Rare summer camp experience: butchery.

Rare summer camp experience: butchery.

August 4th, 2012, 12:39 pm #1

My kids go to a camp in Lake Placid called Treetops. Its a little crunchy-feely with no shooting sports allowed. I assumed they were typical leftist artist types, but they also banned the reading aloud of "Confederacy of Dunces" a Pulitzer Prize winning novel from the 1960s (at least they didn't take it away from my son so he can read it himself).

The place is a working farm as well as a summer camp. The kids plant and harvest crops for the table. They also raise pigs and chickens for food. Beginning on slide #79 you can see that at least they allow the campers to really see where their food comes from. It is a little graphic.

http://www.nct.org/cf_media/index.cfm?obj=7863

Of course it could be a conspiracy to turn them all into vegans...which it tends to do.

August 4th, 2012, 7:16 pm #2

Overpriced private school that pays staff squat. My sister worked there for awhile a secretary before she went back to school and got her teaching degree(which like a lot of parochial schools they save $ by not having to hire certified teachers).
Last edited by 22MK1 on August 4th, 2012, 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 4th, 2012, 7:53 pm #3

...but I don't know if it is OVER priced. I am spending quite a bit ($15k for 7 weeks), but the opportunities offered at CTT are not found locally. They do house and feed the kids (the kitchen and menu are superb). The camp experience excludes all bothersome electronics and REQUIRES swimming and horseback riding everyday. Also REQUIRES a quiet hour of reading and letter writing to parents each day.

My son is living in a tent with a German, a Moslem, and a NYC boy. My daughter will be drumming with a woman who flew to CTT from London after doing several performance for the Olympics. Can't argue with that level of opportunity.

I can't confirm the lack of teacher certification at the boarding school, but I do know that the certified teachers in my local school district are failing my kids in every way. We can't seem to compel the certified, local teachers to do better since they are in the union and protected from any meaningful criticism. They get their 100% healthcare and 70-80% pension at my expense for the rest of their lives after they retire regardless of their quality and results, so why should they bother to actually do a decent job while on the job?

Any camp where kids have to kill and butcher the animals they raise is pretty neat in my book. Wish they would teach them how to set a snare with materials found nearby.

The camp has a George Rickey sculpture given by the artist himself (his son went there)!! Doh! Where do you get that kind of legacy anywhere else?

August 4th, 2012, 8:04 pm #4

OK...I now understand the bow tie.

August 4th, 2012, 9:09 pm #5

My kids go to a camp in Lake Placid called Treetops. Its a little crunchy-feely with no shooting sports allowed. I assumed they were typical leftist artist types, but they also banned the reading aloud of "Confederacy of Dunces" a Pulitzer Prize winning novel from the 1960s (at least they didn't take it away from my son so he can read it himself).

The place is a working farm as well as a summer camp. The kids plant and harvest crops for the table. They also raise pigs and chickens for food. Beginning on slide #79 you can see that at least they allow the campers to really see where their food comes from. It is a little graphic.

Of course it could be a conspiracy to turn them all into vegans...which it tends to do.
When we were kidssssssssss we got to play with dirt.

ssssSnake

August 4th, 2012, 9:22 pm #6

OK...I now understand the bow tie.
Should have been a camo Bow tie.

ssssSnake

August 4th, 2012, 10:06 pm #7

Farmers should be raising other peoples kids instead of corn.
Sounds more profitable.

August 4th, 2012, 10:53 pm #8

Should have been a camo Bow tie.

ssssSnake
You think I didn't do the quick Airgun Calculator to see how many custom stocks and Euro springers I could be stroking right now? You know what kind of Colt Gold Cup these summer camps add up to? This is the third year! It tweaks me to no end. Heck, I could have had my house painted by some nut other than me for that price.

But...I figured it is an investment. Coop and Grace are still very impressionable. All their experiences add up to better people in the long run. Also it is a gift to them. Grace is testing in the 100th percentile on the State exams. Cooper is at 95-98th percentile with advanced math. He will continue advanced math and take 8th grade English when he starts 7th grade. I work them like dogs and figure they deserve some pampering over the summer.

And let me add to the benefit...7 weeks with no kids...no interruptions...no need to close the door or explain that "when a man loves a woman some times it sounds a little scary....".

And why is everybody down on my ties?

Hate to think what you say about my hats!

Yeah, and I write with fountain pens so bite me.

August 4th, 2012, 11:09 pm #9

Farmers should be raising other peoples kids instead of corn.
Sounds more profitable.
If you lose your corn crop the government is there to help you.

If you lose my kids...well...I have a lot of time to plan something very special for you.

Seriously, taking on people's kids is a real big deal. They go on multi-day campouts in the high peaks, paddle moving water, even the horses are serious risks. Takes staff and training and supplies. That all takes money.

August 4th, 2012, 11:22 pm #10

You think I didn't do the quick Airgun Calculator to see how many custom stocks and Euro springers I could be stroking right now? You know what kind of Colt Gold Cup these summer camps add up to? This is the third year! It tweaks me to no end. Heck, I could have had my house painted by some nut other than me for that price.

But...I figured it is an investment. Coop and Grace are still very impressionable. All their experiences add up to better people in the long run. Also it is a gift to them. Grace is testing in the 100th percentile on the State exams. Cooper is at 95-98th percentile with advanced math. He will continue advanced math and take 8th grade English when he starts 7th grade. I work them like dogs and figure they deserve some pampering over the summer.

And let me add to the benefit...7 weeks with no kids...no interruptions...no need to close the door or explain that "when a man loves a woman some times it sounds a little scary....".

And why is everybody down on my ties?

Hate to think what you say about my hats!

Yeah, and I write with fountain pens so bite me.
In my part of the country a typical male portrait would include a hard hat with two beers duct-taped on the sides and possibly a channel catfish suspended from the left fist...

You raise those kids just like you're doing. I've always thought you were doing a great job of it. They are your kids and it's your money...end of story.

But did you have to leave me with that "man loves a woman" visual?...yeeggggh!!!!