RAW 1000X or FX Crown .25 cal

RAW 1000X or FX Crown .25 cal

December 2nd, 2017, 4:30 pm #1

I have been trying to decide between the RAW 1000X and The FX Crown in .25 cal. i know that the RAW is a heck of a gun and Martin and Sandra at RAW are wonderful people. If I ordered a RAW I would get a .25 with sporter walnut stock and offset moderator to keep the weight down. The FX Crown looks tempting, weighing in at 7.3 lbs with laminated stock and only 43" long makes the Crown tempting.
Also FX now has it's own USA distributor with service and support in NC with Earnest Rowe heading up the service dept. as well as other experienced personal. This is HUGE !
Has Anybody shot both guns yet and can give any input ?
Last edited by bzizzi373 on December 2nd, 2017, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 2nd, 2017, 5:19 pm #2

Grant it I have never owned a FX Crown I can speak for my experience with the RAW.

It is a gem of a rifle.

Bought it new and I have called for support ona few occasions - never because anything was wrong, rather to ask some questions. I mention that because getting to talk with either Sandra or directly to Martin is a bonus in my opinion. Great people as you say.

Good luck with your choice.

Get the RAW!

~GOD BLESS~

john

December 2nd, 2017, 6:24 pm #3

I have been trying to decide between the RAW 1000X and The FX Crown in .25 cal. i know that the RAW is a heck of a gun and Martin and Sandra at RAW are wonderful people. If I ordered a RAW I would get a .25 with sporter walnut stock and offset moderator to keep the weight down. The FX Crown looks tempting, weighing in at 7.3 lbs with laminated stock and only 43" long makes the Crown tempting.
Also FX now has it's own USA distributor with service and support in NC with Earnest Rowe heading up the service dept. as well as other experienced personal. This is HUGE !
I look at it this way, if you want to tinker get the FX.

If you want it to just work great right from the box and day to day, get the RAW.

With the FX you are a lot more likely to need that service and support.

I like to tinker and I would still buy the RAW.

I've shot a RAW but not shot a Crown. I've owned and shot other FX rifles though.

December 2nd, 2017, 6:40 pm #4

?
Last edited by KTM250XC on December 24th, 2017, 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 2nd, 2017, 6:47 pm #5

Id go with a RAW,,,,,i see quite a few posts on forums where there FX rifle is leaking or needs some kind of service.Very rarely see that with RAW.Before i bought though id go to a FT shoot and try to handle both and look at the build quality first hand and make a decision from there.

December 2nd, 2017, 9:32 pm #6

I have had a Webley Spectre (FX Cyclone) for a few years and it's hands down the flimsiest rifle I've ever owned. It's only failed a couple times from poorly machined trigger parts and brass parts shaving themselves to bits. But it usually functions fine and is accurate so I like it.

Ever seen the trigger setup on a Royale/Cyclone and a lot of FXs? Pretty cheesy and not really even a two stage. But it works.

And how about the issues with the Impact?

There is a reason they are lightweight.

Most are great rifles, but all the ones I've shot and owned were far from "robust". But that may not be a factor in some folks decisions and that's perfectly understandable.

The "tinkering" I was referring to with the Crown was all the tuneable parts. Swapping barrel liners, twist rates, regulator settings, etc. If you like to tinker with adjustments and tuning, it's right up your alley. If the thought of knocking something out of whack and not knowing how to adjust it back into place scares you, then the Crown would be a poor fit for you.

The opposite can be said for the RAW. Not as much "tinkering" available, but it just shoots very good right from the box with a very unlikely chance of ever needing adjustments.

It's all in what each particular airgunner is looking for. And luckily for us, there are choices to suit everyone.

Unlucky for me, I'm poor so I couldn't afford either!

December 2nd, 2017, 10:17 pm #7

Id go with a RAW,,,,,i see quite a few posts on forums where there FX rifle is leaking or needs some kind of service.Very rarely see that with RAW.Before i bought though id go to a FT shoot and try to handle both and look at the build quality first hand and make a decision from there.
I was in AZ last week, so I was able to swing by AOA. I won't name names but they said that they encounter problems with the FX every now and then. They sing high praises for their Daystates though. They said it is their most robust brand of airguns.

December 2nd, 2017, 10:47 pm #8

I have had a Webley Spectre (FX Cyclone) for a few years and it's hands down the flimsiest rifle I've ever owned. It's only failed a couple times from poorly machined trigger parts and brass parts shaving themselves to bits. But it usually functions fine and is accurate so I like it.

Ever seen the trigger setup on a Royale/Cyclone and a lot of FXs? Pretty cheesy and not really even a two stage. But it works.

And how about the issues with the Impact?

There is a reason they are lightweight.

Most are great rifles, but all the ones I've shot and owned were far from "robust". But that may not be a factor in some folks decisions and that's perfectly understandable.

The "tinkering" I was referring to with the Crown was all the tuneable parts. Swapping barrel liners, twist rates, regulator settings, etc. If you like to tinker with adjustments and tuning, it's right up your alley. If the thought of knocking something out of whack and not knowing how to adjust it back into place scares you, then the Crown would be a poor fit for you.

The opposite can be said for the RAW. Not as much "tinkering" available, but it just shoots very good right from the box with a very unlikely chance of ever needing adjustments.

It's all in what each particular airgunner is looking for. And luckily for us, there are choices to suit everyone.

Unlucky for me, I'm poor so I couldn't afford either!
"
Last edited by KTM250XC on December 24th, 2017, 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 2nd, 2017, 11:39 pm #9

Just received a .25 HM 1000X with the slow twist poly barrel and I have never held a more perfect hunter - at least by my standards.

Bought my first PCP in 1991. Played the FT Circuit seriously for 15 years and served for seven years on the AAFTA BOG.
Have been fortunate to have friends who let me shoot almost every FT rifle available. And although my own FT rifle was a Whiscombe, the safe is full of pcps from a variety of makers.

That said, the .25 HMX shoots as well at the FT distance of 55 yds as any rifle I have ever handled. The trigger is superb beyond description.
At 100 yds with 34 gr. JSBs it smacks the tar out of 2" heavy steel spinner. IMHO opinion, Martin makes the best sporter out there and has the best service. That includes my Air Wolf that I custom ordered from Gary when he still owned the company. Got an extra trigger and battery pack expecting to love it forever. However, after two weeks the bottle started leaning and it has been a safe queen ever since as I wasn't impressed enough to bother to fix it.

Just my opinion, but go for the EAW product.

December 2nd, 2017, 11:48 pm #10

Let me clarify, again.

First off, I never said the trigger in the Royale was bad or performed poorly. But it is a rather, um, "agricultural" design. But it works, and works well.

I'm not criticizing the Crown because of it's adjustable features. I'm just saying that a totally adjustable/tuneable/tinkerable rifle is not for everyone, and especially the guy who can't change a breech seal oring or other small maintenance task. The RAW would be better for a guy in those shoes. It's simple, not super adjustable, and overbuilt.

Now for the guy that can reseal his own rifle, tune a PCP for the desired power at the most efficiency, and experiment with twist rates to accomplish what he wants, the Crown is the right rifle for him. He would probably find the RAW rather boring and lame.

Everyone is different, and wants something different. Myself, I like the RAW because they shoot great and are proven rugged. That's important because of the type of hunting I do. I'm not a paper puncher.

Speaking of different kinds of people, I can tell from your attitude that a rifle called "The Crown" would be the ONLY rifle worthy to grace your hands ... LOL See? Something for everyone.

And on another note, I ride junky ole Suzukis and Yamahas. I see you are a KTM fan. Naturally, FX rifles would suit you better.
Last edited by limbshaker on December 2nd, 2017, 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.