Rear focus parallax adj vs Side focus...

Rear focus parallax adj vs Side focus...

June 18th, 2012, 1:53 am #1

Probably going to buy a SWFA SS 10x42 as opposed to the Hawke Sidewinder Tac 30 10x42mm. I'm interested to hear from folks that have tried both of these scopes and what you prefer. I can get SS for about 300 with rear focus. This brings up another issue. I've never used a scope with rear focus parallax adjustment and it seems like it'd be a pretty good thing, as side focus you sometimes still have to get off target to focus if the rifle is heavy. The main reason I ask this is there is about a $100 price diff between **** with side focus over the rear focus. At this point I'm trying to decide bewtween 3 scopes...

1) 10x42 SS with rear focus - $300
2) 10x42 SS with side focus - $400
3) Hawke 10x42 side focus - $360 or so

I've heard some things about hawkes getting blurry. The SS seems to be a well balanced scope. The scope is going on a Huntsman XL so I have no concern of airgun ratings. Looking forward to yall's opinons and thoughts.

Semper Fi,
Derek

June 18th, 2012, 2:19 am #2

I am cuurently in the process of changing all my front adjustable objectives, to side adjustable objectives. You are refering to rear focusing, but I think you might be refering to the front focusing objectives. With a side wheel, and side whell attachment, I never loose sight picture, support hand still able to support the rifle while on target, with my thumb adjusting the side wheel. With a front focus, mt entire support hand has to be removed from the forearm, and the twisting motion of left to right to focus the front objective makes it difficult to stay on target.

So, my reasons for transitioning my front AO scopes seem to differ from your reasoning. You should also look at the Hawke Eclipse 80 SF IR, it is affordable, has nice clear optics, and has a side wheel focus, it's adjustable magnification, and although you mentioned a fix powered 10x magnification, you can adjust the magnification on the Eclipse to 10X, than set it, and forget it!! Here's a link to the Eclipse 30 SF:

http://www.hawkeoptics.com/rifle-scopes ... 30-sf.html

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Hawke_Spo ... _Tube/2548

June 18th, 2012, 2:27 am #3

Probably going to buy a SWFA SS 10x42 as opposed to the Hawke Sidewinder Tac 30 10x42mm. I'm interested to hear from folks that have tried both of these scopes and what you prefer. I can get SS for about 300 with rear focus. This brings up another issue. I've never used a scope with rear focus parallax adjustment and it seems like it'd be a pretty good thing, as side focus you sometimes still have to get off target to focus if the rifle is heavy. The main reason I ask this is there is about a $100 price diff between **** with side focus over the rear focus. At this point I'm trying to decide bewtween 3 scopes...

I've heard some things about hawkes getting blurry. The SS seems to be a well balanced scope. The scope is going on a Huntsman XL so I have no concern of airgun ratings. Looking forward to yall's opinons and thoughts.

Semper Fi,
Derek
Look very interesting to me. I was actually thinking of getting the fixed 16 or 20 power MRAD scope myself. If you happen to go with the SWFA scope be sure to post your thoughts on it.

June 18th, 2012, 2:49 am #4

Semper Fi,
Derek
I originally thought you were referring to Swift Scopes. My close friend has the SWFA SS 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope, and I was truly inpressed, it was the first rear focus scope I had ever had the opportunity to use, it is mounted on his Airwolf, and is a dream to use, I definitely noticed it was easy to focus on target, even though the first few hours I was shooting with it, I kept reaching for the side focus with my left (support) hand, I finally adapted to using my right hand to adjust the rear focus, and I was pleasantly surprised, two totally different animals here.

June 18th, 2012, 2:57 am #5

Was the focus ring stiff at all? NT

June 18th, 2012, 3:21 am #6

Semper Fi,
Derek
impressed with their optics. I guess coming from a photographic background has me spoilt. A great 10x42 rear focus scope is the Sightron SIII 10x42MMD. The glass in this scope is unbelievable. It costs a bit more than the SWFA SS 10x42 but quality has no regrets.

It is my first experience with a rear focus scope and I am loving it. Here is a link to an awesome review:http://www.gunmart.net/accessories_revi ... 10x42_mmd/

Cheers!

Life is short...slow down and enjoy
http://www.activevacuums.com

June 18th, 2012, 3:32 am #7

Donovan I looked at the Sightron as well, but I read a very interesting indepth article comparing the two (SS and sightron) The author was very Sightron biased, but said the SS outclassed it in clarity and ease of adjustment. It seems the variable power S3s were better than the fixed power which was said to be less than expected. It seems everyone is loving the rear focus adjustment, so I see no reason to pay another $100 for the side focus version. It seems this will be the choice. Hopefully it works out good enough as I might buy another for my Remy 700 .308. For the time being this scope will go on a Huntsman. I thought about getting the 16x but most of the time that's too much for my eyes. So the way begins, I'm probably a week off from buying the scope, Huntsman is already on order...we'll see how long the .20 cal takes to get state side. Really looking forward to it. Expect a video review of the gun and scope when it's all together. Thanks again fellas, yall made my decision easier. Stay easy.

Semper Fi,
Derek

June 18th, 2012, 3:52 am #8

focusing was pretty smooth with very little effort

June 18th, 2012, 3:57 am #9

Donovan I looked at the Sightron as well, but I read a very interesting indepth article comparing the two (SS and sightron) The author was very Sightron biased, but said the SS outclassed it in clarity and ease of adjustment. It seems the variable power S3s were better than the fixed power which was said to be less than expected. It seems everyone is loving the rear focus adjustment, so I see no reason to pay another $100 for the side focus version. It seems this will be the choice. Hopefully it works out good enough as I might buy another for my Remy 700 .308. For the time being this scope will go on a Huntsman. I thought about getting the 16x but most of the time that's too much for my eyes. So the way begins, I'm probably a week off from buying the scope, Huntsman is already on order...we'll see how long the .20 cal takes to get state side. Really looking forward to it. Expect a video review of the gun and scope when it's all together. Thanks again fellas, yall made my decision easier. Stay easy.

Semper Fi,
Derek
I've looked through both and find it hard to believe that someone chooses a SWFA SS over a Sightron III 10x42MMD.  Even a novice could see a difference in medium light at short distance.   I'm not looking to discredit a reviewer but moreso suggesting that you look through both rather than rely on a questionable reviewer.  kind regards.

June 18th, 2012, 4:04 am #10

Semper Fi,
Derek
I'm thinking 12x might be too much in my face. Most mil dots are only true at 10x as well meaning it'd be using to plot trajectories with the 10x without shooting every single range. Not sure though, what's yalls thoughts? Rifle will be used for primarily hunting.
Last edited by Stealth_Warrior on June 18th, 2012, 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.