QB79 VS Disco ?

January 8th, 2016, 12:12 pm #1

I'm new to PCP guns but I have both the Disco and QB79. I think both are terrific guns but the QB series of guns is very, very tough to beat for a gun that is capable of great power in a small package. I also like the stock trigger of the QB series.

I do like the sleeker looks of the Disco, and the ease of ordering parts from Crosman (very, very nice) but on a cost basis for a tinkerer, I'm just wondering if a QB is not the way to go ? Yes the gun is ~$105 + $85 for a tank and regulator = $190.00 Vs `$260.00

Both guns are usually modified by the owner some way and the cost for reasonable mods I think is about the same, so that may be a wash. What I do like about the QB79 is the using a 3000psi tank, giving you more shots when you are in the field. I just got a .177 caliber AR2079A for field use and for my intended purpose (bench rest shooting/pest control) it is perfect, better than a Disco would be for me.

Both guns are just awesome, my QB's are being set up more for field and light hunting use, and my Disco mostly for hunting (because of it is so sleek, 20+ shots after modification is enough for hunting and I like the safety much better on the Disco, the safety on the QB series is horrible, IMHO).

What are your guys thoughts on the Disco and QB's not saying one is "BETTER" than the other, but saying maybe one is better for "YOUR" application ?, don't know !

wll2506

January 8th, 2016, 1:52 pm #2

I love the way you can mix and match formats and come up with a version that doesn't even exist in retail form.

I'll probably get around to a QB at some point in my airgun journey, as they are also highly modable(sp.?) The biggest issue I have with the format is there are no aftermarket breeches available. I'm a lefty, and no problem getting a lefty breech for a Disco or 22XX.

Rock on brother!

Vines

January 8th, 2016, 3:15 pm #3

Yes, that is another thing although Archer Airguns does have left hand versions i believe in his custom section with built in weaver rails.

wll2506

January 8th, 2016, 4:47 pm #4

I'm new to PCP guns but I have both the Disco and QB79. I think both are terrific guns but the QB series of guns is very, very tough to beat for a gun that is capable of great power in a small package. I also like the stock trigger of the QB series.

I do like the sleeker looks of the Disco, and the ease of ordering parts from Crosman (very, very nice) but on a cost basis for a tinkerer, I'm just wondering if a QB is not the way to go ? Yes the gun is ~$105 + $85 for a tank and regulator = $190.00 Vs `$260.00

Both guns are usually modified by the owner some way and the cost for reasonable mods I think is about the same, so that may be a wash. What I do like about the QB79 is the using a 3000psi tank, giving you more shots when you are in the field. I just got a .177 caliber AR2079A for field use and for my intended purpose (bench rest shooting/pest control) it is perfect, better than a Disco would be for me.

Both guns are just awesome, my QB's are being set up more for field and light hunting use, and my Disco mostly for hunting (because of it is so sleek, 20+ shots after modification is enough for hunting and I like the safety much better on the Disco, the safety on the QB series is horrible, IMHO).

What are your guys thoughts on the Disco and QB's not saying one is "BETTER" than the other, but saying maybe one is better for "YOUR" application ?, don't know !

wll2506
1. Appearance: Disco. I like the traditional appearance.
2. Trigger: QB. By a west Texas mile.
3. Barrel: QB. Both will need work to perform well but on the average, the QB barrel beats Crosman's variable quality control / process controls.
4. Weight / balance: Disco. I don't recall if the Disco is actually lighter than a QB79 but it feels lighter.
5. Energy (fpe): Tie. If you do the work to make either of these rifles perform their best, you'll end up at the same place energy-wise.
6. Regulation: For ease, it has to go to the QB but of course there are very successful examples of both.
7. Shot count: QB. Easy one, just a volume thing.
8. Gunsmithing index: Er, made that one up. Out of the box, the Disco is going to give you more power by far. For one who wishes to hunt but cannot do rudimentary gunsmithing, the Disco is probably the better choice. For paper punching and reactive targets, take your pick. If you can do the gunsmithing, the QB is probably the better choice.

January 8th, 2016, 6:14 pm #5

wll2506
Short of dropping a M-rod trigger in the disco, the QB trigger will always be better, given similar amounts of work.

Power potential of the QB valve is higher, and so is efficiency. The gauge block of the Disco strangles upstream flow, the QB can be wide open upstream.

I prefer the thicker, more reliably accurate barrels of the QB

The Disco bolt feels toylike compared to the QB, as does cycling the action

Inexpensive walnut custom stocks are easier to find for the QB

I never use the safety, just open the bolt, so that makes no nevermind.

The Disco stock is just butt ugly, IMO, though I admit the standard QB isn't exactly pretty.

January 8th, 2016, 8:04 pm #6

wll2506
the QB78 and the Disco. Out of the box the best OEM trigger goes to the QB. As I don't favor the visual appeal of Bottle guns and use bulk fill co2 I use a longer than OEM tube on the QB's that brings the shot count of both too close to call.
I would say the light weight call probably goes to the Disco.
Now, in my experience, both the QB and the Disco play in the same "If you get a good one" barrel lottery. I think that in that regard the advantage goes to Crosman since their C S will either send you a replacement barrel, or replace the gun.
It would be nice to have all the QB sales outlets stock parts and send a replacement barrel if you buy an inaccurate rifle.

January 8th, 2016, 10:48 pm #7

wll2506
Had to get a direct comparsion unless you get them both (QB HPA and Disco) running to the same energy.

Do think most of the HPA conversions I’ve read about kind of sux as efficeiency. Won’t make much difference if you fill be a tank or compresser, but as a pump filler I notice how many pumps in vs number of shots/energy of shots out.

Efficiency is seldom all that great. Can have an impressive NUMBER of shots, but the air use for those shots is seldom all that wonderful (and as a pump filler, it’s my sweat going into filling the tank, and I’d like to get the best use of that effort I can.)

Here’s an efficiency calculator:
http://www.calc.sikes.us/1/index.php

The saftey of the QB is an afterthought. It can’t easily be used from a shooting position, needs 180 degrees of rotation to work, and doesn’t go on or off easily. If you look at a lot of modded QB pictures, am sure you’ll run across quite a few where the owner just left it out. Even the ones with the safety in seldom have the safety actually used.

Just easier to leave the bolt open. With the issue cock on closing cycle, leaving the bolt open won’t let you fire it until you close the bolt.

Did work out a mod to get them to 90degrees of rotation, which does allow you to flick it on or off with your trigger finger. It’s not really worth doing unless you inlet the stock to let the safety (pointed straight down) pass.

January 8th, 2016, 11:07 pm #8

wll2506
I think the Disco is very cool and I just chronoed mine for the first time, factory gun at ~1500 PSI 845fps with CPHP's and 775fps with JSB 18.1gr Jumbos. I was happy with that.

I will shoot her tomorrow till I run out of air, and then do a RVA mod to see where that goes, a Challenger RVA and clip two coils !

wll2506

January 9th, 2016, 4:56 pm #9

Yes, that is another thing although Archer Airguns does have left hand versions i believe in his custom section with built in weaver rails.

wll2506
will have to investigate!

February 1st, 2016, 12:15 am #10

I think the Disco is very cool and I just chronoed mine for the first time, factory gun at ~1500 PSI 845fps with CPHP's and 775fps with JSB 18.1gr Jumbos. I was happy with that.

I will shoot her tomorrow till I run out of air, and then do a RVA mod to see where that goes, a Challenger RVA and clip two coils !

wll2506
I got to say I'm falling more and more in love with the QB platform. Now that I'm starting to get into the insides a bit, it really is not that hard... Reading about it freaked me out at first.

Where in the heck can you get a $105.00 gun and a $89.00 tank and with a little modification (a drill press is all you really need) and come away with a powerhouse gun that will give you much more shots than a gun that cost 2 to 3 times as much ? Not going to happen !

I love my disco's but the QB as of now is getting my vote :- )

wll2506