Question for Wisconsin (perhaps other states) shooters.

Question for Wisconsin (perhaps other states) shooters.

April 1st, 2012, 1:25 pm #1

Guys,

I'm going turkey hunting on my family's Wisconsin farm in May. I just got my permit and was reading through the ...2012 Spring Turkey Regulations. and on page 4, under "General Small Game Hunting Regulations" ss "Rifles" it states.

...Rifle means a firearm or airgun designed to be fired from the shoulder, by the energy of an explosive propellant or by compressed air, used to fire single projectile for each pull of the trigger through a rifled or smooth barrel.

it continues

It is legal to hunt unprotected species, small game mammals, and furbearing animals with a rifle except that it is illegal to:
-possess a rifle with a barrel length of less than 16 inches
{other unrelated items omitted for brevity}

HOLY CRAP?????!!!! no pellet guns with barrels less than 16" can be POSSESSED????? Note it doesn't say you can't hunt them, but you cannot POSSESS them. To me that means "own" one.

I'm guessing CO2 are ok, since it is not compressed air..but what about the rest of them?

The P-rod with stock attached would certainly fall victim to this law.

Any thoughts?

Jim

Last edited by Marmot_Militia on April 1st, 2012, 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 1st, 2012, 2:43 pm #2

I grew up in Wisconsin. I never even thought about that law because who makes a rifle with a less than sixteen inch barrel? Even the shrouded airgun at least appear to have sixteen inch barrels. Look at it this way, if it appears, because of sleeve or shroud or whatever (from the *factory*) to be by the book correct, they aren't going to bother with it.

Wisconsin has odd laws just like any other state. I live in Minnesota now and found some odd sounding ones here too.

Harv

April 1st, 2012, 4:20 pm #3

Guys,

I'm going turkey hunting on my family's Wisconsin farm in May. I just got my permit and was reading through the ...2012 Spring Turkey Regulations. and on page 4, under "General Small Game Hunting Regulations" ss "Rifles" it states.

...Rifle means a firearm or airgun designed to be fired from the shoulder, by the energy of an explosive propellant or by compressed air, used to fire single projectile for each pull of the trigger through a rifled or smooth barrel.

it continues

It is legal to hunt unprotected species, small game mammals, and furbearing animals with a rifle except that it is illegal to:

HOLY CRAP?????!!!! no pellet guns with barrels less than 16" can be POSSESSED????? Note it doesn't say you can't hunt them, but you cannot POSSESS them. To me that means "own" one.

I'm guessing CO2 are ok, since it is not compressed air..but what about the rest of them?

Any thoughts?

Jim

Even rifles / Carbines with a factory 16" BBL like the UZI Mod A had to be retrofit with an 18" BBL (Exchange only) or the entire firearm was illegal. Unless, you can apply for a SBR (Short barreled rifle) permit and a fed $200 tax stamp.
Last edited by greasy46 on April 1st, 2012, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 1st, 2012, 6:00 pm #4

Guys,

it continues

Any thoughts?

Jim

responsible for that and question them on their interpretation of that. The wording may have been there and the term and description"airgun" may have been added later.

Know guns, Know peace, know liberty.
No guns, no peace no liberty.

April 2nd, 2012, 2:49 am #5

Guys,

it continues

Any thoughts?

Jim

First off, don't quote me. I'm not a lawyer or a paid employee of the WDNR. I am a volunteer Hunter Safety Instructor in Wisconsin and I've listened to Wardens give their prepared presentation during dozens of our classes. Plus I've been a resident of Wisconsin for most of my life (46 years.) This is how I believe Wisconsin "sees" airguns:

For the purposes of hunting, airguns can be used for anything you can use a .22 rimfire for. That is to say no deer, no bear, and NOTHING with feathers. Unless it's an air shotgun of course. But an airgun for all other furry small game is OK. As far as barrel length is concerned Wisconsin defaults to Federal Gun Law which is to say firearm shotguns must have 18" or better barrels and be 26" or better overall, firearm rifles must have 16" or better barrels and 26" overall. Federal law places no restrictions on airgun rifle barrel length. Wisconsin then adds a twist for pistols. Pistols for big game (bear and deer) must be minimum 5.5"(firing pin to muzzle, action closed) and chambered for a centerfire cartridge of .22" or bigger. Pistols for small game must have a barrel of 4" or longer.

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/hunt/regs/deer.pdf

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/hun ... smgame.pdf

The more I look at the regs it could be interpreted to mean that if it is an airRIFLE it must have a barrel of 16" or better to hunt with but I think this is just an unfortunate juxtaposition of sentences. I don't think Wisconsin intends to overstep Federal firearms law but I will definately pose this question to the warden at the next class. Jim, keep in touch with me via my email if you wish. Our next class doesn't start for a couple of weeks and I don't want to forget bout this as I intend to continue to hunt with airguns. All my air rifles to date have had at least 18" of barrel but who knows what the future might bring if Crosman adds the 1322 to the Custom Shop. I just might end up with a 14" barreled carbine.

I just realized that a couple of my messages might have gotten buried in the mix. To be clear,you CAN possess an air rifle in Wisconsin with a barrel less than 16". You may or may not be able to hunt with it. You absolutely CAN NOT hunt turkey with a rifle in Wisconsin; be it fire, air, CO2 or other. If it has feathers in Wisconsin it can only be hunted with shotguns.
Last edited by RockDoc65 on April 2nd, 2012, 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 5th, 2012, 11:24 pm #6

I also will be contacting the DNR about this.

Jim