Results, Temecula Field Target Challenge, May 2012

Results, Temecula Field Target Challenge, May 2012

lhd

May 26th, 2012, 9:23 pm #1

So, the last of around a Dozen Annual Temecula Field Target Challenge Matches is over, the targets pulled, scores tallied, friends waved off as they drove back home.

We have shared some fine meals together, and shot a variety of airguns at a variety of targets from morning to night. We had campfire stories, sideshoots, gun repair sessions, selling, swapping, showing off, and a lot of joking and carrying on.

Speaking of the meals, most years I made some Carne Asada for day one, using my home recipe, and my wife Andrea normally serves up some home-made potato salad and often includes some bake beans and her "pink salad" dessert. On day two, we often have hamburgers, though this time we had ham and turkey, as well as more potato salad and beans with meatballs. Both days normally have some fuit, chips, dips, etc. The mornings often start out with bacon and eggs, and some juice, though this time we had a simple "Continental style" breakfast each day. I know most matches don't make much of a deal about the food, but second to the course design, I think the food is pretty important, esp when its not so easy to eat off-site.

Many have asked about my Carne Asada, so here's how I do it:
Get about a pound per person of the best flap meat you can find (similar to tri-tip, but more marbled), and slice it into inch wide by three to five inch long strips, going with the grain. Now make up a marinade: Make or buy some good Mexican style Salsa, and add in some sliced oranges, about one orange per 10 pounds of meat. Slice a very small onion in, and pour in a couple cans of beer. Shake in lots of of course ground black and red peppers, and add in a little bit of hot habanero sauce, just enough to heat a little, but not so much it might draw a sweat. Now marinate the meat overnight, and grill it on a fire, quickly near-blackening it on one side, then turning and doing the other side and getting it of when still tender and juicy inside, yet not too pink. Serve with tortillas and rice or potato salad or macaroni salad.

I've met some fine guys at these getogethers, and observed some really great shooting. Some of those guys have chipped in many hours of hard work to help me put it all together every year, one I recall fondly, "Uncle Howard" Montgomery, who couldn't actually shoot the match himself due to health conditions, yet made the long drives from Reno Nevada several times, just to hang out and chip in some by collecting fees and handling the scoreboard. Howard passed on a few years ago, but is remembered still.

There have been National champions shooting here, such as Dave Slade, Steve Shultz, Doug Miller, Leo Duran, Guy Omictin, and Jonathan Reyes. And there have been even State Champs, such as Bobby Corcorran, Steve Motgomery, Leo Wong, Wayne Burns, Dale Keiser, Ron Jobbes, Kevin Yee, Riz Marquez, Tommy Garland, Terry DePew, and yes, even I have won some State matches. Lots of others I fail to mention here, due to my flaky memory, so I hope they don't take offence.

There have quite a few airgun shooters that actually got their introduction to Field Target shooting here, difficult as it is, the test of fire didn't drive em all off! The combinations of up/downhill shots, with gusting winds from all directions were tempered by great company and good food, coupled with the soothing advice that no other matches would likely be so difficult.

This last match had near perfect weather, and wind was about normal, not light yet not blowing anyone off their feet (though on Friday afternoon, Wayne's tent DID blow out of its mooring near the lower garage, clearing a really large hill South of the water tank, and landing rightside up in the ravine about 180 yards from its original position.

I shot really well on Saturday, despite a throbbing hangover from lack of sleep and no lack of imported beer, getting the day's high score, and thus a target on my back. I think the winds were stronger the first day, but I actually felt pretty steady, despite being a bit bleary-eyed (perhaps from the campfire smoke). So on Saturday night, I decided to celebrate a bit, switching to red wine, rather than imported beer ... I should have known things weren't going great when everyone was beating me pretty soundly in the regular late-night bell target shooting. Dawn came WAY too early on Sunday.

Sunday was also a bit hotter, in fact I was sweating by 8:00 am as we ate breakfast! I squadded the shooters so as to put the guys with similar scores together, and after the squadding was done, tried to get a wee bit of sighting in time before the shoot began. I just couldn't get steady for the first few lanes, blowing shots I made easily the day before, perhaps it was the heat, perhaps it was due to a tiff I had with a guy I had squadded with us a when he suddenly made a fuss about wanting to "not waste any time, because he wanted to miss the traffic on the way home". Gee, I'm sure with THAT had come up BEFORE the squadding was all done and everyone had headed down the hill? Anyhow, he repeated it enough times so as to elicit a backlash from me and another bystander, and I think the incident affected my shooting at the onset .... anyhow, I did much worse than the first day. But its not all about me, and I know it.

Some of the other guys blossomed in the heat, turning in fine scores and showing they had it figgered out! By day's end, Bobby had shown his mettle, as did Larry Pirrone, while I managed to hang on in Hunter Class, and the match scores were on the board. BTW, speaking of the scoreboard, James Brinkley did a totally bang on job of drawing up that board, and to top it off bigtime, he donated the wonderful wooden rabbit trophies for the top finishers to go along with the traditional Temecula Champagne bottles.

With the help of virtually everyone, the targets were brought in and the course well-policed, and soon, folks were rumbling up my driveway for the long trek home. It was good while it lasted.

Here are the results for the Temecula Field Target Challenge.
Contestants are listed in order of their final score total.

------------------------------------------------------------
Open Class: Sat Sun total

Bobby Corcorran, Arizona 41 40 81

Kevin Yee, NorCal 38 38 76

Riz Marquez NorCal 36 39 75

Matt Kellerman SoCal 39 35 74

George Doganis San Diego 32 42 74

Waybe Burns Oregon 33 32 65

Ron Jobbes SoCal 28 33 61

Chris Lovitt Oregon 30 25 55

Dave Fredrick SoCal 29 25 54

Mark Gravelle Oregon 25 18 43

Eric Ailor San Diego 20 23 43

Roger Lovitt SoCal 31 na 31

Gerry Maragne San Diego 5 na 5

Hunter Class

Larry Durham Temecula 43 28 71

Jim Cyran Sacramento 26 41 67

Brad Stevenson Utah 35 28 63

Bruce Adamson SoCal 30 26 56

Jim Ziegler SoCal 22 30 52

Matt Lababedy Sacramento 36 0 36

Russ Holt Norcal 13 na 13

-------------------------------------------------------------
Spring Piston Class

Larry Pirrone SoCal 25 29 54

Leo Duran Texas 16 26 42

James Brinkley SoCal 24 17 41

Casey Robertson San Diego 12 12 24

Vince Pacheco SoCal 14 na 14

Andy Meng San Diego 6 na 6

by
LD
Last edited by lhd on May 27th, 2012, 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 26th, 2012, 10:54 pm #2

Sounds like a awesome event! I sure alot of the attendees are sadden it may be the last one. I know I am and I have never attended one. You guys should of put it in a DVD even if only a slideshow. Memories sure fade but a DVD if taken care of will last for generations or at least until the equipment that plays it is still available.

May 27th, 2012, 1:46 am #3

So, the last of around a Dozen Annual Temecula Field Target Challenge Matches is over, the targets pulled, scores tallied, friends waved off as they drove back home.

We have shared some fine meals together, and shot a variety of airguns at a variety of targets from morning to night. We had campfire stories, sideshoots, gun repair sessions, selling, swapping, showing off, and a lot of joking and carrying on.

Speaking of the meals, most years I made some Carne Asada for day one, using my home recipe, and my wife Andrea normally serves up some home-made potato salad and often includes some bake beans and her "pink salad" dessert. On day two, we often have hamburgers, though this time we had ham and turkey, as well as more potato salad and beans with meatballs. Both days normally have some fuit, chips, dips, etc. The mornings often start out with bacon and eggs, and some juice, though this time we had a simple "Continental style" breakfast each day. I know most matches don't make much of a deal about the food, but second to the course design, I think the food is pretty important, esp when its not so easy to eat off-site.

Get about a pound per person of the best flap meat you can find (similar to tri-tip, but more marbled), and slice it into inch wide by three to five inch long strips, going with the grain. Now make up a marinade: Make or buy some good Mexican style Salsa, and add in some sliced oranges, about one orange per 10 pounds of meat. Slice a very small onion in, and pour in a couple cans of beer. Shake in lots of of course ground black and red peppers, and add in a little bit of hot habanero sauce, just enough to heat a little, but not so much it might draw a sweat. Now marinate the meat overnight, and grill it on a fire, quickly near-blackening it on one side, then turning and doing the other side and getting it of when still tender and juicy inside, yet not too pink. Serve with tortillas and rice or potato salad or macaroni salad.

I've met some fine guys at these getogethers, and observed some really great shooting. Some of those guys have chipped in many hours of hard work to help me put it all together every year, one I recall fondly, "Uncle Howard" Montgomery, who couldn't actually shoot the match himself due to health conditions, yet made the long drives from Reno Nevada several times, just to hang out and chip in some by collecting fees and handling the scoreboard. Howard passed on a few years ago, but is remembered still.

There have been National champions shooting here, such as Dave Slade, Steve Shultz, Doug Miller, Leo Duran, Guy Omictin, and Jonathan Reyes. And there have been even State Champs, such as Bobby Corcorran, Steve Motgomery, Leo Wong, Wayne Burns, Dale Keiser, Ron Jobbes, Kevin Yee, Riz Marquez, Tommy Garland, Terry DePew, and yes, even I have won some State matches. Lots of others I fail to mention here, due to my flaky memory, so I hope they don't take offence.

There have quite a few airgun shooters that actually got their introduction to Field Target shooting here, difficult as it is, the test of fire didn't drive em all off! The combinations of up/downhill shots, with gusting winds from all directions were tempered by great company and good food, coupled with the soothing advice that no other matches would likely be so difficult.

This last match had near perfect weather, and wind was about normal, not light yet not blowing anyone off their feet (though on Friday afternoon, Wayne's tent DID blow out of its mooring near the lower garage, clearing a really large hill South of the water tank, and landing rightside up in the ravine about 180 yards from its original position.

I shot really well on Saturday, despite a throbbing hangover from lack of sleep and no lack of imported beer, getting the day's high score, and thus a target on my back. I think the winds were stronger the first day, but I actually felt pretty steady, despite being a bit bleary-eyed (perhaps from the campfire smoke). So on Saturday night, I decided to celebrate a bit, switching to red wine, rather than imported beer ... I should have known things weren't going great when everyone was beating me pretty soundly in the regular late-night bell target shooting. Dawn came WAY too early on Sunday.

Sunday was also a bit hotter, in fact I was sweating by 8:00 am as we ate breakfast! I squadded the shooters so as to put the guys with similar scores together, and after the squadding was done, tried to get a wee bit of sighting in time before the shoot began. I just couldn't get steady for the first few lanes, blowing shots I made easily the day before, perhaps it was the heat, perhaps it was due to a tiff I had with a guy I had squadded with us a when he suddenly made a fuss about wanting to "not waste any time, because he wanted to miss the traffic on the way home". Gee, I'm sure with THAT had come up BEFORE the squadding was all done and everyone had headed down the hill? Anyhow, he repeated it enough times so as to elicit a backlash from me and another bystander, and I think the incident affected my shooting at the onset .... anyhow, I did much worse than the first day. But its not all about me, and I know it.

Some of the other guys blossomed in the heat, turning in fine scores and showing they had it figgered out! By day's end, Bobby had shown his mettle, as did Larry Pirrone, while I managed to hang on in Hunter Class, and the match scores were on the board. BTW, speaking of the scoreboard, James Brinkley did a totally bang on job of drawing up that board, and to top it off bigtime, he donated the wonderful wooden rabbit trophies for the top finishers to go along with the traditional Temecula Champagne bottles.

With the help of virtually everyone, the targets were brought in and the course well-policed, and soon, folks were rumbling up my driveway for the long trek home. It was good while it lasted.

Hunter Class

Spring Piston Class

Leo Duran Texas 16 26 42

by
LD
...especially reminiscing about past shoots the folks that traveled to shoot at your place.

I can say that I am fortunate to have participated in two of your matches and saddened that I could not attend more. As it turned out, I worked the whole weekend of your match and am working this entire weekend, including Monday, again. It is just the nature of the beast and I am lucky to be working.

Your matches will be missed, but will be talked about for years to come. I am sure the tales that are told will get taller and taller as time goes on. The 60 yard terrorist/tourist target will end up being shot at 120 yards with a 3/8" kill zone in 45 mph winds, etc. It'll make for more than a few raised eyebrows and knowing smiles.

LD, you are fortunate to have that wonderful lady, Andrea for a wife. She makes the best potato salad.

Best regards,
Mark

May 27th, 2012, 2:46 am #4

Hunter Class

Spring Piston Class

Leo Duran Texas 16 26 42

by
LD
grateful for all the free advice and gun tunning on trade you do for me. You really CAN host an event to top all field target events! HANDS DOWN!!

Opening your home and wonderful land for these events has been an incredible gift. THANK YOU soooo much too to Andrea & your daughter for slaving so hard on meals and cleaning up after us slobs!!

See ya end of June up north here in Grants Pass for the Western States Larry! It'll be a "sissy" match compared to yours:-)... so you need to turn your scope down to 6 power to be fair with us mere mortals..

Wacky Wayne

May 27th, 2012, 6:11 am #5

Hunter Class

Spring Piston Class

Leo Duran Texas 16 26 42

by
LD
<p>very insightful, as always. I really like the "post" rule; more like English HFT to dictate shooting style and position. Had to be a great match!!!</p><p>RicG</p>
Last edited by wheelsroller on May 27th, 2012, 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 27th, 2012, 2:57 pm #6

grateful for all the free advice and gun tunning on trade you do for me. You really CAN host an event to top all field target events! HANDS DOWN!!

Opening your home and wonderful land for these events has been an incredible gift. THANK YOU soooo much too to Andrea & your daughter for slaving so hard on meals and cleaning up after us slobs!!

See ya end of June up north here in Grants Pass for the Western States Larry! It'll be a "sissy" match compared to yours:-)... so you need to turn your scope down to 6 power to be fair with us mere mortals..

Wacky Wayne
Thank you, Andrea and your daughter for your effort in holding this incredible event. Opening up your home to the "horde of mongels" that decend on you each year is an amazing act of giving back to the sport. Just the opportunity to enter "LD's" world for a couple of days is worth the time and expense of of the trip. Wandering around your garage is like taking a trip back through the past 25 years of airgun history.

Somehow we will figure out a way to continue the tradition you have started.

Thanks again,
Jim in Sacramento