Warm it up and check compression. If it's low, shoot a little oil in a cylinder and re-check, if it comes, up; it's rings, if not, it's probably valve seals. Last time I changed valve seals I did it by pressurizing each cylinder with compressed air via an adapter I made to replace the spark plug then removing the spring keeper, spring and seal, seat and new seal and replace the spring and keeper.

-Scot

April 11th, 2012, 2:17 am #4

blowing smoke, the rings are probably ok. Close to rebuild time.

Head Gopher and Assistant
Match Director Ashland Air Rifle Range
Ashland OR

Regards,

Mark Gravelle
then you put oil in each cylinder to see if the compression goes up ,if it does it is the......darn I forgot,damm did I kill too many brain cells...lets see it is the rings.

April 11th, 2012, 4:04 am #5

Truck billows out a sssssssssssmall cloud of sssssssssssmoke every morning. It is now burning a qt or 2 of oil between Changes.

Rings? Valves? or both?

ssssSnake
Its the valve seals or guides. If it's smoking during driving you need to have a compression check done.

"The Universe is comprised mainly of two things.. hydrogen and ignorance."
John Dobson
Inventor, astronomer and metaphysical thinker.

April 11th, 2012, 4:52 am #6

Rings? Valves? or both?

ssssSnake
in the AM. Not during idle or running.

Ideersssssssssss?

ssssSnake

PS - Just turned 200,000 miles
Last edited by ssssSnake on April 11th, 2012, 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 11th, 2012, 5:18 am #7

path for the oil to fall into the cyl. Before you do anything else, an easy check is driving down a long hill, letting the engine brake the vehicle. This creates a vacuum in the cyl and if its the stems/seals, oil will be sucked into the cyl and it will smoke when you re-accelerate...

April 11th, 2012, 9:22 am #8

Rings? Valves? or both?

ssssSnake
...so I did a top end on the motor. Cheap fix and no more cloud of smoke at start-up, but a few years later I ended up puting in a GM crate motor because compression went south on two cylinders. Motor & parts (everything attached to the engine was new, but not fancy) cost me ~$2500 plus $300 labor for a friend to help install it. That was in '99. Still running good when I sold it two months ago for $1000.

Had I not already spent two years and ~$4500 restoring the truck prior to the engine trouble, I wouldn't have dumped more $$$ into it. Never again.

April 11th, 2012, 12:20 pm #9

Rings? Valves? or both?

ssssSnake
worn valve/seals and possibly needs an engine flush my something like Marvel Mystery Oil. I've seen several engines with oil returns plugged up from deposits left by oils ( especially if you mix brands ) that looks almost like wax. Oil pools in the head drips down through the valve guides after the engine has set. Put in some mystery oil, run the engine till hot, then change the oil. If its still doing it after that, time for some work on the head/s

Know guns, Know peace, know liberty.
No guns, no peace no liberty.

HW3

April 11th, 2012, 10:15 pm #10

Rings? Valves? or both?

ssssSnake
The give away is the morning/evening cycle smoker's cough. If it had started in the late fall I'd be even more suspect ! ;^) What make ???