Rapid Air Weapons TM1000 first shots and chrony string

Rapid Air Weapons TM1000 first shots and chrony string

March 12th, 2012, 2:23 am #1

Well, Everything must have gone well on the jobsite last night. I did not get a phone call so I had a chance to sleep in and then shoot my new gun about mid-afternoon.

I went to up to Jim Russell' place and set up my B&D workmate "benchrest table" with a couple of phone books and my leaking sandbags. We set up my pellet trap along his back wall at 25 yards distance.

My primary goal was to get some rudimentary sight settings, then fill the air cylinder and keep shooting until there was an obvious change in point of impact. I grabbed an old tin of JSB 10.5 heavies and went to work. I was fairly protected from the wind alongside his garage, but at the back of his yard, near the corner of the wall, the wind was swirling with occasional gusts. Not much, but in the neighborhood of 3 to 7 mph. You could see the trees moving, but I had no other indicator of wind speed or direction. I held center of bullseye and let the pellets fall where they wanted. This would give me an idea of group size and how much the pellets moved in the wind.

Here is the chrony string for 75 shots. I fired them in groups of 5 shots to a target, in order from target 1 through target 16:

[/IMG]

And here is the target the corresponds to the chrony string above:

[/IMG]

Although I am not overjoyed with the groups fired, I still need to narrow down my search for the ideal pellet. This tin of heavies could have been from that bad batch that JSB had a few years ago. I will buy some new pellets of recent manufacture and give them a try. As stated earlier, my primary goal was to see what velocities I was getting. I am well pleased with that.

I will say that the firing cycle was quick, with just the slightest bit of muzzle rise; maybe as much as a pellet diameter on target. I might have to add some weight to counteract that and see what happens.

All in all, I am pleased with this first outing with the new gun. Once I get the right pellets running through it, it should be just fine. I have to allow it to break in also. After a tin or two, it should tighten right up.

Best regards,
Mark

March 12th, 2012, 4:32 am #2

the power between 870-885. May shrink your groups. 50yd testing will tell...c

March 12th, 2012, 4:46 am #3

Shooting between 870-885 gives the best groups with the PCP's I have have tried. I had the power boosted on my Steyr to 918 fps and was very disappointed with the resulting groups. I now shoot my "20' lb gun at 880 with the JSB Heavies.

Good luck and have fun with the new gun.

Greg S

March 12th, 2012, 5:37 am #4

Well, Everything must have gone well on the jobsite last night. I did not get a phone call so I had a chance to sleep in and then shoot my new gun about mid-afternoon.

I went to up to Jim Russell' place and set up my B&D workmate "benchrest table" with a couple of phone books and my leaking sandbags. We set up my pellet trap along his back wall at 25 yards distance.

My primary goal was to get some rudimentary sight settings, then fill the air cylinder and keep shooting until there was an obvious change in point of impact. I grabbed an old tin of JSB 10.5 heavies and went to work. I was fairly protected from the wind alongside his garage, but at the back of his yard, near the corner of the wall, the wind was swirling with occasional gusts. Not much, but in the neighborhood of 3 to 7 mph. You could see the trees moving, but I had no other indicator of wind speed or direction. I held center of bullseye and let the pellets fall where they wanted. This would give me an idea of group size and how much the pellets moved in the wind.

Here is the chrony string for 75 shots. I fired them in groups of 5 shots to a target, in order from target 1 through target 16:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Although I am not overjoyed with the groups fired, I still need to narrow down my search for the ideal pellet. This tin of heavies could have been from that bad batch that JSB had a few years ago. I will buy some new pellets of recent manufacture and give them a try. As stated earlier, my primary goal was to see what velocities I was getting. I am well pleased with that.

I will say that the firing cycle was quick, with just the slightest bit of muzzle rise; maybe as much as a pellet diameter on target. I might have to add some weight to counteract that and see what happens.

All in all, I am pleased with this first outing with the new gun. Once I get the right pellets running through it, it should be just fine. I have to allow it to break in also. After a tin or two, it should tighten right up.

Best regards,
Mark
Mark I like your system of testing your new gun. How far from the muzzle do you place the chronograph? I ask because I got mine last Friday and my preliminary testing with AA 10.34 with the muzzle approximately 6" from the first sensor is giving me an average of 930 fps. I am about 9' above sea level shooting indoors (for chronograph testing) with a temperature of 78 degrees. I thought this to be a bit hot ....I am used to shooting my USFT with the same pellets at 880fps. I have tried for a few groups but it has been so windy here that it is hard to tell if it is the gun, conditions or the trigger puller. I managed a few sub dime sized groups at fifty yards but most were about an inch. I know that the gun needs a few pellets through it to get the barrel "seasoned". I too noticed a slight muzzle flip and am contemplating some kind of weight up front.

Saturday night I adjusted the trigger down to about two ounces with a very, very short first stage and a very crisp second stage that breaks like glass without warning. I never got an opportunity to shoot it yesterday but hopefully I will be able to do so this evening after work.

I will definitely set up my testing method the way you are doing yours. Thanks for sharing your findings thus far....I will try to document my progress with pics and do likewise. The journey begins....

Life is short...slow down and enjoy
http://www.activevacuums.com

March 12th, 2012, 12:20 pm #5

maybe 18" even. make sure your gun is level and parallel with the sensors and not angled side to side. be careful about your light sorce. Don't use florescent lights overhead. use tungsten with diffusion.

March 12th, 2012, 1:43 pm #6

is to know what is an "acceptable/standard" distance from the chronograph. I am using a ProChrono with their infrared light system.

March 12th, 2012, 2:00 pm #7

the power between 870-885. May shrink your groups. 50yd testing will tell...c

I have an email in to RAW asking questions about that.

I also plan on getting some "new" pellets and trying different ones. This is the first firing of the gun and I know it will take some time to season the barrel and settle down.

I still have my CR-X ST and I know what it is capable of. I believe this gun will also be a winner.

Thanks for the advise.

March 12th, 2012, 2:10 pm #8

Mark I like your system of testing your new gun. How far from the muzzle do you place the chronograph? I ask because I got mine last Friday and my preliminary testing with AA 10.34 with the muzzle approximately 6" from the first sensor is giving me an average of 930 fps. I am about 9' above sea level shooting indoors (for chronograph testing) with a temperature of 78 degrees. I thought this to be a bit hot ....I am used to shooting my USFT with the same pellets at 880fps. I have tried for a few groups but it has been so windy here that it is hard to tell if it is the gun, conditions or the trigger puller. I managed a few sub dime sized groups at fifty yards but most were about an inch. I know that the gun needs a few pellets through it to get the barrel "seasoned". I too noticed a slight muzzle flip and am contemplating some kind of weight up front.

Saturday night I adjusted the trigger down to about two ounces with a very, very short first stage and a very crisp second stage that breaks like glass without warning. I never got an opportunity to shoot it yesterday but hopefully I will be able to do so this evening after work.

I will definitely set up my testing method the way you are doing yours. Thanks for sharing your findings thus far....I will try to document my progress with pics and do likewise. The journey begins....

....positioned about one foot in front of the muzzle on a camera tripod.

The gun is on sandbags on my Black & Decker workmate (not ideal, but it works) and everything is in alignment.

I figure that I could kill two birds with one stone by shooting over the chrony for velocity numbers at the same time I was shooting for group. That way there is a direct correlation of numbers with printed groups on the target. One could be directly compared with the other.

Here is Phoenix, I am shooting at 1200 feet above sea level and the temps yesterday were mild. It was a bit windy and I just held the same point of aim throughout. I wanted to see what kind of impact the wind had with this gun. Also, it was only at 25 yards. I want to stretch it's legs at some point but am being patient with the break in period. Given time, the correct pellet, and the ideal velocity, it should do just fine.

I have had this gun for 2 weeks now and yesterday was the first chance I had to shoot it. Getting the time to shoot (when not working) is the primary goal, and then getting the distance. I only have 9 yards across my (condo) patio.

I will keep you posted.
Mark

March 12th, 2012, 3:54 pm #9

I have an email in to RAW asking questions about that.

I also plan on getting some "new" pellets and trying different ones. This is the first firing of the gun and I know it will take some time to season the barrel and settle down.

I still have my CR-X ST and I know what it is capable of. I believe this gun will also be a winner.

Thanks for the advise.
You may have to shoot preped CPH...c

March 12th, 2012, 4:34 pm #10

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Best regards,
Mark
Thank you Mark for sharing the info. Do you think you will be able to get 80 regulated shots at 19 fpe?