Question about Moly

Question about Moly

September 27th, 2006, 12:42 am #1

I have a small jar of moly paste made by Hoppes. I had just read something recently that there are different percentages of moly in various moly type products. I can't seem to find an ingredient list or percentage listed for the Hoppes paste. I have seen suggestions that people should use Honda moly and it got me thinking. I'm getting together a "shopping" list for a tune I want to perform on my shadow supreme (will be my first one) Does anyone here use Hoppes moly paste? Or should I get the Honda Moly, or something else and use it instead. Thanks.

September 27th, 2006, 12:47 am #2

September 27th, 2006, 3:21 am #3

I have a small jar of moly paste made by Hoppes. I had just read something recently that there are different percentages of moly in various moly type products. I can't seem to find an ingredient list or percentage listed for the Hoppes paste. I have seen suggestions that people should use Honda moly and it got me thinking. I'm getting together a "shopping" list for a tune I want to perform on my shadow supreme (will be my first one) Does anyone here use Hoppes moly paste? Or should I get the Honda Moly, or something else and use it instead. Thanks.
Tub of moly paste is $8 and a large "heavy tar" for the spring is also $8. With that you'll be set for several airguns. I know the tube of moly assembly paste from Honda will set you back $30 or more. The JM products are time-tested to not cause problems with seals and I don't know anywhere you can get spring tar like his. Here's a link.

http://www.airguns.citymax.com/page/page/251484.htm

September 27th, 2006, 5:26 am #4

The tube I bought from Honda a few months ago cost me just a little over 13 bucks.

There is enough to do a hundred rifles.

September 27th, 2006, 6:55 am #5

Just did a Google search for "Honda Moly assembly paste" and there it is on-line! Here are a couple of links I found.

http://www.wingworx.com/index.asp?PageA ... ProdID=929

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/mer ... Lubricants

Looks like it comes in a 3-oz tube.

Don't know of any good replacement for JM's spring tar. It's super thick, thicker than any grease, so it stays put on the spring. You can just use a very thin coat of moly paste on the spring. I've done that on low-powered springers when I want absolutely no power loss from the lube. It just won't help to dampen vibration that little bit like spring tar does.

September 28th, 2006, 12:27 am #6

the Hoppes Moly paste is less than adequate for springer tuning..huh? Should've asked this question 3 days ago before I placed an order with JM for a spring, seal, and heavy tar.

September 28th, 2006, 1:09 am #7

If I could find some reference to the moly content (%) in the paste I'd feel better about it. You really don't need much of the stuff to lube a piston so if that's the stuff you've got and you're ready to go otherwise I'd give it a try and just use it very sparingly. The reason for high-content moly paste is that you don't want to introduce excess lube that can burn in the compression chamber. Moly will lube the cylinder walls even if totally dry. For sure you don't want anything that has highly volatile carrier fluid in it. Since that Hoppes moly paste is intended for lubing firearm bores (high temperature and pressure) it's probably not too volatile for airguns as well. If it's nice and thick with no liquid showing (non-shiny surface) that's a good sign. Just use a tiny dab (pencil eraser sized) spread around the piston and no more. If the airgun diesels after your tune, shoot five or ten heavier pellets to burn off excess lube more quickly.

September 29th, 2006, 1:18 am #8

I've had the jar for about 2 years, but haven't used that much of it, maybe about 1/4 or so. Anyway, it is a nice thick paste, but a little moisture has developed on top. I'm thinking now that I will try to add to my order with JM and see if I can get a jar of moly from him before everything is shipped. Thanks for the help.

on Edit: Stuff already shipped, but placed another order just for the moly paste. I know this stuff will work. Thanks again.
Last edited by Mark052 on September 29th, 2006, 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 29th, 2006, 7:46 pm #9

I'm sure there are a lot of alternatives, and have even used some myself. The main things to consider for moly when used in the compression chamber are 1) how much of the paste is volatile and how much is solid (MoS2). 2) How volatile and how flamable is the carrier fluid/oil. 3) Will the carrier fluid be compatible with the seals. Moly content is the easy part, usually specified in anything you buy. Volatility/flammability of the carrier fluid is sometimes specified and sometimes not. If it's too volatile, you'll just get more dieseling for a while but not usually much of a problem The real issue is what could the carrier fluid do to the seal. That's something you may not know unless it's been extensively tested. Everything JM sells or recommends is proven long-term for use in airguns. Hey, your Hoppes moly paste is still good stuff for pivot points, etc. and you can save your JM moly paste for piston lube.

September 30th, 2006, 12:11 am #10

I'm a newbie in the tuning world so I haven't "torn down" any of my guns yet. Once I get my spring compressor finished and all the necessary parts in, I'll tear into my shadow supreme. The Hoppes moly has only been used for pivot points so I wanted to be sure before putting this stuff on internals. I'm glad I asked now! JM lubricants on internals & the Hoppes on external pivots,etc...sounds like a winner to me. Thanks again.