Question about loaning a car to someone with a suspended license.

Question about loaning a car to someone with a suspended license.

April 5th, 2012, 12:01 am #1

My elderly father has been loaning a truck to my sisters husband. This person has a suspended license and is a real loose cannon in general.

Anybody know the consequences if there is any kind of incident?....I know thats a very open set of circumstances but I'm trying to find out all I can..

My sister has told my parents that it is ok, that nothing would happen, all he would get is a warning.

This is in California...........the last thing I need is for pops to lose his *** because he trusted someone he shouldnt have...

Thanks guys, I do appreciate any help you can give.

April 5th, 2012, 12:17 am #2

When it falls apart for dad, cause he see's it as helping his daughter. I'm sure he's glad to help

April 5th, 2012, 12:27 am #3

Here in Wisconsin , the owner as well as the driver is ticketed , could run some stiff fines my friend . have dad pull the plug on being nice to the moron. Plus if the knuckle head gets into an accident your dad's insurance rates will sky rocket.JMHO
Last edited by Rebel55 on April 5th, 2012, 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 5th, 2012, 12:44 am #4

When it falls apart for dad, cause he see's it as helping his daughter. I'm sure he's glad to help
And his insurance company will likely drop him if they feel he knew the driver had a susp. license.

"The Universe is comprised mainly of two things.. hydrogen and ignorance."
John Dobson
Inventor, astronomer and metaphysical thinker.

April 5th, 2012, 12:46 am #5

My elderly father has been loaning a truck to my sisters husband. This person has a suspended license and is a real loose cannon in general.

Anybody know the consequences if there is any kind of incident?....I know thats a very open set of circumstances but I'm trying to find out all I can..

My sister has told my parents that it is ok, that nothing would happen, all he would get is a warning.

This is in California...........the last thing I need is for pops to lose his *** because he trusted someone he shouldnt have...

Liability, especially with knowledge aforethought. I think they can get your house. nt

April 5th, 2012, 12:50 am #6

<p>Any driving infractions such as DUI can be charged to your father by knownly lending the car to someone with revolked license in my State. Liability of  any accidents is the same way!</p><p>Doug S.</p>
Last edited by dsmalln on April 5th, 2012, 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 5th, 2012, 12:54 am #7

...a unlicensed and (therefore obviously) uninsurable driver, and he then has an accident that's his fault (quite likely given the habits that probably lost his license in the first place), the insurance company will deny coverage and your dad would be sued by the injured party(s) and be out of pocket for whatever the damages might be.

I.e., he really could lose his ***.

And when you think about it, that's prettymuch just as it should be. Licenses are generally revoked for good cause, and the law takes a dim view of those who aid and abet scofflaws.

Steve
Last edited by pneuguy on April 5th, 2012, 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 5th, 2012, 1:26 am #8

This is not "an open set of circumstances" ... the situation in the law is very clear. Your sister seems to be naive or stupid, (I think that you already know this is the case).

1) Letting an unlicensed driver drive the vehicle is a violation of the California vehicle code and carries a $600 fine.

2) The limitation of liability for the registered owner is typically $35,000 but this cap is not present if the driver is known by the owner "after reasonable enquiry" to be unlicensed. In this case the owner can be judged fully liable... including for a wrongful death.

3) Most insurance policies will not cover a claim when the owner violated the law and lent the vehicle to an unlicensed driver.

Yes, he could lose his house over this.

April 5th, 2012, 1:49 am #9

In my state if you lent it to him knowing he had a suspended license, you damn better report iot stolen before the cops catch him staggering away from the scene. I'm in NY but I can't imagine CA's laws are any less lax. Until they changed the law to allow for exe3mptions, every car company stopped leasing autos in NYS as a resulot.
In addition, the insurance company won't pay on any claims and insurance rates will go up astronomically(if they don't blackball you altogether), so any settlement will come from Pops home being foreclosed to cover uninsured settlements..

HW3

April 5th, 2012, 2:30 am #10

Buy him a Friggen Bus Pass ! 0;^)