Quest parts, check'em out.

Quest parts, check'em out.

August 26th, 2006, 6:07 am #1

Here is a comparison of the Quest, Gamo & JM. Check out the $12 Trigger assm. Looks like the Quest uses a different spring than the CF-x.

August 26th, 2006, 2:13 pm #2

the Gamo trigger looks better. Your take?

August 26th, 2006, 2:42 pm #3

It struck me when I looked at the parts that they are obviously not as good. The first question that I then pondered was, "did it really matter". Do the differences negatively affect anything. The spring ends don't look like they completely "close" the last coil and the sear components aren't shiney. I think it's only plating on the Gamo. The Gamo springs look a little nicer only because the last coil is closed/overlaps better. But do you really need a plated sear if the plain sear is heat treated properly? If you use a metal washer at the end of the spring and dress the ends properly will it affect performance?

The Quest parts are cheap, available and holding up nicely in my B18. I'm not afraid to go into my guns so someone who has someone else tune their gun will want good stuff inside. The seal seems to be fine and anecdotely seems to be a similar durometer. Decisions decisions

Here is the Gamo assembly for comparison.

August 26th, 2006, 3:07 pm #4

once that there was nothing cheap about the Gamo trigger. But that it suffered from a design flaw.

August 26th, 2006, 3:24 pm #5

...e.g., the trigger group in my ShadowMatic. The parts seem nicely finished.

However, although the Chinese version isn't as pretty, it seems to "GTX-ify" jus as well.

Steve

August 28th, 2006, 1:31 am #6

Here is a comparison of the Quest, Gamo & JM. Check out the $12 Trigger assm. Looks like the Quest uses a different spring than the CF-x.

How long are the Quest and the CFX springs?

The reason I'm asking is that based on my experience, a set
Shadow spring (which might not be the
same as a CFX) and Quest spring come in at just
about the same length - 10.75 inches. Unless the spring has
been subject to dieseling, in which case either spring can
get crunched down quite a bit.

This is based on new, production replacement parts from Crosman
and low-mileage springs taken from a Gamo. Also, the Crosman
spring has more coils (which makes for a softer spring), but this
seems to be largely offset by the slightly smaller diameter (which
makes a spring stiffer).

Because of the number of coils, the coil-bind length of the Crosman
spring is greater, but it will work in the Gamo BB's IF the Crosman
tophat is used. And like I said - the Crosman spring is smaller, and
it is a tighter fit on the Gamo guide.

Also, if I read the pictures correctly, the "flaw" on the Quest seal
is well back from the lip, and shouldn't effect the sealing.

I recently put a Quest spring, tophat, and seal into my old Shadow
($10 worth of parts), and it works very well. Power is at least as
good as new, and NO TWANG! NONE! The gun is an absolute joy at the
moment, we'll see if the parts hold up.

August 28th, 2006, 3:48 am #7

Gamo CF-X spring was 10.5" when I pulled it out of the gun so although I didn't "set" it I'll assume shooting it as spaced did for the most part. The Quest spring pictured is 9 5/16 as delivered, I have not tried to set it yet. Yes the little flaw is not a problem, I thought I'd point it out as neither other seal had it. Seems your Quest spring was an inch longer than mine and I haven't even tried to set it yet.

I'll give the Crosman/Chinese stuff a chance for the price.

August 28th, 2006, 12:23 pm #8

...according to Jim Macarri, and in my experience that appears to be correct. According to Jim, the only advantage to setting a spring is to make it easier to install.

I assume that the Quest spring was used, because the free length of a new replacement spring is close to 11.5" - but like I said, either of these springs can get shortened a LOT by significant dieseling.

Anyway, it looks like the CFX spring is the same as all the other 1000fps Gamo guns.

As I said before, if the Quest spring holds up - it will have proven to be a great replacement in my Shadow.

August 28th, 2006, 4:51 pm #9

They either sent me 2 wrong springs or they have shortened the spring they are using in the Quest. Did you order your spring from Crosman?

August 28th, 2006, 10:24 pm #10

I got 3 springs about a week and a half ago, and 2 springs about 6 weeks ago. Part # C1K77-010. All the same size.

There was/is a "Quest 500"... the part number for THAT spring would've been (I think) C5M77-010.

There's NO way a spring that short would deliver anywhere NEAR the velocity they're advertising.