replacement B40 spring & maintenance questions

replacement B40 spring & maintenance questions

August 5th, 2010, 4:21 pm #1

My main spring broke so I started doing a little research trying to finding a replacement. I searched the forums but couldn't find answers for some of my questions.

Does the factory main spring come on other rifles? It would be nice knowing that those spring are still being made and imported. I know mike over at bestairgun has the springs listed on his website but i'm worried about finding a replacement when he runs out.

Does a JM springs require custom fitted guides and top hat for them to work in the b40? Some post say you need them and some say you don't. I check their website and it doesn't list any drop in springs or kits for the b40. It just says that some of their springs may work. How long do those JM springs last?

With tighter fitting guides, like the ones that come in the vortek kits, will those guides become a wear item like the spring and need to be replaced? If so how long should they last? Anyone break a vortek spring yet? How long did it last?

My gun only had about 2500 rounds thru it before the spring broke. I know that the piston seal is another wear item on the gun and it needs to be replaced every once in a while. How often should it be replaced? This is my first air rifle so I have no idea what a worn or burnt seal should look like. I dont have access to a chronograph so I cant tell if velocity is lower than it should be.

Any info would be great thanks

Dave

August 5th, 2010, 4:37 pm #2

I have about five factory spring and a couple Macarri R6 springs laying in my shop. Let me know if you need one. John

August 5th, 2010, 6:55 pm #3

My main spring broke so I started doing a little research trying to finding a replacement. I searched the forums but couldn't find answers for some of my questions.

Does the factory main spring come on other rifles? It would be nice knowing that those spring are still being made and imported. I know mike over at bestairgun has the springs listed on his website but i'm worried about finding a replacement when he runs out.

Does a JM springs require custom fitted guides and top hat for them to work in the b40? Some post say you need them and some say you don't. I check their website and it doesn't list any drop in springs or kits for the b40. It just says that some of their springs may work. How long do those JM springs last?

With tighter fitting guides, like the ones that come in the vortek kits, will those guides become a wear item like the spring and need to be replaced? If so how long should they last? Anyone break a vortek spring yet? How long did it last?

My gun only had about 2500 rounds thru it before the spring broke. I know that the piston seal is another wear item on the gun and it needs to be replaced every once in a while. How often should it be replaced? This is my first air rifle so I have no idea what a worn or burnt seal should look like. I dont have access to a chronograph so I cant tell if velocity is lower than it should be.

Any info would be great thanks

Dave
It's shooting 7.9's at 960 and 8.4's at 925 (yesterday), and that's with the original seal. I just put my stock TX spring and guide in the B-40 and I think I'll put a Vortek in that one also. Keep in mind that with the Vortek setup, you are removing the front guide which removes mass (weight). The springs are designed such as to compensate for the lighter weight piston and achieve factory energy. Do the springs have to work more? Do they incur more stress? Heck if I know but the results they've given to me are good. I expect to get the same quality spring in my next kits, which, in the two I already have, has been phenomenal.Judging by the post down the page a bit, it looks like John in PA or Rich in Mich might be good to bounce your B-40 questions off of.

August 5th, 2010, 8:01 pm #4

I have about five factory spring and a couple Macarri R6 springs laying in my shop. Let me know if you need one. John
Thanks John are those R6 springs the same as the Ultra-XLD springs listed on www.airrifleheadquarters.com? Are they just drop in or do i need to get a custom guide made? What are the advantages and disadvantages in using a R6 spring over the factory spring? I though my b40 with factory spring was already smooth and quiet but i have nothing to compare it to since this is my first spring gun.

August 5th, 2010, 8:18 pm #5

It's shooting 7.9's at 960 and 8.4's at 925 (yesterday), and that's with the original seal. I just put my stock TX spring and guide in the B-40 and I think I'll put a Vortek in that one also. Keep in mind that with the Vortek setup, you are removing the front guide which removes mass (weight). The springs are designed such as to compensate for the lighter weight piston and achieve factory energy. Do the springs have to work more? Do they incur more stress? Heck if I know but the results they've given to me are good. I expect to get the same quality spring in my next kits, which, in the two I already have, has been phenomenal.Judging by the post down the page a bit, it looks like John in PA or Rich in Mich might be good to bounce your B-40 questions off of.
Any ideas if the guides are reusable after a spring breaks? I know vortek sells replacement springs for their kits just don't know how many times you can reuse the guides. Figured a spring breaking would damage those plastic looking guides. It would suck having to buy new kit every time the spring breaks.

August 5th, 2010, 8:49 pm #6

I would imagine you're correct that a guide could be damaged to a point that you couldn't reuse it. I would think that you would have to cycle it quite a few times with a broken spring to cause that to happen. Shoot Tom Gore an email and pose that question to him. I have absolutely no concerns about one of his springs breaking, but maybe that's just hopeful thinking.
Last edited by jlucas50 on August 5th, 2010, 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 5th, 2010, 10:52 pm #7

Any ideas if the guides are reusable after a spring breaks? I know vortek sells replacement springs for their kits just don't know how many times you can reuse the guides. Figured a spring breaking would damage those plastic looking guides. It would suck having to buy new kit every time the spring breaks.
My PG2e spring fatigued but did not break, so Tom is sending me a replacement spring. Not sure what happened, but I had all the weight and spacers at the top as I don't get much power up here on top of the mountain. Tom is a good guy I might think he would replace any part of the kit that was damaged due to failure.

August 6th, 2010, 5:06 am #8

I would imagine you're correct that a guide could be damaged to a point that you couldn't reuse it. I would think that you would have to cycle it quite a few times with a broken spring to cause that to happen. Shoot Tom Gore an email and pose that question to him. I have absolutely no concerns about one of his springs breaking, but maybe that's just hopeful thinking.
I have two JM springs that made 100fps less than the Quest 1000 spring I removed.
Guess which spring is in there now?

His answer to me? too much lube.

August 6th, 2010, 1:45 pm #9

I've probably just been lucky. My aftermarket springs have functioned right to spec, but then again, I'm usually attempting to tune down rather than up.

August 6th, 2010, 1:56 pm #10

it actually kinda burns me when the advert is increased power and when installed gives up 100fps to a Chinese spring and teh expalnation is 'too much lube'

how does that work? same gun, smae seal, same lube, same pellet and lose 100 fps.. 20% loss of power.

that don't make any sense.

oh well. that Chinese spring will have to do

Walter....