Rainstorm stock modification pics

Rainstorm stock modification pics

July 7th, 2012, 3:09 am #1

I did a little modding on my rainstorm stock.I'm 5'2 on my best day.So I found the rifle stock to be a little long.First I determined that I needed 1 3/4 off the back of the stock.After cutting the end of the stock off I used wood putty to fill in the gaps.And sanded using the flat piece of wood that I cut off to perfectly blend in the seams.

I then proceeded to carve a custom hand grip using a pocket knife and sand paper.This took around an hour and a half.I know there are faster ways but I'm limited on tools and I like to get a feel for what I'm doing and sometimes tools make it easy to over do it.

The fit wasn't bad but it wasn't really perfect.And then it hit me."WOOD PUTTY"So I carved a little deeper then I needed so I could slap on some wood putty, after letting it dry a little to a clay type mixture I put my hand in a wall-mart bag and gripped the handle.Finally a truly custom grip made just for me.After sanding and touching up I impregnated the whole stock in low viscosity fiberglass resin to bond everything together and strengthen the wood from dings. I had the stock in the oven on 150 for 30 min to heat up the wood and putty to make sure the resin penetrated deeply , and then more sanding.

Then I used truck bed liner to coat the whole stock.I found the texture to be little too sandy for my liking so I took 1000 grit paper and smoothed everything out except where my hand made contact with the grip.Then I took more texture off of the cheek comb till it was baby smooth.So the stock has 3 textures to it.

The grip fits perfect and it shoulders much nicer now. And I don't have to stretch uncomfortably.

Oh and before anyone says anything I know my kitchen floor is dirty.I didn't notice the trash that was behind the trash can until I moved it took the picture and put it in this post.

Thank you for your time and God Bless

July 7th, 2012, 3:23 am #2

Looks like some Wizardry to me.

" Badges? We don't need no stinking badges"

Member of "North American Airgun Shooters and Collectors Association" NAAGSCA

July 7th, 2012, 5:18 am #3

I did a little modding on my rainstorm stock.I'm 5'2 on my best day.So I found the rifle stock to be a little long.First I determined that I needed 1 3/4 off the back of the stock.After cutting the end of the stock off I used wood putty to fill in the gaps.And sanded using the flat piece of wood that I cut off to perfectly blend in the seams.

I then proceeded to carve a custom hand grip using a pocket knife and sand paper.This took around an hour and a half.I know there are faster ways but I'm limited on tools and I like to get a feel for what I'm doing and sometimes tools make it easy to over do it.

The fit wasn't bad but it wasn't really perfect.And then it hit me."WOOD PUTTY"So I carved a little deeper then I needed so I could slap on some wood putty, after letting it dry a little to a clay type mixture I put my hand in a wall-mart bag and gripped the handle.Finally a truly custom grip made just for me.After sanding and touching up I impregnated the whole stock in low viscosity fiberglass resin to bond everything together and strengthen the wood from dings. I had the stock in the oven on 150 for 30 min to heat up the wood and putty to make sure the resin penetrated deeply , and then more sanding.

Then I used truck bed liner to coat the whole stock.I found the texture to be little too sandy for my liking so I took 1000 grit paper and smoothed everything out except where my hand made contact with the grip.Then I took more texture off of the cheek comb till it was baby smooth.So the stock has 3 textures to it.

The grip fits perfect and it shoulders much nicer now. And I don't have to stretch uncomfortably.

Oh and before anyone says anything I know my kitchen floor is dirty.I didn't notice the trash that was behind the trash can until I moved it took the picture and put it in this post.

Thank you for your time and God Bless
comment . It took about an hour after work for two weeks to get it this far. Next is magnetic magazine holders on the right side of the comb (inletted of course) . And an adjustable comb riser for a better cheak weld, But first I need to find a way to shave some weight before I add some more. With everything together and with a sling it's 9.2 pounds. God Bless