Regulator anomaly figured out...

Regulator anomaly figured out...

May 4th, 2012, 5:59 pm #1

Corrected a previous post where I stated that Ninja was spoken to. I meant to say "Guerilla". At any rate, spoke with Nate at Ninja today. Nate confirmed my findings!

Sure enough, the less the bottle is from fully being seated, the pressure WILL be less, as the the pin is being depressed less. He also confirmed that the shim kits used to position the bottle arangement will also lower the pressure, as the shims prevent the bottle from fully seating.

The only way around this is to have an overly long depressing nipple in the fitting in which the bottle threads in to. All Ninja gear and components are built to ASTM standards, even the little nipple has a standard on length.

Problem solved.

Now, an FYI for those bottle runners out there. Shim kits will lower the final output pressure.

"The majority of things in our lives are created by folks no smarter than the rest. Afterall, the world is comprised, and operated by C average people intellctually, academically, and morally. These people are often the great pioneers that set the precedent for what excellence should be."

May 4th, 2012, 6:43 pm #2

The only way to affect pressure on a reg is to change the spring pack.
If I understand you correctly the pin you mention is the pin valve actuator. All it does is open the outlet check valve and has zero to do with regulator output pressure.
walter....

May 4th, 2012, 6:43 pm #3

Corrected a previous post where I stated that Ninja was spoken to. I meant to say "Guerilla". At any rate, spoke with Nate at Ninja today. Nate confirmed my findings!

Sure enough, the less the bottle is from fully being seated, the pressure WILL be less, as the the pin is being depressed less. He also confirmed that the shim kits used to position the bottle arangement will also lower the pressure, as the shims prevent the bottle from fully seating.

The only way around this is to have an overly long depressing nipple in the fitting in which the bottle threads in to. All Ninja gear and components are built to ASTM standards, even the little nipple has a standard on length.

Problem solved.

Now, an FYI for those bottle runners out there. Shim kits will lower the final output pressure.

"The majority of things in our lives are created by folks no smarter than the rest. Afterall, the world is comprised, and operated by C average people intellctually, academically, and morally. These people are often the great pioneers that set the precedent for what excellence should be."
I would have thought a pin valve would be open or closed. not spring operated and pressure regulated.

That would be like a fill valve on a PCP that only leaks down to some pressure, then stops leaking... (a regulator)

Odd.

I suppose one would need to see how the valve were constructed, then the operation would be clear.

cheers
Last edited by CalG on May 4th, 2012, 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 4th, 2012, 6:50 pm #4

Problem solved.

I know for paintball, Ninja has a new reg call the Pro. The Ninja Pro Reg lets you rotate the bottle once its completely on the paintball marker. It lets you rotate the bottom half of the Reg so the gauge can be at any position you would like. Once at the position you like, you can lock it down with the set screws on the reg. Also with this new Reg, the fill nipple is at the opposite side of the gauge as to their regular Regs the fill nipple was at 90* to the gauge. These Pro Regs are adjustable as for pressure with the removal/addition of 1-4 shims but any regulator is of you know what you're doing.

I've talk to Ray from Ninja here and there at paintball events. I think if you call them ask for the certain output pressure for their regulators its $20 more.

They also have Pro SHP(super high pressure) reg but the output is only 1100psi.

There's no info on these new regulators on Ninja's site yet but they are out on the market.

Hope this info helps. Here's a youtube video to show what the reg does.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CD5nQn-yAA I have one of these for paintball but haven't used it yet.

May 4th, 2012, 6:52 pm #5

If I understand you correctly the pin you mention is the pin valve actuator. All it does is open the outlet check valve and has zero to do with regulator output pressure.
walter....
Ninja Adjusting Clips

http://www.ninjapaintball.com/productDe ... ctID_E_122

May 4th, 2012, 7:03 pm #6

walter....
This is quite unexpected. Sure would be nice to see a drawing of the regulator, somehow the thread-on depth affects the spring pre-load. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have designed it like that.....

-Scot

May 4th, 2012, 7:18 pm #7

pinvalve and shimming to orient the 'tank' is a completely different issue

May 4th, 2012, 7:22 pm #8

walter....
If the pin, actuator, is not depressed fully, the output pressure will drop.

I'm not using shims, but was an observation I found to be true while checking my various reg pressures.

May 4th, 2012, 7:23 pm #9

I know for paintball, Ninja has a new reg call the Pro. The Ninja Pro Reg lets you rotate the bottle once its completely on the paintball marker. It lets you rotate the bottom half of the Reg so the gauge can be at any position you would like. Once at the position you like, you can lock it down with the set screws on the reg. Also with this new Reg, the fill nipple is at the opposite side of the gauge as to their regular Regs the fill nipple was at 90* to the gauge. These Pro Regs are adjustable as for pressure with the removal/addition of 1-4 shims but any regulator is of you know what you're doing.

I've talk to Ray from Ninja here and there at paintball events. I think if you call them ask for the certain output pressure for their regulators its $20 more.

They also have Pro SHP(super high pressure) reg but the output is only 1100psi.

There's no info on these new regulators on Ninja's site yet but they are out on the market.

Hope this info helps. Here's a youtube video to show what the reg does.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CD5nQn-yAA I have one of these for paintball but haven't used it yet.
To prevent the pressure drop while using tank shims/clips.

Edit: The given reg prevent the use of shims, thus prevents output pressure drop.

Last edited by Duane30 on May 4th, 2012, 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 4th, 2012, 7:25 pm #10

If the pin, actuator, is not depressed fully, the output pressure will drop.

I'm not using shims, but was an observation I found to be true while checking my various reg pressures.

you were misunderstood by Ninja most likely