Really Steamed!

Really Steamed!

August 2nd, 2012, 6:06 pm #1

I am really mad at Umarex German manufacturing's lack of quality control.

I just got a Walther Lever Action. It's a beautiful, feather-light rifle, and I love the lever action, even though you can't keep on target while using it.

But it is shooting 3" groups or (usually) worse at 25 yards, with a variety of pellets. It's on it's way back to Umarex now. (The seller gave me no support, just said, "Umarex will handle it.") I intend to raise a fuss if I have to, to get reimbursed for shipping the rifle to and from repair.

Tell me if I'm being unreasonable...seems to me a $400 gun should be tested before shipping to a dealer, and this problem should have been caught at the factory. Yes? No? (The carton showed absolutely no sign of rough handling.)

I feel better just sharing this with you all, but I'm still mad!

August 2nd, 2012, 6:29 pm #2

If I was in your shoes, I would be mad too.

August 2nd, 2012, 6:38 pm #3

I just got a Walther Lever Action. It's a beautiful, feather-light rifle, and I love the lever action, even though you can't keep on target while using it.

But it is shooting 3" groups or (usually) worse at 25 yards, with a variety of pellets. It's on it's way back to Umarex now. (The seller gave me no support, just said, "Umarex will handle it.") I intend to raise a fuss if I have to, to get reimbursed for shipping the rifle to and from repair.

Tell me if I'm being unreasonable...seems to me a $400 gun should be tested before shipping to a dealer, and this problem should have been caught at the factory. Yes? No? (The carton showed absolutely no sign of rough handling.)

Really...think about it. Unless we're talking extremely high end gear quality control amounts to spot checks on the assembly line.
Your ticked because of a faulty $400 rifle. How about $2000 camera bodies....they pull about 1 our of every 100 off the line to spot check them.
Between all the guns Umarex makes...which likely is hundreds per day...can you imagine setting up and firing every one and then cleaning them up afterwords?
You'd wait months to get one...and then wouldn't like the price.
Walk into any guns shop and look at all the powderburners...and it's obvious not one of them has been fired.
Last edited by bobtodrick on August 2nd, 2012, 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 2nd, 2012, 6:38 pm #4

Just make sure they realize, and I am sure you told them that when you get it back you expect something allot better down range on your target, and let them know if it does not happen it will go back to them again!

August 2nd, 2012, 6:54 pm #5

Heck, The three $10 TS-45's do better than that off hand;-)

August 2nd, 2012, 7:16 pm #6

Really...think about it. Unless we're talking extremely high end gear quality control amounts to spot checks on the assembly line.
Your ticked because of a faulty $400 rifle. How about $2000 camera bodies....they pull about 1 our of every 100 off the line to spot check them.
Between all the guns Umarex makes...which likely is hundreds per day...can you imagine setting up and firing every one and then cleaning them up afterwords?
You'd wait months to get one...and then wouldn't like the price.
Walk into any guns shop and look at all the powderburners...and it's obvious not one of them has been fired.
as most are indeed test fired for function

reason being is there is much that can go wrong
nearly all European manufactured powderburners are required by law to be proof tested meaning fired prior to distribution, even muzzle loaders...
while we in the States are under no such legal mandate most of our well known domestic arms firms do continue to factory test fire higher power arms just as they have since the 19th century and before

over my years in the trade I have met a number of folks who worked for S&W, Colt, Winchester, ect whose job was endlessly testing guns before they left the factory
some cases it was just 3 rounds, other cases a couple full mags worth
Glock for example test fires each handgun...knew a guy who was getting the brass scrap years ago until the company quit selling it for use by reloading firms...now I believe they run it through a furnace but thats just one example
trust me, most guns you see new in the gun shop have been previously fired before they ever left the factory.

ammo is tested in lots as you mentioned regarding cameras

August 2nd, 2012, 7:46 pm #7

When I look at any of the Umarex products accuracy is not a quality that comes to mind. What comes to mind is novelty, which in my mind equates to poor accuracy. For 400 bucks your getting a $100 gun, $200 of novelty and $100 of the Walther brand name.

In the accuracy department it dosen't have much going for it-CO 2 cartridges, lever action, iron sights or uhhm, are they plastic sights? I doubt you will be very happy with it repaired or replaced. It's a novelty plinker gun with can shooting accuracy.

August 2nd, 2012, 8:40 pm #8

nearly all European manufactured powderburners are required by law to be proof tested meaning fired prior to distribution, even muzzle loaders...
while we in the States are under no such legal mandate most of our well known domestic arms firms do continue to factory test fire higher power arms just as they have since the 19th century and before

over my years in the trade I have met a number of folks who worked for S&W, Colt, Winchester, ect whose job was endlessly testing guns before they left the factory
Glock for example test fires each handgun...knew a guy who was getting the brass scrap years ago until the company quit selling it for use by reloading firms...now I believe they run it through a furnace but thats just one example
trust me, most guns you see new in the gun shop have been previously fired before they ever left the factory.

I am fairly sure Umarex checks lever action and trigger assy checks as a matter of course during assembly.

"The Universe is comprised mainly of two things.. hydrogen and ignorance."
John Dobson
Inventor, astronomer and metaphysical thinker.

August 2nd, 2012, 8:59 pm #9

I was told however by my dealer (who is reputable), when I asked if the Marlin and Savage rimfires I purchased this spring were testfired (their have been a lot of QC issues with Marlin a year or so ago)...'no way, very unlikely'.
Not saying you're wrong (I hope you're right in fact)...but he seemed to know what he was talking about as well.

August 2nd, 2012, 9:58 pm #10

from a lever action co2 repeater in that price range.

You may get lucky, and get better accuracy with the next one..and it may be worse.

How many different varieties of pellets did you try? My experience with repeaters has been that they tend to be even more pellet fussy than single shot bolt action airguns. In general(and there are many exceptions)a dome or semi point will load with less damage than wadcutters, and harder(crosman) pellets will often be more accurate than softer ones.Lead ball is also worth a try.