REAL LIFE test at sub 12 fpe with a springer

REAL LIFE test at sub 12 fpe with a springer

October 11th, 2010, 5:42 pm #1

well, i got my chance for a real life test using the Vortek's latest kit in my TX 200 mk III. this kit is very smooth and can be taken down to way below 12 fpe depending on how you set it up. i had it set up with the longer tophat but with no additional spacing. it gave me about 818 fps with 7.9 JSB Express. thats around 11.7 fpe.Every gun is going to respond slightly different depending on the compression tube and seal tightness. I am using a Maccari Tesla seal, left unsized at approx .995".

this is a smooth shooting settup and it makes follow through very easy and it does not jump off target. i can watch the paddle go down.

i shot a score that matches my personal best at higher velocity (38/44) but the conditions were as mild as any if have shot so not the best test. there was vertually no wind. course was set to be reasonable for a springer but we had a 3/8 at around 20 yds and a couple of small KZ at longer ranges as well to challenge others. I managed the 3/8" kz on both shots as did my shooting partner ,Matt Saenz using a tx at the same fpe with a Vortek 12 fpe kit.Our longest target ranged for me at 53 yds. the gun had no trouble knocking it down twice.

I am somewhat intrigued by the lower power shooting. Kevin Yee did very well at 10 fpe and although i don't see myself in his league i may go down that far just to see what its like to shoot a gun with practically no discernable recoil. It will be easy to adjust to that power using the Vortek Kit.

I am also conidering experimenting with the JSB 7.3 pellets at these lower power levels for the slighly flatter trajectory. Not sure about the longer ranges though and anyone who has feedback with these pellets i would like to hear it.I remember an earlier discussion started by Wayne.

October 11th, 2010, 7:21 pm #2

October 11th, 2010, 7:21 pm #3

well, i got my chance for a real life test using the Vortek's latest kit in my TX 200 mk III. this kit is very smooth and can be taken down to way below 12 fpe depending on how you set it up. i had it set up with the longer tophat but with no additional spacing. it gave me about 818 fps with 7.9 JSB Express. thats around 11.7 fpe.Every gun is going to respond slightly different depending on the compression tube and seal tightness. I am using a Maccari Tesla seal, left unsized at approx .995".

this is a smooth shooting settup and it makes follow through very easy and it does not jump off target. i can watch the paddle go down.

i shot a score that matches my personal best at higher velocity (38/44) but the conditions were as mild as any if have shot so not the best test. there was vertually no wind. course was set to be reasonable for a springer but we had a 3/8 at around 20 yds and a couple of small KZ at longer ranges as well to challenge others. I managed the 3/8" kz on both shots as did my shooting partner ,Matt Saenz using a tx at the same fpe with a Vortek 12 fpe kit.Our longest target ranged for me at 53 yds. the gun had no trouble knocking it down twice.

I am somewhat intrigued by the lower power shooting. Kevin Yee did very well at 10 fpe and although i don't see myself in his league i may go down that far just to see what its like to shoot a gun with practically no discernable recoil. It will be easy to adjust to that power using the Vortek Kit.

I am also conidering experimenting with the JSB 7.3 pellets at these lower power levels for the slighly flatter trajectory. Not sure about the longer ranges though and anyone who has feedback with these pellets i would like to hear it.I remember an earlier discussion started by Wayne.
Last edited by HookEm on October 11th, 2010, 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 11th, 2010, 11:29 pm #4

I have taken mine in and out and played with it but I really do not know what it is doing until I run it over the crony. I am glad to hear your are like yours at 12 lbs.

lhd

October 12th, 2010, 3:16 am #5

Those conditions only occur about once every ten years there ... its why I did so good I'm sure.

October 12th, 2010, 4:14 am #6

most of my guns started out at ~13fpe then settle in at about 12. A few years ago one of my tx's was at ~10fpe but i've since bumped it up. While smoother to shoot I never felt real comfortable with shooting at targets that i might not have enough power to knock over. imo the trade-offs weren't worth it. 12-13fpe for a spring gun is pretty hard to beat. Its smooth and has enough uumph to knock over most targets at other clubs.

FWIW A gun/shooter may be happier at a energy level even if its a little rougher. I once shot another's tx at 16fpe which was real easy to control; Lead adds a whole lot of stability.

k

Also 10fpe in the wind is a joy; be careful what you wish for.

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td></td></tr></table>
http://www.diablofieldtarget.org

October 12th, 2010, 5:05 am #7

and yes, its ridiculously smooth shooting and near recoiless. Softer shooting than my tuned R7(.20) which is pretty buttery!!! Can't imagine it in the wind though, glad the variable power Vortek kit got me right under 12fpe!!!

Regards,

Tony

October 12th, 2010, 1:03 pm #8

Those conditions only occur about once every ten years there ... its why I did so good I'm sure.
there its the first windless day i can remember. maybe "real life" will be out at Angeles.

October 12th, 2010, 1:06 pm #9

most of my guns started out at ~13fpe then settle in at about 12. A few years ago one of my tx's was at ~10fpe but i've since bumped it up. While smoother to shoot I never felt real comfortable with shooting at targets that i might not have enough power to knock over. imo the trade-offs weren't worth it. 12-13fpe for a spring gun is pretty hard to beat. Its smooth and has enough uumph to knock over most targets at other clubs.

FWIW A gun/shooter may be happier at a energy level even if its a little rougher. I once shot another's tx at 16fpe which was real easy to control; Lead adds a whole lot of stability.

k

Also 10fpe in the wind is a joy; be careful what you wish for.

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td></td></tr></table>
http://www.diablofieldtarget.org
i set it up at 10 ish last night and did not like the way it shot. was not the guns sweet spot for sure. put it back to around 12 and its much better.

October 12th, 2010, 1:50 pm #10

there its the first windless day i can remember. maybe "real life" will be out at Angeles.
come on up sometime. it would be a pleasure having you with that prized spring gun you have there. great work.
NorCal Air Gunners
Ronnie Easton
President