Question on Gamo Hunter Sport...

Question on Gamo Hunter Sport...

February 3rd, 2007, 9:38 pm #1

Today I took it out for a little hunt and noticed while shooting a little practice sesion that it was considerably loud(Temp. 24F). Now granted its been a while since I shot it myself, but I don't recal this much report. Also it seemed to show a little bit more power(@ 10yds shot through .75" backstop) and when shooting on paper it didn't want to group. I shot and shot thinking mabe it needs to warm up, but never grouped. The best I got was a .5" group at 10yds which is terrable compared to what it used to shoot(one holers) at that range. Can yo guys help me out with this?
Thanks,

sav300

"You can never own to many guns"

February 3rd, 2007, 9:51 pm #2

My son's will sometimes do that and its not (dieseling). I replaced the breech seal and it got alittle better. Also your .5" groups at 10 yards maybe fine with the stock scope. My sons would do the same thnig, one holers and then the next day 1/2" groups at 10 yards. It was scope parallax. I replaced the scope and it shots great now for a stock gun.

February 3rd, 2007, 10:27 pm #3

when fired it would echo like a 22LR. I don't think it was breaking the sound barrier(big difference), but could the breech seal change the report that much? What kind of scope did you replace it with? Thanks,

sav300

February 3rd, 2007, 10:32 pm #4

It was sounding loud right at the gun. The breech seal did seem to help for me. Also the scope is a BSA 3-12X44 and it really fits the gun nice and it works great.

February 4th, 2007, 12:26 am #5

The one gun may have been stored in a way where the lubes in the gun made their way into the compression chamber. And yes with this situation it would be nearly impossible to group. Obviously this would explain the penetration which is far more than the 1000 series guns can do.

I guess if one of the seals was in real bad shape there could be a louder than usual noise b/c the air is escaping rapidly. The solution to this is a chronograph. Then you know if you are getting average velocities or not. With deiseling the velocity numbers will be high and very inconsistent. Usually they will be a bit cyclic. For example 910, 920, 925, 900, 915,915, 925, 900. It from the lubes burning partially, building up and then burning off more completely.

Good luck, hope you sort out the problems.

February 4th, 2007, 5:55 am #6

Today I took it out for a little hunt and noticed while shooting a little practice sesion that it was considerably loud(Temp. 24F). Now granted its been a while since I shot it myself, but I don't recal this much report. Also it seemed to show a little bit more power(@ 10yds shot through .75" backstop) and when shooting on paper it didn't want to group. I shot and shot thinking mabe it needs to warm up, but never grouped. The best I got was a .5" group at 10yds which is terrable compared to what it used to shoot(one holers) at that range. Can yo guys help me out with this?
Thanks,

sav300

after a clean and air chamber clean out it is actualy very impressive. Took a rag to clean it externaly and the took a surenge(sorry if its not spelled correct)with out the needle to suck out any oils(found some, but not enough to diesle that long). Once that was done I decided to shoot some targets and it was alot better. All holes touching at 10yds. But it was still loud so I pulled out the chrony and heres what I got(with scaled CP's @ 7.97GRS ave.):

1)999
2)989
3)1001
4)998
5)992
6)1004
7)986
8)1007
9)987
10)991

This come to an ave of: 995.4FPS!!! This also brings a muzzle energy of: 17.4FTLBS!!! Now you must know that this gun has had a minimum of 1,500RDS through it. This is also UN-TUNED! I don't know what happend, but this is one hell of a gun. It must have finaly broke in and peaked. I'm just wondering if this is a short term deal or if it will maintain this type of velocity because I have never, I mean never herd of a gamo that was untuned atchieve this type of velocity. Will keep you posted.

sav300

February 4th, 2007, 5:50 pm #7

nt

February 4th, 2007, 8:14 pm #8

Thanks,

sav300

oil from the chamber? I've had it diesle when it was new and it was way louder than this(simply because it was breaking the sound barrier). I don't understand it. Normaly when a rifle diesles it doesn't group. Even this morning it was loud and grouped well. Could it honestly be diesling for this long? Thanks for your help,

sav300