Quail hunting

Quail hunting

May 16th, 2017, 3:58 am #1

Last time I went after quail (with a 12 ga) in the Southern Sierras, them birds about gave me a coronary. I'm getting too old to chase them uphill at high elevation anymore, and they always run uphill.

I'm wondering if it's any easier to get them with a suitable air rifle, when they're out of shotgun range. Suckers never stop moving, so I'm thinking maybe not.

Anyone ever tried it? There are desert locations near guzzlers here in SoCal where I've seen quail that don't have as many hills to climb and should offer longer shots than possible with a shotgun.

May 16th, 2017, 9:54 am #2

<font size="3.5" color="#000000" face="Arial, Helvetica">
It seemed they were always surprised that when the first one was hit & went down, other quail ran up to it & started a sort of "mating display" over it, dancing around it & even rubbing up against it, like they were trying to breed with it. They were able to shoot many more like that, as they just kept rushing into & dancing around in the kill zone. Not the best survival instinct.

Don't forget to check hunting regs about taking them with airguns.
</font>

May 16th, 2017, 11:21 am #3

Last time I went after quail (with a 12 ga) in the Southern Sierras, them birds about gave me a coronary. I'm getting too old to chase them uphill at high elevation anymore, and they always run uphill.

I'm wondering if it's any easier to get them with a suitable air rifle, when they're out of shotgun range. Suckers never stop moving, so I'm thinking maybe not.

Anyone ever tried it? There are desert locations near guzzlers here in SoCal where I've seen quail that don't have as many hills to climb and should offer longer shots than possible with a shotgun.
I'm not sure if it's legal to take quail with anything other than a shotgun in many areas. Pay attention to legal seasons also.

http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/curre ... s.aspx#311
Last edited by DougWall on May 16th, 2017, 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 16th, 2017, 12:41 pm #4

Hunting upland game birds with an air rifle is legal in CA and a lot of fun.

I've had good success using my .22 Mrod for quail and now prefer that over my .20ga shotgun.

The brush is pretty thick where I hunt and key is to spot them at a distance and then stalk in close enough to get a shot. If I can get within 40 yards, I can often get a bird or two before the covey spooks and takes off. In contrast, one shot from a shotgun scatters the birds asap.

R
Last edited by EMrider on May 16th, 2017, 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 16th, 2017, 1:46 pm #5

You have two options and both are fairly challenging-# 1: Stalk them in heavy cover where they like to rest at midday, thread the needle through brush and then make like a snake to extract your birds from the brush. # 2: spot the covey at distance and try to get multiple shots off before they scatter. It can be difficult in both instances to find your kills as they flop around a bit and usually end up a ways from where they were hit in my experience. If you have a dog, bring him!

May 16th, 2017, 9:21 pm #6

there is usually no shot or lead left in the bird like from a shotgun

May 16th, 2017, 10:58 pm #7

Quail are gain/seed eaters, and shooting them with a pellet gun generally is on the ground (not on the wing), so that "over spill" from the bird feeder could be considered as "baiting".

Yep..are certainly a "whack-em-quick" kind of critter...always moving...always aware. NOt normally long range (at least here, they tend to stay well hidden)...so something fast handling, wide fired of view/lower power scope, and hope you run into an understanding game warden (other wise, you''' be in an orange vest pickying up trash from the side of interstate every weekend for a month or two).

May 17th, 2017, 12:24 pm #8

This time of year I probably have 100 quail walk thru my properity and back yard each day. Can't shoot them here, but if I could, it would be way too easy.